barry skaggs

Apr 24, 2019
huntington beach
Name
Barry
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
Hey everybody. First post.

Just got a new boat,(mutual 40th wedding anniversary present), electronics are all in and working well, (now I just need to figure out how to use them!). I am definitely a neophyte to all of this, so fortunately my expectations are exceedingly low. Don’t laugh, but I entered a handful of waypoints on my fish finder last night, (that I got “From two to twenty fathoms“), and then this morning loaded up the wife and the dog, and pointed the boat in the direction of the first waypoint out at Izors.

it was nice this morning, minimal wind from the south, 62 degree water, and the air must have been about the same. along with us, there were 10-12 other private boaters, and 3 party boats all hop scotching around the area. There was a little current, but I really can’t tell you if it was enough., (but based on the fishing it must have been lacking?). What I do know, however, is that I did not see another person catch a fish. We were fishing in 85-100 feet of water with Kman specials, and in an 1 1/2 hours had one small calico and 1/2 dozen lost jigs for our effort. I heard the party boat skippers, on two of the three boats instruct their patrons to get out extra weight because they were moving out to deeper water.

i‘m no fishing savant, but it seemed like it was time to check out another waypoint. So we moved to an area just out from Bolsa Chica/Huntington cliffs area in about 45-50 feet of water. Although only a very short move, upon arrival we were greeted by a bit more breeze out of the south, making the drift go towards PV, (uphill?). I wasn’t sure if this was a good thing, but was hopeful as the drift seemed to be a little faster. We were using 1oz lead heads which was just right for the conditions at hand. I do not know how to interpret sonar blips yet, so in my naivete I was interpreting an irregular rise off of the bottom that showed up on my new Garmin screen as a generic small rock formation. Anyway, we set up our drift to come over this spot, and much to our surprise (read-absolute shock, excitement, delirium), we got bit! on our first pass, we got a chunky 14-15 inch sand bass. Not knowing if the whole area was productive, we drifted quite a distance before concluding that we needed to only concentrate around the rock pile area. Over the next hour or so we picked up about 10 bass (8/2-sandies/calico) We even did the unthinkable and had a, wait for it, wait for it, Double Hookup! (At this point, it was shear pandemonium for the three of us, yes even the dog joined in). the icing on the cake will be when the kids, and grandkids come over tomorrow night for fish tacos, and listen to fish stories.

6FF0F8B3-E943-49C3-BCA2-AC9CC1299676.jpeg

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Nice way to start! Sorry about losing the gear, but if you aren’t getting stuck here and there while fishing structure, you aren’t in the zone. It gets tedious, but before you start pulling really tight when stuck on structure, drive back over it and pull tight the other way. That saves about half the stuck rigs. True for most structure—less so for that nasty crap that makes up Izor’s.

There’s a sand bass spawn maybe about to happen. Cool thing about that is you don’t lose anything because you are fishing over sand. That and you can do no wrong once you find them. This is what suspended bass looks like. We call em worms.

877EC3CC-BDBE-4CB7-9171-2B7DC977F77F.jpeg

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Way to go! Welcome to the boating and fishing family! I am still learning after a few years of it, a great way to unwind, breath fresh air, beautiful scenery, and rely on muscle memory.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Nice work skipper welcome to the club👍

Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 12, 2010
    Lb inshore
    Name
    Simmo
    Boat
    19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
    Little tip for izors. If one “spot” isnt working just go find another rock or pile that is. Great job on plastics!!!

Upvote 0

Stakanak

Sep 25, 2013
    Long Beach, California, USA
    Name
    Mark Nakagawa
    Boat
    “Buzzcatcher”
    Fantastic! Way to work the rubber!
    I always try to have some frozen squid on the boat. Whether for chum or bait, it can make all the difference when it’s slow.
    The local scene is getting ready to go off. When the water jumps back above 66 degrees, look out man!
    Keep at it🤙🏽

Upvote 0

barry skaggs

Apr 24, 2019
    huntington beach
    Name
    Barry
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    Regarding using frozen squid,

do you chum when you are drifting?
    how do you fish it? Dropper loop, Carolina rig, small strips?
    do you add it to your plastics that you are fishing?

Upvote 0

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Congratulations! First trip, first report, first time new electronics and put fish on the boat! Everyday is different, enjoy each one! Congratulations on 40 years of marriage!! And, this boat was a "mutual 40th wedding anniversary gift"? Lucky man! Here's wishing you 40 more!
    :appl::loverz:

Upvote 0