Offshore 7/2 Quick Trip

T-Bass

Jul 26, 2015
Socal
Name
Trevor
Boat
225 Aquasport Explorer
My girlfriend wanted to go out yesterday and I had some things to do in the morning so we got a late start out of DP around 12:30, made a few macks at the barber poles and off to the 43 area by 1:00 pm.

Stopped and looked around the 312 for nada, then again at the 181 where I spotted a massive paddy with birds on it. Tossed out a mack on 30 lb and size 2 hook, and threw a mint green surface iron. There were dozens of quality 20-30lb yellows on this paddy and aside from 1 hit on the iron that didn’t get hooked, I came up empty.

I kept making my way to the 43 and about 8 miles short there were some birds working. I had my girlfriend point me into them while I was on the bow ready with a popper. It was a small school of 100-150 lb bluefin that my girlfriend accidentally drove over because she thought the boat was in neutral but it was really in gear and we ran right over them (she slept on the couch last night). We didn’t see any other signs of fish so we kept going.

Made it to the 43 by 4:30pm and there were plenty of birds and bait in the area but I did not see nor mark any fish. I slow trolled a mack for an hour and after nothing, we made our way back. I saw a foamer of small yellowfins or bonito 6 miles short of the 181 that wouldn’t let me get anywhere close. Didn’t see anything else on the way back.

There’s a hard color break near the 181 with good paddy’s on the clean side (East). The tuna we found were in the dirty water.

Good luck if you make it out this weekend.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Too bad it was a swing and a miss.

my girlfriend accidentally drove over because she thought the boat was in neutral but it was really in gear and we ran right over them (she slept on the couch last night)

Get her up to speed handling the boat. I'd hate to see something bad happen with you on the bow.

Upvote 0