OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    The good: there is an amazing amount of bluefin out there. We stopped on at least a dozen foamers starting an hour before the morning tide change until an hour after the ride change. We got to chase them all by ourselves for the first hour until the armada showed up. There are at least 2 different grades of fish… saw lots of 20-30 lbers which were a lot more skiddish and would be up and down in about 20 seconds. The 60-80 lb grade wanted to play a little more and were not boat shy. One foamer ended up charging our boat and surrounded us.

The bad: They were very hard to hook. Not impossible, but 1 out of 20 casts into the middle of them would get a hookup.

The ugly: Proper combat fishing etiquette is to not cut between the foamer and the boat hooked up to a fish it is connected to on a 100g Katy Perry Coltsniper from said foamer. Otherwise that leads to sawed off fish and a couple of pissed off guys. Some people are so clueless, it’s mind boggling. And they owe me a 100g Katy Perry Coltsniper.

So the day ended with us going 0 for 1. But all in all a good day. Ocean was flat. Boat ran flawlessly. If I was going out this afternoon, I’d be near 33°22.7’N 117°54.7’W on the tide change.

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Bummer...seems like a lot folks out trying for that 1 Bluefin
    to make day worth the ride. All you needed was a saw off. LOL

Reactions: OnoEric
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Good try, and good on you for not calling out the boat by name. (I guess!) Finding them, hooking them is close..next time you will put them on the boat!

Oh I was tempted… A Newport Beach flybridge in the 30-some foot range, but they were just clueless. They heard it enough from us while it was happening and after it happened to know they messed up.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    One other thing. We got to the zone about 9:30 and were metering bait 15-30 feet deep. The anchovies were 4-5 inches and were feeding on clouds of some kind of krill or plankton up on the surface in some places. We made the decision to hang out in the zone, thinking it was a time of day thing. So we were boxing the area dragging cedar plugs. About 10:30 the foamers started and it became run and gun, so we gave up on trolling and essentially just waited and watched for the foamers to pop up. IBy 12:30 it was done. The bait had gone down deep 80-100 feet, so it was definitely related to the tide change in my opinion, which was at 11:30.

We talked to a guy at the wash rack that was down at the 312/209 area and had the same report as we did, except he went 1 for 2, landing a 58.7 lb bluefin weighed in at the fuel dock. So I think it’s a pretty big zone of fish.

Upvote 0