7/21 coronado islands, boat first 'tail!

NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Rented a slip for a couple nights to have a weekend full of boating fun. Spent friday evening looking around la jolla. water was ugly, no signs of life except just outside the north mpa. Caught a couple barracuda on the purple/black rapala outside the kelp on the way to the south mpa. good way to end the week.

Saturday am, got up early, headed to dana landing deli, had to wait for the sandwhich makers to show. I hate to burn time but love their sandwiches, props to dana landing deli. Loaded the boat and waited in line for bait, 10+ boats. saw a couple rental skiffs cut everyone in line. what are you supposed to do? i love waiting.

Finally, cleared the jetty and pointed the boat for the coronado islands, cruised about 15 mph and the seas were confused. Took our time and finally arrived at pukey with 40+ of my closest friends (that i haven't met yet) within 300 yard square. Thought is was either the most epic bite ever or nobody knew what to do next. Turned out it was the latter. Decided to slow troll a sardine (beat up pretty good) from north island to the middle grounds. First fish was a 5lb bonito. Son (age 10) got worked but managed to make it happen. Stoked for him.

Slow troll again and we are bit within 10 minutes. Not sure if the fish was confused or spooked, but he surfaced about 35 yards next to the boat. Pretty sure i see its a yellowtail, but watching my son fight the fish didn't seem quite right. Then the fish remembered he was a yellowtail. I smiled. Then my son was staring at his reel, helpless... as it peeled line, thump after thump. It never gets old. 10 more minutes, he landed the boat's first yellowtail. 8lbs on the spring scale, released for another day. High fives all around. Clean water, good color blue, 69-71 degrees.

Not much action the rest of the day. cruised down south island; tuna pens, boats, anchor lines, other stuff in the water pretty much made that completely worthless. Came in close to the island, checked out south kelp ridge for a few marks but nothing happened. Point the boat between north and south island and let the wind and waves beat us up. No bird activity, no boiling, just confused seas. Didn't see anyone else having fun.

Long run back to san diego bay. Fished the bay for basically nothing. water was milky green. Lots of boats (heard one hit a jet ski). Cruised back in 100' of water from whistler buoy back to mission bay trolling a halco and a purple/black zucker for zero. no birds, no life.

Next day stayed in mission bay with the rest of the family for some fun on the anchor.

We have a great city and no better hobby to enjoy it with!

Last edited:

NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
You left late to wait for a sandwich?!?
easy decision. Not many options at 6am. no way i leave the dock without a plan to feed my son. he's constantly hungry and probably consumes as many (if not more) calories than i do.

was surprised the market wasn't opened and staffed right at 6 on a saturday...but it is what it is.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Love seeing the smile on your boy's face holding that YT. Good on you for letting it live. There will be many more hitting the deck in the years to come.

Thanks for the report.

Reactions: [email protected]