7/17 Nados Report and Non-fish Catch of a Lifetime!

PENN

ryanhead

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Conditions changed significantly from the previous day. The wide open bite from 7/16 turned into a slow pick and the water was really sloppy. Barracuda and giant bonito were everywhere and it made it hard to keep a bait out for very long. We started north of the tuna pens with 30 other boats. The wind was blowing hard from the south so everyone would setup south of the fleet, drift north, and then start over at the top of the drift. Guys flylining baits did ok, but it looked like the guys yoyoing did the best. For some reason we just couldn't get bit. Eventually we realized that the best bite was at the top of the drift near the tuna pens so we dropped the anchor and proceeded to catch a ton of barracuda and a single yellowtail on a 90 cent freshwater hardbait. Headed south of the pens in the late afternoon and found 8 cattle boats on the ridge. Marked fish everywhere but couldn't get anything to go. Someone on the radio said weighted slow trolling was the key, so we started slow trolling and picked up one more yellow. We headed back up to the north side of the tuna pens for the early evening and got a few more giant bonito. If I were going out tomorrow, I would go to the north side of the tuna pens, get as close as possible, drop anchor, and sit there all day. Otherwise, setup a weighted slow troll and wander around the ridge south of the southern end of south island.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP!!! In the early evening, we were sitting on the anchor and I noticed that there was some white spectra wrapped completely around the boat. We couldn't figure out where it came from so I started pulling on one end and it started pulling back. I ended up handlining around 300 yards of spectra with a 10 pound yellowtail attached to the end, but the line broke when I got the fish to color. I then started pulling up the other end and brought up a brand-new-looking Talica 12 on a Super Seeker! It felt like I won the lottery, but we managed to find the rod's proper owner on the radio and gave it back to him. Oh well, it was still quite exciting and it was great to get such a nice setup back to its rightful owner.

Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Wow. How did you know “he” was the owner? Good on you for returning it! That happen to s friend of mine at Guadalupe Pulled up a truline bd7 and a saltiga 30 ld2

Reactions: Hungone
    Upvote 0

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    My Medication
    Good on you for getting the rod back to the owner.

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
    May 16, 2008
    murrieta/ca/usa
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    That's awesome on the rod return! I was there yesterday too, caught some nice ones on bait, but not limits. Saw some boats right next to the pens... You are supposed to stay at least 250 meters away from the pens and tenders. Anchor right next to them and you might get a free stay in Ensenada, and your boat will have a new owner.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Devo
    Boat
    Trophy
    Conditions changed significantly from the previous day. The wide open bite from 7/16 turned into a slow pick and the water was really sloppy. Barracuda and giant bonito were everywhere and it made it hard to keep a bait out for very long. We started north of the tuna pens with 30 other boats. The wind was blowing hard from the south so everyone would setup south of the fleet, drift north, and then start over at the top of the drift. Guys flylining baits did ok, but it looked like the guys yoyoing did the best. For some reason we just couldn't get bit. Eventually we realized that the best bite was at the top of the drift near the tuna pens so we dropped the anchor and proceeded to catch a ton of barracuda and a single yellowtail on a 90 cent freshwater hardbait. Headed south of the pens in the late afternoon and found 8 cattle boats on the ridge. Marked fish everywhere but couldn't get anything to go. Someone on the radio said weighted slow trolling was the key, so we started slow trolling and picked up one more yellow. We headed back up to the north side of the tuna pens for the early evening and got a few more giant bonito. If I were going out tomorrow, I would go to the north side of the tuna pens, get as close as possible, drop anchor, and sit there all day. Otherwise, setup a weighted slow troll and wander around the ridge south of the southern end of south island.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP!!! In the early evening, we were sitting on the anchor and I noticed that there was some white spectra wrapped completely around the boat. We couldn't figure out where it came from so I started pulling on one end and it started pulling back. I ended up handlining around 300 yards of spectra with a 10 pound yellowtail attached to the end, but the line broke when I got the fish to color. I then started pulling up the other end and brought up a brand-new-looking Talica 12 on a Super Seeker! It felt like I won the lottery, but we managed to find the rod's proper owner on the radio and gave it back to him. Oh well, it was still quite exciting and it was great to get such a nice setup back to its rightful owner.

How do you know it was really some random guys on the radio?

Upvote 0

Val1717

Wasting away at work
    Sep 26, 2017
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Val
    Boat
    Hatteras 38 Convertible
    That's an excellent "fish story"! And to find the owner is even more amazing. Good Karma for sure

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    I hope that talica owner at least paid your galley tab! You just saved him about $700

Upvote 0

Twinscrews

Dec 9, 2005
    Ventura
    Name
    Tod
    Boat
    Yamaha ar 195
    Great read and ditto about the karma returning the rod to the owner! The comment about staying away from the tuna pens got me wondering if you saw anyone being boarded and asked for papers? Not just around the tuna pens, but in general around the huge Fleet that's been there this past week, has anyone witnessed our friends from Mexico boarding boats and ensuring that our paperwork is correct?

Upvote 0

ryanhead

Almost A Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    24' Skipjack Flybridge
    That's awesome on the rod return! I was there yesterday too, caught some nice ones on bait, but not limits. Saw some boats right next to the pens... You are supposed to stay at least 250 meters away from the pens and tenders. Anchor right next to them and you might get a free stay in Ensenada, and your boat will have a new owner.

Sorry, my post wasn't clear, we were still about 400 yards off the pens when we anchored. Most people played by the rules and people worked together well considering how tightly the boats were packed.

Reactions: fishsmith
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    It was mine. Talica and super seeker rod, lost near the tuna pens. Can't remember the spectra color. Wait... I've never owned that set up. Oh shit, the alarm clock is going off! :D

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar, as well as a model American. I tip my cap to you. Congrats on the fish as well!
    :lux:

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat
    Kathleen

Your a good man. Dios te lo pago.

Upvote 0

Latest posts