naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
Made another trip to Izor's reef on 7/18.
Reading from the forecast, I was contemplating to go to Catalina on Friday, but boy was I glad that I didn't. Bigger boats with cuddy or cabin would've been ok, but not on 17 feet CC.
Started at 4:30 from Davie's Launch Ramp, as other report reported already, it was busy morning even at 4:30, and when coming back(around noon), you have to wait in line to be docked. It's been one of the busiest year that I've seen so far.

Back to report, got half scoop of Sardines at Nacho, bait was good, and new bait pump worked wonderfully. Headed to Izor's reef and there was only one boat fishing already. So we set up and didn't move all day until we came in, it was wide open Calico bite from the start. Fish were suspended from anywhere from 30 feet all the way to the bottom. Mackerels were thick on top, anything in water was attacked by it.

Water temp was 68 at izor's and seas were rough all day. Windy reported 1 or 2 feet every 12 sec. They got 1 or 2 feet right, but it felt more like 3 sec. It felt like big boats passing by you full throttle all day creating huge wakes. They were dead on with wind blowing up to 20 mph by 11. We came in at 10:30, but it was white caps all over the ocean by then. We came in to inside the break wall to do some underwater exploring for lobster season. We didn't find any good spots, but we ran into group of Sargos.

How do you fish for sargo? what bait? if anybody knows, please let me know. I've ran into group of Sargo past couple outings, but haven't caught a single one.

Total fish caught.
3 Sheephead (1 kept)
1 Sculpin (kept)
1 Sandbass (kept)
1000 Calico bass (1 kept)

It was another fun day out, and always feels great to be out.

Island Chaffee Underwater footage starts at 12:37

Last edited:
Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
Are Sargo line shy? I was using cut squid with size 2 hook but 20lb fluorocarbon leader on dropper loop but was not getting a nibble, only sandbass were biting at Chaffee. May be smaller size hook?

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I sometimes get sargo as ninja bycatch. A thin strip of squid on 8 lb, #4 mosquito hook, an egg sinker. You could c-rig with the egg if you wanna be stealthy. I think they like mussels and snails even better than squid.

Reactions: naldodook
    Upvote 0

SemperFi75

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2017
    San Pedro
    Name
    SemperFi75
    Boat
    Semper Fidos
    haha, it did, but then I got used to all this clutter in this small boat. Now it feels something is missing having one of those rod holders being not having a rod. LOL
    Me too. I remember when I thought my 18' was good enough and now 20' is not enough. Don't even wanna talk about a 17' CC like yours on a windy day like Saturday turned into.

Props to you. Like I told my wife, it may be small, but I know how to sail it, it works great and I try to take it out at least once a week.

My boat!!! Get your minds out of the gutter. 8-)

That's the price of fly lining or casting a lure and trying to hit the different depths in the column with various weights. That warmer water is sure showing signs of life off the bottom.

ps I lose one rod holder for the cutting board anyway and I have a rail mount forward just for my grill by the cooler. And I wonder why no room. :cheers:

• Haha
    Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
    Jan 30, 2006
    Buena Park, california
    Name
    daniel
    Boat
    Sailfish 176CC
    Me too. I remember when I thought my 18' was good enough and now 20' is not enough. Don't even wanna talk about a 17' CC like yours on a windy day like Saturday turned into.

Props to you. Like I told my wife, it may be small, but I know how to sail it, it works great and I try to take it out at least once a week.

My boat!!! Get your minds out of the gutter. 8-)

That's the price of fly lining or casting a lure and trying to hit the different depths in the column with various weights. That warmer water is sure showing signs of life off the bottom.

ps I lose one rod holder for the cutting board anyway and I have a rail mount forward just for my grill by the cooler. And I wonder why no room. :cheers:
    Exactly, I have one for the coltsniper, one for swimbait, one for flyline, one for dropper loop.. one for...I need bigger boat. Yet, I need a bigger house first, before my wife approves of any bigger boat.

Reactions: SemperFi75
    Upvote 0

SemperFi75

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2017
    San Pedro
    Name
    SemperFi75
    Boat
    Semper Fidos
    Exactly, I have one for the coltsniper, one for swimbait, one for flyline, one for dropper loop.. one for...I need bigger boat. Yet, I need a bigger house first, before my wife approves of any bigger boat.
    Happy wife, happy life.
    or
    If the wife ain’t happy, no ones happy.😆

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat