7/16 - BFT Foamers All Alone

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by SouthBayKiller, Jul 18, 2016.

1. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the later report, still recovering from this mission.

My buddy has been working on his new Parker 2530 for months. After installing a new tower with controls, all new Garmin electronics, new fuel tank, troubleshooting all sorts of gremlins and many other small things that the non-boat owner wouldn't see or know about, this boat was finally ready for its trip to San Diego.

With all the Bluefin fishing and budding kelp action, myself and 3 others gladly "helped" guide the boat down to San Diego with the anticipation of fishing our way down the coast and seeing what we could find. The original plan was to fish hard all day on Saturday, overnight offshore and fish the gray-light on Sunday morning before bringing the Dana D into its new home at Marina Cortez, as his new rig for his 4-pack operating Exotics Fishing.

We rounded Palos Verdes in calm conditons and headed into San Pedro bait, picked up two healthy scoops of perfect 6-7" dines.

We plugged in some info from FishDope and other info from other sources we have and pointed SE just offshore of San Mateo point area. We were cruising 25 knots and the conditions were very nice, cloudy with only a very small residual texture. The Parker ate it up and we were down to the area we wanted by 0800.

We arrived near the numbers, clean, blue, 70.1 degrees and started metering tons of bait, but no fish. There was also significant boat traffic we we decided to push work out west. Not having to worry about working our way to back up swell to Redondo really helped free our decisions. We continued out to the 209-312 area and found more bait and dipping terns but not any real sign of fish we turned back south towards the 181 zone.

As we neared the 181 we found the armada of private boats and also ran across our first spot of fish foaming on a chovy ball. This spot was quickly run down by a boat that slow-trolled right through the spot of fish and put them down immediately. That would repeat itself a couple times as the fish would quickly pop back up a few hundred yards away and the boats would drive right into them. The radio was littered with cussing, tomfoolery and an occasional "blue lives matter" shout out. While the sign was promising the crowd of weekend warriors was not and we begrudgingly turned the bow south west and kept moving.

As we progressed the water cooled and dirtied and the crowds thinned until there were non-existent. A decision had to be made, do we continue to push past the cold dirty water and see what is on the other side or do we turn back and find the color/temp break and see what is on it? We decided to compromise and continue pushing through the cold water, putting a large gap between us and the fleet. We pushed a good 20 miles through the cold green water. With no signs of life, no kelps, not a single bird...it was barren. We turned SE hunting for sign. The crew is getting tired and disjointed, there are questions about if we made the right move?

As we are working east i spot two terns dipping 50 yards out on out port side. The windshield has some spray and its a little difficult to tell if this was legit or not. We stare anxiously at the terns, and then out of the 64 degree water, the largest boil I have ever seen erupts. We turn hard to port and are almost instantly surrounded on all sides of the boat in 60-200+lb BFT and a whale gorging themselves on a 30x30 ball of chovie. Anchovy are catapulted out of the water, cow tuna are jumping, scales are littering the water. It was pure insanity. I had read and seen the videos posted here, but seeing and experiencing it first hand was amazing.

My friend, and BD member, Shon quickly jump to the bow. We are casting straight into the whitewash and my popper sinks and disappears, not even able to float on the foam. I cast again and am almost instantly hooked up on a Williamson jet pop. The 50lb mono flies off my FTM25LD2 and I'm quickly into my backing. The 10' F100 is doubled over and I'm wondering if using a 10' rod was a good idea? We drift out of the foamer, watching the action as I'm reeling. The others on the boat are anxious as well. The tuna settles in but doesn't circle. I drop to low gear and am quickly gaining on it. Within 20 minutes we sink the gaffs into a 75lb fish. We spike and bleed the fish, throw it in the kill bag and start to re-set on the foamer. At that point, each crew person is pointing in all directions to the "the foamer" and we quickly realize there 3-5 of them all happening all around the boat. Which one do we go to?!

We push up to the larger one, and in the meantime Shon cuts off his popper and switches to a mint JRI-7. We both cast and its Shon on this time. I didn't see the hookup as i had my back turned and was watching my popper. Over the sound of the tuna splashing and deafening terns i heard Shon and the crew erupt with a scream. A large fish blew up on the jig right near the boat and everyone but me saw it. Shon's Tranx is screaming and the fish easily pulls 250 yards of 65lb braid like nothing. The spool is getting low and we start chase. For the next 3 hours we on this fish and have it to color 5 times. Each time it gets near the boat it sounds and nearly spools the reel. This fish is mean and heavy. As the clock ticks we worry about the 60lb leader. After 2.5 hours we have the fish 50' straight up and down on the starboard side and it makes one last burst under the boat and we quickly try and get the rod over the motors and clear. The spectra catches the starboard motor and Sonny race's to raise the motors. The line goes slack and we are heart broken. I grab and get on the swim-step and plunge the rod deep around the motor and crank like hell. The line come tight and we still have the fish!!!! The fish comes around one more time and we get our first good look at it. Its huge and she is barely barely foul hooked right in the side just behind the tip of the pectoral fin. our stress level goes from an 11/10 to somehow even higher.

We have gaffs at the ready and Shon gives it one last lean the Mike lays a gaff right into the tail and other gaffs get head shots. She is ours!

High fives, fish pumps, rocky mountain koolaides. It was epic. We realized she would not even come close to fitting into the kill bag and elected to cut our trip short and head in, hopefully able to unload her at the Fisherman's processing dock. She went 132lb at the fisherman's processing scale, after being bled.

Lessons learned: Find your own fish if you want to find the less spooked out BFT. We were able to get right up on and into these fish. Colder water doesn't mean no fish, it was 64.6 and slightly green where these fish were, and there was tonnage of them. Make sure your connections are rock solid, everything was pulled max hard and we were lucky to be 2/2, these fish were tough as nails. Have a plan for dealing with a massively large fish after its on the boat, we ended up converting the 80 gallon bait tank into a RSW for a night, and took her to the processor in the morning. Not ideal, but it worked.

IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1221.JPG

2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    What a story! Thanks for the report!

Nice fish, congrats to you and your crew!

BarryFree and Shon like this.
  3. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    Holy shit! I saw his pics, thats badass, and great story.

You guys killed it.

Shon likes this.
  4. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
    Awesome trip guys. Being a little lucky that you found the fish shortly after you had mentioned "when the crew is getting tired and disjointed" saved your day. Good for you guys. :cheers:

Shon likes this.
  5. Shon

Shon Fish til I can't fish no more

Name:
    Shon
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    One day I'll never forget. I felt like I was doing it all over again. Great write up Robert! Big thanks to Sonny from Exotics fishing charters! Wouldn't of got it done without his expertise!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Trayscool likes this.
  6. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Holy Cow! Very exciting... congrats

Shon likes this.
  7. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    nice work gents.. thanks for the report

Shon likes this.
  8. Phat Matt

Phat Matt Matt

Name:
    PhAT Matt
    Boat:
    2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
    Very well written... Congrats!!

Shon likes this.
  9. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    Great write up! These fish will get your blood pumping.

Shon likes this.
  10. jughead

jughead Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    24 Seaswirl striper
    Holy cow.....what a fat cow...written like a seasoned author! Congrats to you guys... Cool boat!!!!

Shon likes this.
  11. sulla

sulla Torrance Ca

Name:
    Sulla
    Boat:
    Party Boat Near You
    Great report! Thanks for taking the time!

Shon likes this.
  12. sean805

sean805 luck of the draw

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    1 or 2
    Nice FISH guys glad you got them. epic read

Shon likes this.
  13. momaguro

momaguro Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Pequod
    That's the best late report I've ever read! Thanks for the helpful info and advice. Your dedicated effort to take the hunt serious was righteously rewarded. Congratulations on the double.

reelbigbro and Shon like this.
  14. Chronarchfishin

Chronarchfishin Newbie

Name:
    Tony Gonzalez
    Boat:
    na
    awesome write up...got me all pumped up!!! congrats!

Shon likes this.
  15. C.H.U.D.

C.H.U.D. Smells like fish

Name:
    c.d chudomelka
    Boat:
    Bluewater 23T CC Twin suzukis 175
    Great job on the parker!!!
    She's beautiful
    and also a great read
    THANKS

Shon likes this.
  16. Fish Exotics

Fish Exotics Member

Name:
    Sonny
    Boat:
    Henriques 28
    Nice write up Robert ... good times out there with you guys on Saturday. What a day ... for sure one for the books!!

Shon likes this.
  17. jacksrbetter

jacksrbetter Lobster Diver

Name:
    jack
    Boat:
    25" seaswirl 250 cudy
  18. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks guys, hopefully will have many reports to come. Sonny's rig is bad ass and loaded with good karma, I can't wait to do this over again!

19. Can't Parker

Can't Parker Me

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    2530 Parker
    Way to go! and nice boat too! :worship:

20. muledeer07

muledeer07 Member

Name:
    Wade
    Boat:
    None
    Very well written, felt like I was there the entire time. Congrats and awesome looking boat.