Offshore 7/18- No Fish Caught- offshore report

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
Launched slip around 630am. 1/2 scoop and on the way from Nachos by 730/8ish?
SE inside the 14 and down. Swung out tot he 209. Found our first spot of breaking fish on the western edge of the 209. Set out flyline, sinker rig, floating “backpack” rigged flyer. Fished this area for a few hours for no takers. many schools breezed through on the fish finder. Sometimes 3 big fosh? Mostly most small packs.
Saw one MASSIVE breezer in the distance while we had all our rigs in the water. Watched 3 boats drive into it. They moved on, never saw another.
Started making our way north around 2 or 3pm. Pretty shitty conditions so steered toward the 14. Once I hit the shipping lanes W of the 14, my Son abs couple buddies talked me into fishing Catalina. So, we fished frog to Long Point for some barracuda and bass.
ended up losing my anchor as it got stuck.
then Ran out of gas inside the harbor. Luckily my slip neighbor was right behind me and towed me in. Deal with gas tomorrow!
140 miles round trip, 68 gallons of gas.
lots of beer and a sun burn. I hope the fish continue to build in so that when I return from vacation in a couple weeks, I can get my first tuna on the deck.
wster was 69-70.5 all day. Crystal blue.
Have a great weekend.
Glen

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
I feel bad that I was too lazy to post a gas saving report. Friday I boxed the 14, 277, 152, slide, A bank and shipping lanes for no signs other than bait, a short bite on a paddy and small sea bass (when we tucked into the island real quick) that unbuttoned at the boat.

Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
I’ve been guilty with a few less reports lately myself. We are spoiled with our local waters year round. Catching is not always part of the game. As long as the spirit for adventure is alive, we are to keep trucking, or boating in this case. Headed to Homer, AK tomorrow. I’m not worried about the rain for the first week but rather the cost to process and bring all the fish home 2 weeks from now :)
I look forward to fishing locally starting August 1st. Have a nice couple weeks everyone

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    How did you loose you anchor? Was it stuck and you couldn’t pull it out? Did you anchor at izors reef?

just bought a new anchor and chain myself - over conscious about loosing my anchor - want no part of it.

Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    How did you loose you anchor? Was it stuck and you couldn’t pull it out? Did you anchor at izors reef?

just bought a new anchor and chain myself - over conscious about loosing my anchor - want no part of it.
    Anchored in a more or less normal/usual spot.I know there is some structure down there but I think it just hooked really hard and it it what it is. We pulled from every direction, with lots of scope. It wasn’t coming up. It’s in 55’ of water which sucks. A diver could get it and I would pay to get it back. I just don’t think I can freedive 55’ without a couple months of practice.
    800 motor hours in 18 months. 2nd anchor loss. 1st one was just my error on the connection to the chain. I consider it part of the business every year or 2.

Upvote 0

Wolfman4

Wolfman
    Feb 20, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Quidort
    Boat
    C-Dory
    You guys might try attaching the chain to the hook end or the anchor then running the chain to the end of the shaft with a breakaway fastener.
    Then if the anchor is jammed you can break the faster and pull from the hook end

Upvote 0