7/29 It was 111 degrees, so I went hunting

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Had a job in Palm Springs so I brought my guns with me thinking I might have time to run down to the IV and shoot at something. Driving down Hwy 111 I looked at my temp guage and it was 111 degrees outside, so I figured that's too much of a coincidence and must be some sort of sign that I should definitely go hunting after wrapping up my work.

Might have exceeded the speed limit on my way down, but got there and settled on a spot with some ECDs and rock dove. Not wide open and my aim showed significant rust but I managed a few birds from a small shade spot that made the heat tolerable. Around 7 PM I went to an out-of-the way ditch to clean them. Bunnies started to come out and raid the adjacent alphalpha field so I pulled out my .22 and picked off a couple to add to the meat pile.

Bird volume in the IV was so-so in the limited areas I visited, but still time for an influx before the opener. Good luck!

aaadovenogps.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marcus

"Oddjob"
May 21, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Marcus
Boat
Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
Nicely done!

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
wabbits are non lead only as of july 1st

speaking of which...i wanna do some chukar hunting this year and want high speed 3" 6 size shot...anyone know a good cheap(relative) brand and supplier of non lead shot in that size 12 gauge

Upvote 0

Huntndogs

Hunt with an ugly dog!
Oct 9, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
16' Duck killing machine
Technically pigeons are not legal to shoot currently. I have heard some wardens are citing for this. When they are added back to the list of non-game birds, you can shoot them with steel.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Technically pigeons are not legal to shoot currently. I have heard some wardens are citing for this. When they are added back to the list of non-game birds, you can shoot them with steel.
I heard they were illegal then a warden in the field told me shoot as many as I want. Another season of uncertainty from warden to warden.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler

speaking of which...i wanna do some chukar hunting this year and want high speed 3" 6 size shot...anyone know a good cheap(relative) brand and supplier of non lead shot in that size 12 gauge
Has anyone tried the new CCI copper .22LR rounds? 1850 FPS muzzle velocity legal substitute for lead. One problem I see is they are hollow point only and I prefer solids for rabbit blasting to reduce tissue damage if it's a body shot.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler

Just read the regs and it looks like lead .22 ammo is ok until 2019 unless on CDFW land. But lead shotgun ammo is a no go on small game animals anywhere.

Upvote 0

Huntndogs

Hunt with an ugly dog!
Oct 9, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
16' Duck killing machine
I heard they were illegal then a warden in the field told me shoot as many as I want. Another season of uncertainty from warden to warden.

You never know which warden will show up....That's awesome. I would get that one jackass who can't wait to fill a cite book.

Upvote 0

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
Lead ban is a joke... I wonder if the state will do a 30 million dollar "study" to figure out how many animals are lost due to bullets not expanding?

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Lead 71/2s. Still ok to use lead on dove, right?
Western Outdoor News has stated in the last 2 editions lead is still ok except on State Wildlife Lands however the Fish and Game Website still says non lead on upland game anywhere except on Private Bird Clubs. Going to have to make a call to DFG unless someone clears it up here.

I just looked at the regs again and it says "except for doves, quail, and snipe" so I guess lead will be OK. Sorry for the confusion!

Upvote 0