PENN

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
Started at Izors about 6am, 5 or so boats around. Stopped on a few small marks. 1oz head and good old 4" swim bait. (Kman spesh ) got lots of bites but real takers. Worked the area till about 730 or 8. Hooked one good one that jumped off the hook about half way up. And landed 2 smaller sandies. I was set up more towards the inside of the reef.

Made our way to the pipe. Targeting 65-70 feet of water. Got the boat set up with the other 6 boats on the pipe. Wind was perfect and drifted almost parallel to the pipe. Water was a touch colder here than izors. We picked off about 6 fish mixed calico and sandies. Barely legal versions so everything put back. All bites came tight to the pipe. Once the swim bait got away from the structure there were no bites. I got most bites on the fall.

About 10am we made the drive up to the 150. Drifted here for nothing but a dirty pair of boxers when a 6 foot Mola belly flopped 3 feet from the boat. Scared the .... you get the point.

Was hoping the slay but fun over all trip. Stopped at ballist point on the way in for beer and nachos. Nice but a touch too trendy for me. Beer is good

Weather was epic!!!! Drive around at 17-20 KTS everywhere in my slapper whaler.

Water warmer at izors than the pipe and 150.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Started at Izors about 6am, 5 or so boats around. Stopped on a few small marks. 1oz head and good old 4" swim bait. (Kman spesh ) got lots of bites but real takers. Worked the area till about 730 or 8. Hooked one good one that jumped off the hook about half way up. And landed 2 smaller sandies. I was set up more towards the inside of the reef.

Made our way to the pipe. Targeting 65-70 feet of water. Got the boat set up with the other 6 boats on the pipe. Wind was perfect and drifted almost parallel to the pipe. Water was a touch colder here than izors. We picked off about 6 fish mixed calico and sandies. Barely legal versions so everything put back. All bites came tight to the pipe. Once the swim bait got away from the structure there were no bites. I got most bites on the fall.

About 10am we made the drive up to the 150. Drifted here for nothing but a dirty pair of boxers when a 6 foot Mola belly flopped 3 feet from the boat. Scared the .... you get the point.

Was hoping the slay but fun over all trip. Stopped at ballist point on the way in for beer and nachos. Nice but a touch too trendy for me. Beer is good

Weather was epic!!!! Drive around at 17-20 KTS everywhere in my slapper whaler.

Water warmer at izors than the pipe and 150.

It's always nice to get on the water, everything runs great, and you caught fish, nuthin' better IMO.
Thank you for posting your report!

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Sand bass seem to have switched to a night bite as of late. Better counts at night than during the day.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Stop reading the damn counts and go fish!
We caught too many sand bass yesterday on "kmans" swim baits and quite a few on fly lined sardines
Find conditions, drop anchor or troll motor, catch fish, repeat

Upvote 0

Flatinfifth

May 30, 2007
California
Name
Angel Sanchez-Figueras
Boat
Skeeter 21
I agree with "get some". Fishing brutal on Saturday down south. A week ago, a five fish weighing 25-30 lbs was not unusual. Saturday, only managed 14 pounds and change. Fish were not at all aggressive. You could meter them but they were mostly tight to the bottom and nibbling; did not EAT baits.

Reactions: get some
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Good effort guys, sounds a lot like our trip yesterday, Sunday, 7-16-17, although conditions sucked, white caps at 6am and only got worse. We ran out to the 14 before heading to the pipe. Although the Bass were small we did release 30-40.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
I agree with "get some". Fishing brutal on Saturday down south. A week ago, a five fish weighing 25-30 lbs was not unusual. Saturday, only managed 14 pounds and change. Fish were not at all aggressive. You could meter them but they were mostly tight to the bottom and nibbling; did not EAT baits.

yes nibbling!

Upvote 0