7/27/2021 surf croaker

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Got skunked Sunday and Monday. Fished briefly in rain and onshore wind those days (stormy but tropical 82 degree water). Today was gorgeous. Fished 30 minutes in Costa Rica after the low tide flipped on the incoming. For 2 tropical surf croaker roncador (taste like white seabass in a blind taste test). To be eaten whole. There is a mega hole. Children and adults are almost drowning in it. Seriously

When fishing a carolina rig with 10lb spectra tied to the swivel then a leader. If the slider will be bouncing off beach stone and the hole could get pinched some. If there is some resistance with the slider sliding up and down. The 10lb spectra can get tiny frays near the knot after repeatedly casting. 10lb spectra is the diameter of 2lb mono so not much diameter there. Need all of it.

When gulping with 2 inch sand worm. I ration out some new baits from a pack into a gulp pack that has already been opened. Add some gulp recharge. I don't bring the entire pack with me. I wade up to my chest though (no sand crab beds and huge surf). Just surf trunks with the gulp pack in the side pocket. Every now and then saltwater will get through the double ziplock and into the pack, diluting the scent. Reason not to bring the entire pack if you wade and fish in just trunks. I do keep more gulp within a few minute walk though

If the fat end of the 2 inch sandworm is torn. Pin the tail section.

Fun on light tackle 🤙🏾🌴🦜

South end of mega hole
IMG_20210727_123846_edit_22119356404958.jpg

North end of mega hole
IMG_20210727_123824_edit_22186728289843.jpg

IMG_20210727_123804_edit_22243409242960.jpg

IMG_20210727_122939_edit_32627027282000.jpg

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Got skunked Sunday and Monday. Fished briefly in rain and onshore wind those days (stormy but tropical 82 degree water). Today was gorgeous. Fished 30 minutes in Costa Rica after the low tide flipped on the incoming. For 2 tropical surf croaker roncador (taste like white seabass in a blind taste test). To be eaten whole. There is a mega hole. Children and adults are almost drowning in it. Seriously

When fishing a carolina rig with 10lb spectra tied to the swivel then a leader. If the slider will be bouncing off beach stone and the hole could get pinched some. If there is some resistance with the slider sliding up and down. The 10lb spectra can get tiny frays near the knot after repeatedly casting. 10lb spectra is the diameter of 2lb mono so not much diameter there. Need all of it.

When gulping with 2 inch sand worm. I ration out some new baits from a pack into a gulp pack that has already been opened. Add some gulp recharge. I don't bring the entire pack with me. I wade up to my chest though (no sand crab beds and huge surf). Just surf trunks with the gulp pack in the side pocket. Every now and then saltwater will get through the double ziplock and into the pack, diluting the scent. Reason not to bring the entire pack if you wade and fish in just trunks. I do keep more gulp within a few minute walk though

If the fat end of the 2 inch sandworm is torn. Pin the tail section.

Fun on light tackle 🤙🏾🌴🦜

South end of mega hole
    View attachment 1303157

North end of mega hole
    View attachment 1303158

View attachment 1303159

View attachment 1303160
    Forget the Fish, Those pictures of the beach and skyline are paradise.

Upvote 0

Eye Problem

If 1st you dont succeed, failure may be your style
    Mar 26, 2003
    Lake Forest
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    AHOAGAIN
    Nice pics Brad, been forever since I have been down there.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Nice pics Brad, been forever since I have been down there.

Let me know if you have a trip planned 🤙🏾

Vince will be here in November. Were going fishing 🎣

Out of here. 45 minute drive from my pad. The run to the ocean is unreal

Terraba-Sierpe-National-Wetlands-Tour-by-Boat.jpg

D1267_10_026_1200.jpg

11204961_585354954956647_5520611157348150653_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Eye Problem

If 1st you dont succeed, failure may be your style
    Mar 26, 2003
    Lake Forest
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    AHOAGAIN
    Nice, Vince has too much playtime on his hands. Just did BOLA with him, were going again in Sept.
    I will be in Maui in Nov, but would like to hook up next year. Glad to see you are still living the life!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Nice, Vince has too much playtime on his hands. Just did BOLA with him, were going again in Sept.
    I will be in Maui in Nov, but would like to hook up next year. Glad to see you are still living the life!

Stoked you dudes are on it 💪🏾

Maui is good times. Have not been since mid 20s. Enjoy

Cruise down

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    You totally suck! In the best way. :-)

Well I do suck. Triple skunk today. One nibbler, one biter that I missed, one biter that I was not paying attention and got tight quick and swung and missed (didn't have time to set up so swung by tight reaction). I'm fishing so cal beach style for small game fish in the winter. To feel like, I'm back at hometown :D Will be using surf croaker as live bait in the summer on 50-60lb leader. From shore

This is what it looked like today

Beaching it
    IMG_20210731_120333_edit_139929962147398.jpg

Dude selling parrot bird kites
    IMG_20210731_123059.jpg

Cool mom bought and deployed kite for son
    IMG_20210731_120402_edit_139901358619277.jpg

Looking south
    IMG_20210731_120205_edit_140029045753633.jpg

Looking west
    IMG_20210731_120237_edit_140146519688511.jpg

Looking north west
    IMG_20210731_120149_edit_140217673184333.jpg

Looking north
    IMG_20210731_115905_edit_140778020698831.jpg

Later in the day
    IMG_20210731_162304_edit_143088527096916.jpg

IMG_20210731_162408_edit_142958607487561.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Caught and released a Moonfish today. Like a super super exotic perch :D the streamers are iridescent purple with a huge blunt head. The purple didn't show up in a pic some dude took and whatsapp to me. It's winter here

IMG_20210802_163452.jpg

Reactions: terryc. and Tom123
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    8/5/2021. Real time report yesterday for a fish read story. Copying pasting here and adding some, lazy. I'm retying a leader and going back now. Holy moly. Just hooked and lost a very large fish on the 2 inch gulp camo sandworm rig but with 12lb leader. In calm rain in the mega hole. Just on the brown side of the ambush current. Heavy fish (20lb++ no doubt maybe XL). Had the fish close to the shore edge ledge drop off of mega hole but the fish had not woken up yet, never saw the fish. I was babying the fish after I felt its weight, because I didn't want it to wake up and smoke me. The beach is very steep from mega hole. The outgoing surge is too strong to beach the big fish as the water drains back out from a white water. So I walked the fish down to where the beach is less steep and waded out to fight the fish from the side of mega hole. Fish lit up and took a blistering run. I could not stop this fish. I swam out to over my head and was treading water. Got spooled to the knot and pinched and grabbed the line and put a big bend in the rod. 12lb leader broke at the swivel knot. Maybe, I should had just kept swimming farther out. Ultra light gear but I fish 10lb spectra with a 12lb leader so spooling does not happen (250 yards). Couldn't stop the fish 🤷🏽‍♂️ 🐷 I fish 30-50lb leader when trying for big game. From shore

Caught a surf croaker a few casts before and a nibbler. Started 3.5 hours after high tide. Heading back now

Update.
    Frothing right now. Caught what looks like a cross between a sardine and mullet with long chin barbels, richter bait. Pinned it back on the tiny hook carolina gulp sandworm rig and lobbed it into mega hole. Bait swam off strong. Got bit and the fish was moving so fast that the spinner bail kept opening when I was trying to close it :D (love that) bail closed and got super tight and tripple swinged to get the puny hook out of the bait and into the fish. Another big fish. I had heavy drag this time for the trout reel. In order not to get spooled without increasing the drag and breaking the line. I swam out there. Treading water with just feet, fighting the fish, while taking white water and waves breaking on the head. I thought the fight before was all time. This is one of the top fish fights of my LIFE. I'm reefing on the fish so I don't get towed too far out to sea as the current is going out strong also (I'm in mega hole). Gaining line. I had to go under a white water, with arm above white water with rod bent. While under water, I got pushed back towards shore because my feet could not touch ground. The increased pressure pulled the hook and I think the white water putting another pressure angle popped the hook. Didn't break off but maxed the leader out with frayed line near hook, so retying. Had to swim back to shore with rod in teeth. Going back :). Probably roosterfish or pargo. The second fish that the hook pulled on. Had sand paper frayed line 1 inch above the hook, roosterfish. Jolting runs so probably rooster on the ultralight is difficult. Might be pargo though 🤙🏾 Snook or corvina would had shown themselves near the surface. Snook do aerials like Dorado

Today. Switching over. Bringing one ultra light rig and one live bait rig with 40lb leader. Going big game hunting today 🤙🏾

Using these surf croaker or other fish caught on the carolina gulp rig. For live bait. Juvenile bigeye jacks are like a cabalitto
    IMG_20210805_160139_edit_4805513371662.jpg

Motorcycle taxi is delivering some egg sinkers and 30lb spectra and I'm on my way if I don't get stormed out. Comes fast like out of nowhere

Anyone ever use this stuff?
    IMG-20210806-WA0012_edit_31030890563494.jpg

IMG_20210805_151911_edit_4163262297802.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tom123
    Upvote 0

tony270

Aug 12, 2011
    SoCal USA
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Hewhohasthegoldmakestherules
    Bhra, need to up your game with a surf fishing rig. Those big fish are most likely stingrays, need experance stop them with light gear, and even then a 20+ pound fish will burn up a freshwater reel, then no more fishing. Even hooking stingrays with a decataded surf rig will ruin the fishing line, stingrays pull really hard and stretch the line out. When that happens it's best to cut 20 yards of so off, then anchor that end, then walk the line off, then anchor that end, then go to the stretched end and rewind the line back onto the reel. If it happens again, fill spool with fresh line.

I fish with a 12 foot surf pole, and 20 pound line and leader, surf leader. You'll still catch crocker, surfperches, and have a better chance at landing the incidental striper, corvina, shark, ray, etc.

Also need a surf pole holder, it can add a foot + in length to the pole, a surf leader, 3+ ounce weight, less rolling with triangle shape weight than torpedo shape. But more casting distance using the torpedo shape. Added a picture of my DIY pole holder, (bed rail angle iron, cut to a point on one end, plastic cup for the pole holder, added padding to protect the rod). 👋🏽

I use 3/0 Eagleclaw Bait Holder hooks (striper hooks), step down to surfperch size hooks when targeting smaller fish,
    #6-#8 size hooks.

Everybody finds out what works for themselves, this could be your baseline...

7.jpg
    5.jpg
    20210809_075601.jpg

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I fish with a 12 foot surf pole, and 20 pound line and leader, surf leader. You'll still catch crocker, surfperches, and have a better chance at landing the incidental striper, corvina, shark, ray, etc.

Also need a surf pole holder, it can add a foot + in length to the pole, a surf leader, 3+ ounce weight, less rolling with triangle shape weight than torpedo shape. But more casting distance using the torpedo shape. Added a picture of my DIY pole holder, (bed rail angle iron, cut to a point on one end, plastic cup for the pole holder, added padding to protect the rod). 👋🏽

Brah. Thank you for the 1970s (big bush was in :rodent::boobies:) suggestions. Wow LOL 12 foot rod, dead sticked in a rod holder. Targeting corbina, perch, and croaker. Gotta be above SD to normally see that rig nowadays. Dead sticking in a rod holder with a pyramid weight or torpedo. Not my style at all buddy. More like lougio

Way too much current to dead stick here. Would last 10 seconds before the drift angle would be too much. I'm fishing next to a giant rivermouth

I grew up Southern California beach fishing, since a young child. Was raised ocean front. I recognize your style :D it's a classic. And easy fishing

I'm not in California (if you didn't notice :)). Fishing So Cal bean style for fun with light tackle but with 12lb here because there are big game fish to accidentally hook. In California, I fish 6lb leader... Unless I'm fishing leopard sharks.

Wrote this over a decade ago. It was a post, if I knew my buddy was going to use it as a article. I would had composed much better. I should had revised it

Now fishing for Roosterfish, Snook, Pargo, Corvina, and other exotics that reach over 50lbs and what you recommend is not the way to go. I live 300 meters from the local fish camp and they ask me questions. From time to time a very big fish will eat the gulp rig.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tony270

Aug 12, 2011
    SoCal USA
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Hewhohasthegoldmakestherules
    I knew one thing, we don't have rooster fish in California, that's way south of the border. Thanks

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Different fishery. I'm protective of but I will post the region. In the future 🤙🏾so people know what I'm talking about :D

Upvote 0