PENN

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
we took off this morning on the new seaforth with nice weather and fishing up north for the bottom fish
Hopefully some time soon the surface fishing will pick up locally
EB34340E-305D-4829-914E-EBF09DE049AD.jpeg

4D2A16F7-8117-4A17-9A98-9230BC80D8FC.jpeg

1822FC3F-5611-4661-BD1D-FCB73F3A7225.jpeg

5FCB8E42-1019-4382-81AF-EEC234387FBD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Cheeseburger Killer

Beloved Son
Mar 27, 2018
So Very Cal
Name
Kent
Boat
Selling It...
Nice Ling and Hali. Whats with raping the rocks of every living tiny thing? Those rockfish are smaller than the trout I throw back. Feel free to bash me, thats just not helping our future fishery one bit.
Unless you have a fish descending device (and most do not) you’re going to keep anything legal because they would just mort if you tossed them back in. I recently ordered a couple of Shelton Fish Descenders (about $6 each on Amazon) for this reason. They work a lot better if you rig them with the bungee as recommended, by the way. Just didn’t feel good about killing a bunch of sub 12” rockfish. Of course, the bigger problem is commercial overfishing, but it all matters IMO...

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Nice Ling and Hali. Whats with raping the rocks of every living tiny thing? Those rockfish are smaller than the trout I throw back. Feel free to bash me, thats just not helping our future fishery one bit.
I agree.That's a lot of tiny fish.

Unless you have a fish descending device (and most do not) you’re going to keep anything legal because they would just mort if you tossed them back in. I recently ordered a couple of Shelton Fish Descenders (about $6 each on Amazon) for this reason. They work a lot better if you rig them with the bungee as recommended, by the way. Just didn’t feel good about killing a bunch of sub 12” rockfish. Of course, the bigger problem is commercial overfishing, but it all matters IMO...
Commercial guys aren't hammering the coastline for Rockfish.Especially the La Jolla area.

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
The Half Day fleet is slaughtering the inshore rockfish stocks. It’s not commercial, they don’t fish inshore half day spots. I sympathize with them because that’s just about all they have to catch, and I remember my days as a deckhand when an extra $20 in side from fish cleaning meant a lot, but this is all happening at the expense of the future of our groundfish! The only way to help this is to stop the inshore rockfishing altogether! And that would kill the 1/2 day fleet. I don’t know what the solution is, but it can’t involve daily murder of baby cod stocks.

Upvote 0

DogDudeDrone

Aug 20, 2018
San Diego
Name
Zach
Boat
None
Very little experience here but one half day trip I took months back really disappointed me. Seeing those fish counts will get you excited but after seeing the deckhand toss my 5" rockfish in my bag I was completely surprised and bummed that those "fish count" numbers could all be babies...what a joke!

Also after having the deckhand cut my hook off the rig I was using pissed me off. Lesson learned bring your own pliers and don't let the deckhands touch your baby fish.

I also agree that these small fish should be descended, it is SIMPLE AS HELL and the deckhands walking around the boat should be utilizing tools to do so instead of wondering what to do...They have plenty of time to descend, so why aren't they? Because the small fish adds to their count...Disgusting IMO.

Why is there no size limit for rockfish?

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
Seems easy and logical doesnt it?? Ive been on local trips where they will say "dont throw your rockfish back in the water... we have a bin right here to put them in...", and they ask passengers if they want any more fish if they see a particular rider doesnt have many fish during the fish cleaning phase.

Upvote 0