Offshore 7-17 i almost didnt suck

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
yorba linda
Name
nick
Boat
which one
Left SI ramp at about 4:45 and grabbed a scoop and a half of ok bait. The plan was to start south and work our way north we headed straight out of the harbor past the 9 and made a right. not much going on on the south end so we worked our way to the cluster fuck. the weather was great no wind small swell just didn't see any fish. we get close to the fleet and start seeing birds and fish we set one drift for nothing then move to the west side of the fleet west of the 178 water was warm 72 and plenty of signs of life. we see some birds crashing in-between us and another CC we start to creep that nice and slow as did the other boat when the mustang decides to drive right through the middle of us and right over the top of the fish. i said a few choice words and cracked another beer. we set a long drift with two fly lined baits and a sinker rig one 25lb and one 30. i set my 30 lb rig in the rod holder to go grab another beer when ZZZZZZZ we are on! hoping this was gonna be a 40-50lb fish well i was was wrong this dickhead fish just wouldn't give up i put the screws to him for 45 mins until he chewed me off. oh well the weather was great and the beer was cold all in all it was a great day on the water we will get em next time

06484A18-EB56-455F-AD97-31FEF34E4E10.jpeg

4E76B39B-B120-4BF1-B408-238E77216FD6.jpeg

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    Almost man! Keep at it. It’ll be worth it. We didn’t get our killer day until a multi day bad streak...

Reactions: zing1402
    Upvote 0

Yuri_SD

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Yuri
    Boat
    none
    I have one experience with the mustang a year ago - I was on my friend's 50ft sailboat when captain of the Mustang decided he had an issue with the sailboat holding course under sail while he was moving pretty fast. Came behind us at about 45* angle and started honking while passing. He was going at at least twice of our speed. It was about 20 miles offshore with not a single other boat around and plenty of space for everyone.

For those who want to invoke right of way rules - we were the less maneuverable vessel, he was under power, overtaking us from astern, not actively engaged in fishing from what we could see when he passed (either repositioning or heading back to port).

Reactions: zing1402
    Upvote 0

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    I have one experience with the mustang a year ago - I was on my friend's 50ft sailboat when captain of the Mustang decided he had an issue with the sailboat holding course under sail while he was moving pretty fast. Came behind us at about 45* angle and started honking while passing. He was going at at least twice of our speed. It was about 20 miles offshore with not a single other boat around and plenty of space for everyone.

For those who want to invoke right of way rules - we were the less maneuverable vessel, he was under power, overtaking us from astern, not actively engaged in fishing from what we could see when he passed (either repositioning or heading back to port).
    Yeah it was a Dick move for sure me and that leopard print cc you see in the pictures were about 200 feet apart and he just drove right between us with probably 15 birds crashing in the middle of us

Upvote 0