7-25 31/45 kidney

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by fleyeline, Jul 26, 2009.

1. fleyeline

fleyeline Petroleum Consumer

Name:
    Beau
    Boat:
    WD
    Left MB at 6 this morning and got a mixed half from EB. Bait was hurting. Headed towards the 182 on calm seas. When we got there I didn't like the look of things so started heading south.

Worked down the break until getting picked up on the b/p feather at 31/45 west of the kidney. Threw baits but no takers. Larry got this 20# albie. It looks small in the pic, but larry is a big guy.

[​IMG]

Put the trollers out and head a little north to try to get back on the school. Within ten minutes I have them on the meter then zzzzzzzzzzzz. The y/g feather goes off. This one comes unbuttoned after a few seconds. 10:30 a.m.

Put the trollers back in and find the shool again but no takers. I tried to do a wide circle and throw the dead frozen bait I have to get them to come up but still nothing.

We worked the area some more but could'nt get anything else to go. Down south a little bit there was an area full of boats so I worked that for zip.

We went west some and found the BFT but didn't get any to go. So went back east to the break and worked that some more for nothing.

I keep hearing about the b/p daisy chains and want to throw some together. Any suggestions. Hoochies with a feather or just all feathers with a large one at the end?

Started getting late so I decided to pick up the trollers and paddy hop my way in. Lots of dry paddys. Except for one that had dodos that would not bite. Looked at my chartplotter and noticed that it lined up with the drift marks from the paddy I fished on Wed, only 11 miles away.

My boat is not skunked, but I still have the white stripe on the offshore this season.:urno1:

2. dbar

dbar Mmmmmm Backstraps

Name:
    Jim Perkins
    Boat:
    Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"
    Sounds like your putting in the effort, its only a matter of time before you slaughter them!!!

3. cmlandscaping

cmlandscaping Captin

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    18' maxum
    Glad to here you caught them, sorry about the skunky.

4. gpomplin

gpomplin Newbie

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    A BIG RUBBER DUCK
    Mike do you drive down larkridge st

5. Can't Parker

Can't Parker Me

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    2530 Parker
    Bad bait? Did you launch out of Mission Bay?

6. Hard at Play

Hard at Play Member

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    "Bills & Rays"
    Thanks for ther report. I need to get out.

7. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    We got two scoops at SD Bay that were less than stellar Friday night.

8. Otto

Otto Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat:
    19 SeaPro
    How was the drag set when the fish came unbuttoned ? Need it strong enough to get a good hookup. Well, that's where I screwed up before.

9. fleyeline

fleyeline Petroleum Consumer

Name:
    Beau
    Boat:
    WD
    It was on my Dad's rod, so I'm not exactly sure, but the question did come up.

That's what I am hoping for. Some people get discouraged but I see it as part of the learning process and part of paying my dues. I learn more and more with each trip I put in. Getting skunked just gives me the motivation to get better. I still manage to put a little blood on the deck.

10. Got Wasabi

Got Wasabi Ichiban Captain

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    22' SeaPro WA - Wasabi, 16' LUND
    Thanks for the report... Paying dues...every fisherman knows the drill.

I set up three different hoochie strings per color combo. One heavy, one medium, and one light. I use 4 inline same color, same size. Light one is acrylic head with feathers and mylar skirts. Medium has ~3/8 oz head on all mylar skirt jigs, and the heavy has 3/4oz heads with double mylar skirts. All are spaced about a foot apart with a hook on the end. Which string to use depends on how fast I'm trolling and where in the spread I put it out. I used to use the large to small version, but didn't find it work any better.

11. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    We got bait Friday night from Mission Bay that was excellent. The warmer water is harder to keep them alive but ours lasted the whole time in great shape. Maybe you should up your flow or reduce the amount.

12. Otto

Otto Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat:
    19 SeaPro
    Do you give these sardines as much flow as your pump can do ?