PENN

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Whelp. This weekend was not the best weekend. Did the usual when I take people that aren’t great at fishing out which has been literally every weekend. Hit the kelp and limited out on rockfish. Not one cuda, no signs of yellows, and the bass weren’t as active as last week. Moved to the jetty for halibut. Caught a gazillion guitar fish, spotties, and four halibut with only one keeper. The rest were literally 21.5”.

Sunday just hit the jetty trying to catch a keeper butt. Drifted for three hours with sardines. Caught a couple spotties, guitarfish and 3 small halibut. 21.25”, 20” and 19”. The halibut came in a flurry of about five minutes. After
    That I couldn’t buy a bite so I left.

Here’s one of these ugly things. I might keep one some day for a taste. I’ve heard it’s not bad.

F22B2D16-39A8-4080-B46C-3E171D73543A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    Use to call those things Shovel Nose Sharks. Never seen one that big.

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2310WA
    We used to catch them off the pier all the time. A big one is 4-5ft. They pull okay on 20lb...the tail is all white meat and they actually taste pretty good. The only meat is in the tail, and it’s white and firm..closest thing I would say would be halibut...give it a try with an open mind and I think you’d be surprised.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    We used to catch them off the pier all the time. A big one is 4-5ft. They pull okay on 20lb...the tail is all white meat and they actually taste pretty good. The only meat is in the tail, and it’s white and firm..closest thing I would say would be halibut...give it a try with an open mind and I think you’d be surprised.
    Just in the tail? I thought there might be meat throughout the whole blackstrap. Good to know someone else says it’s not bad.

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2310WA
    Yep. Cut the tail off and there is a piece of cartilage that runs lengthwise down the center. You can fillet the meat right off that and you get two nice long strips of meat.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Good on you for dragging other friends along on the trip--break 'em in right haha. Even though glamour species were a no-show (and bass were tough too), you put them over some cool stuff to pull on. That shovelnose is a monstrosity.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Latest posts