Offshore 7-3-21 big bft om the grande

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Fished the grande today and got absolutley rocked. Whether was cold up until the afternoon with 3-5ft swells no white caps. Wind was blowing about 10knots.

We set up about 15 miles south of Coronado and spent the whole day in that general area giving us lots of fishing time, very unusual for a bft trip.

We got into 14 fish all larger models with a couple around the 100lb mark. Most of them came in on 40lb sinker rigs with 4-6oz weights dropped to about 200'. I was bit in the am on the retrieve and the fish instantly found braid or the boat, cut my 60lb mono clean off with no curly cues and lasted all of 1 minute. Fish #2 came on the sink way too deep, I was fishing 80lb braid with 60lb mono on a penn 40nld2. The plan was to drop through the fish and work them again on the retrieve. Well I dumped about half my spool and before I set it in gear it took off like a dump truck. I went to full drag, ran up the rail and dreaded the sight of my spool burning past the last indicator ring. Long story short I couldn't stop its initial run and decided to lock in down in sunset and pray. Few seconds later zing, pop, there goes the leader..

All in all another awesome day on the water. Captain and crew was a first class act as usual. My lesson learned and new strategy will be ditching the mono top shot for more braid capacity. Also, they wanted nothing to do with heavier leaders and no one was really fishing jigs. Although two did come on them, one on a sniper type, and another on a flat fall being skipped in over some boiling fish

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Man, you got hit with a two-piece. These bluefin are some tough customers. Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    "Fish #2 came on the sink way too deep, I was fishing 80lb braid with 60lb mono on a penn 40nld2. The plan was to drop through the fish and work them again on the retrieve. Well I dumped about half my spool and before I set it in gear it took off like a dump truck. I went to full drag, ran up the rail and dreaded the sight of my spool burning past the last indicator ring. Long story short I couldn't stop its initial run and decided to lock in down in sunset and pray. Few seconds later zing, pop, there goes the leader.."

Any idea how much drag you were pulling at Full for the first part of this fight? I have a pair of Fathom 40 nld2 reels loaded with 450 yards of 80# braid. I have several times wondered about capacity, if the wrong fish happens along. Given the high breaking strength of braided line, I have been considering spooling these up with 600 yards of 65# braid to get more capacity. It is either that, or use 80# leader and give them 30# of drag from the beginning...

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    "Fish #2 came on the sink way too deep, I was fishing 80lb braid with 60lb mono on a penn 40nld2. The plan was to drop through the fish and work them again on the retrieve. Well I dumped about half my spool and before I set it in gear it took off like a dump truck. I went to full drag, ran up the rail and dreaded the sight of my spool burning past the last indicator ring. Long story short I couldn't stop its initial run and decided to lock in down in sunset and pray. Few seconds later zing, pop, there goes the leader.."

Any idea how much drag you were pulling at Full for the first part of this fight? I have a pair of Fathom 40 nld2 reels loaded with 450 yards of 80# braid. I have several times wondered about capacity, if the wrong fish happens along. Given the high breaking strength of braided line, I have been considering spooling these up with 600 yards of 65# braid to get more capacity. It is either that, or use 80# leader and give them 30# of drag from the beginning...
    I have 80lb braid on my 40nld2 as well.
    22# at the s in the strike range and 30lb at full.
    Measured direct pull off the center of the spool.

Beyond that, i notice a significant reduction in free spool capability.

Sunset measurements vary for me at this drag setting. 35-38lbs.

Are you guys seeing the same thing?

With more line out and reduced spool diameter, i think it will hit the max ~40lb.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Senko888 - i have mine set up the same way and also noticed the free spool suffered if i went any higher. Honestly it wasnt a drag problem, the problem was i dropped the sinker rig WAY deeper than i expected to get hit. So when it did happen i was SOL on trying to stop its first run.

Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    Senko888 - i have mine set up the same way and also noticed the free spool suffered if i went any higher. Honestly it wasnt a drag problem, the problem was i dropped the sinker rig WAY deeper than i expected to get hit. So when it did happen i was SOL on trying to stop its first run.
    Well it’s a good thing you let out a ton of line and got bit.

I just marked my line in 25ft increments up to 500 ft with a sharpie.
    Hopefully that will help gauge depth next trip.

Last trip i would go slightly past the 2nd mark in the spool, count the number of cranks, to get a ballpark of depth and sink rate. Then work it back and forth in the captain’s provided fish depth. A lot of guesswork and even more difficult half awake.

Getting into the strike zone is the most important thing imo. Jig type, color, line size are secondary.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    My fathom 60 has #100 on it, with a short #100 topshot. I marked it in 100' incriments, 4 marks total. (Deeper than 400 I would be in trouble anyway!) It took 550 yards of powerpro, alleged to be thicker diameter line.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Welp, sometimes you're the cob, other times you're the corn hole!

Sorry you got skunked but at least you got bit.

Upvote 0