7/21/19 Ocean Therapy

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by patfishhi, Jul 22, 2019.

1. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Been sick for a couple weeks (yes whimp) went to my Doc on Wednesday... "I'm just gonna treat you as if you have pneumonia" she says, actually good with that it, sounded like I was dying when I'd hack up half a lung.

More to the story, I tried to go last week Saturday, 7/13 and blew a coolant hose, came back in; pulled the hose on Sunday. Replaced it this past Saturday, filled the coolant and tested, uh-oh??? Just keep getting bubbles into the expansion tank, the coolant system never builds pressure. Top it off again, run it up to temp and pull back in. Decide to take a run yesterday with primary focus stbd engine trouble shooting. Get down to the boat, top it off again (yes the oil is fine), since I'm going, Mike and his friend Pat jump on board to help out, the plan run out some, monitor temps, check coolant system and crankcase every hour or so. First hour, system has built pressure crank case is fine, next hour same thing, maybe she is OK, must have taken awhile to fill all the nooks and crannies in the system. What a huge relief.

Now lets get down to the real stuff. Maybe around 7:30 somewhat straight out, the port rigger goes, it acts like the right stuff, and the line breaks; Mike and I cut every single effin' Spro 195# low profile swivels off and replace with the regular ones I've used for years. Another hour later the stbd corner goes, Pat (Mikes bud) has the "first up duties", at first thought marlin, then not, get her to leader, I leader, Mike gaffs, over the rail she comes. Chee! Clean up and set back up.

Maybe another hour or so later the stbd flat goes, dumps 100yds and comes off, leader is clean, probably the right stuff. Keep going, chasing some birds, see a couple boats stopped, we don't get bit. Since the purpose for the day was to test the stbd engine, feeling pretty good, engine seems happy and there is a nice ahi on ice.

It's early afternoon, still out 16 heading towards the pinnacle, see some whites so head it up north, look over my shoulder and see a splash straight out, turn the Kai'Nana back outside; Mike and Pat down below, I'm in the tower. 5 minutes later I hear that #64 rubber band part and the Tiagra, in close flat line go, then the port corner Makaira go as well. After dealing with a little bit of a tangle, Mike gets the first fish to leader, I leader Mike gaffs. We let Mike take the second fish also, get to leader, I leader Pat gaffs, Chee!!! What a great way to test an engine.
    IMG_0468.JPG
    So last week Mike went to Kona and went 3 of 4 on Blues, all with that lure he has in his hands (Crane cut face), the leader was still trashed, single stiff rig hanging out of the lure and it gets the biggest fish of the day, opportunistic feeders.
    IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    A couple chrome jets, Shiroma and the Crane 12" cut face.

Cheers
    Pat

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    kaze, changboy, Aukai03 and 4 others like this.
  2. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Engine running good and three ahi in the box, a great test run day.

3. shbite

shbite kailua lures

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    19 glass pro
    Good job pat !! I crewed a charter yesterday out of haleiwa got to the 500 inside of ii ppl got sick turned down sea rigger pops get one about 120. Home by 11.

4. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Pat and crew, one hell of a shakedown run. Glad you and the boat are running as should, seems like reverting back to the old swivels put Kai Nana back to her normal catching #s??

5. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Member

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    Way to catchem up, Pat! Awesome how you can consistently find the right stuff. Motivates us to keep trying.

ACran1 likes this.
  6. Adamlynam23

Adamlynam23 Newbie

Name:
    adam lynam
    Boat:
    Reel tackle
    We were right next to you yesterday and saw the boys standing up on the back fighting fish. Knew it had to be you. Good going. We had a two day skunk this weekend. Guess they didn't like what we had. Glad the kai nana is ok and you are feeling better. See u out there !

7. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Thanks Steven, right place right time was the call of the day.
    Thanks Steve, good goin' on the fish; hopefully you still got a decent tip.
    Thanks Darren, I think I'm running on 7 cylinders, Kai'Nana I think is running on all cylinders, I need some more therapy.
    Thanks Courtland, it really was just one of those days, right place right time and damn lucky.
    Thanks Adam, was pretty sure that was you guys. Sorry about the boat rides; you'll get 'em next time.

Cheers
    Pat

Puravida16 likes this.
  8. shbite

shbite kailua lures

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    19 glass pro
    Pat yup 20 percent and a good review can't really complain

9. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Congrats on another great day on the water! I hope the fish will be around when I get back...1st week in August!

10. Hana Bata Days

Hana Bata Days Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    Hana Bata Days-26 Yellow Fin
    Another awesome day. I need to get out on the water, been landlocked.

shbite likes this.
  11. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Nice.
    Thanks Russ, hurry up.
    Thanks Don, "get wet".

Cheers
    Pat