7/12 on the Gail Force

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by hawkplayer32, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badpetedave

badpetedave Active Member

Name:
    david
    Boat:
    24 proline cc REEL DEAL
    That's the first time I have herd of a boat gaffing a fish to release it safely.

2. reelbadlarry

reelbadlarry Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    23ft parker, reel bad
    1-888-334-CalTIP (888-334-2258)

WhyMe, PacificPredator and lake53 like this.
  3. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    I was wondering why this report is 4 pages in duration. Now I know.

Unbelievable, I hope that fish survived.

Blackfish and badpetedave like this.
  4. Duong_ha_1

Duong_ha_1 Member

Name:
    Tuan
    Boat:
    None
    Oh shit man...that's pic is gonna do some heavy damage.

5. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    22.5 foot searay center console
    I was on a sportboat where we were fishing locally and someone hooked a 19 lb sheephead out of season. instead of releasing it in the water they gaffed it and brought it up to take pictures with it and then someone went searching for a scale to weigh it. then threw it back over where it just floated. they then gaffed it again and used the fillet knife to puncture a hole in it, after it had been out of the water about 15 minutes. then they threw it back over where it just floated dead. local 19lb sheephead dead and floating away to be picked at by seagulls.

Although I haven't seen any boats pull BSB out of the water. most of them just cut the line like you are supposed to and release it in the water. seems like the gail force has some issues with all of the posts I've seen lately.

6. fishyhutjr

fishyhutjr Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Outback

Tony, as you stated, PLEASE READ THE REGS. The key word is "immediately." "Immediate" being defined as "done at once/instantly." You guys should have cut the line close to hook as soon as you guys realized it was a protected species. Gaffing a bsb, hauling it up on deck, sticking fingers in its eyeballs is not legal, as it is not immediate release. Even though it seemed as if it was released "safely." Most likely, it would have swam down and is in the process of dying right now. TBH, I dont blame you for it. A 150 lbs bsb is an amazing fish and I, had I not know the regs, would definitely have taken a pic. What suprises me even more is the crew/captain. They probably see bsb occasionally at catalina, why did they feel the need to take a snap???

Ratshirt and badpetedave like this.
  7. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Poising for a photo op with an illegal fish, does this really make any fisherman feel like they accomplished something?

plj46, loosendrag, Ratshirt and 2 others like this.
  8. reelbadlarry

reelbadlarry Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    23ft parker, reel bad
    It's a great "catch"...it's what happended after it got to the boat that makes people angry. I don't think the angler could have stopped them even if he knew it was not legal to take that out of the water.

hawkplayer32 likes this.
  9. bitesomthing

bitesomthing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    always upgrading
    Forget The Angler Guys, The Sportboat, (Not just this boat)any boat should know way better than any Fisherman they have onboard, the regs for this kind of stuff.
    If you are on your private boat and a (Newbie)Friend of yours catches a Illegal fish. You as as the owner/Captain Tell your buddy;" Nice catch buddy but its illegal we need to let it go and not take it out of the water". If you weren't there to tell him your buddy would probably just bring it on board not knowing.. Thats your job as a Captain/Owner of a boat. So i would think the same common sense would apply here.....................Oh wait i have seen first hand there isn't much common sense here..

10. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    I agree with you but when you have the angler posing with his rod and giving a thumbs up while deck hands are eye gouging the fish, it doesn't look good for the angler as well. Unbelievable the sport boat pulled that fish out of the water first and foremost.

11. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Blackfish likes this.
  12. bitesomthing

bitesomthing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    always upgrading
    I also agree with you. I just mean the Boat should have informed him and not assisted in pulling it out of water.........

spize909 likes this.
  13. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Gail Force - bringing out the attitudes whether on or off the boat. Priceless.

PacificPredator likes this.
  14. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    The boat should have never let that fish be brought aboard. I don't really blame the angler as many anglers don't know the fine details of the dfw regs. And I am not saying its ok for anglers not to know the regs, they should. As a private boater I stay on top of all reg changes. If I was not I might not be as aware of how strict the regs are, idk. But on a party boat I expect the captain and crew to be on top of it as its what they do daily. Even if the angler (customer) wants a photo op with the fish they should have informed the angler of the regs.

15. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    I'm still in awe they brought that thing out of the water for pictures. I hope the little feller lived to fight another day!

KID CREOLE likes this.
  16. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    THIS ^^^^^^^^

Ratshirt and KID CREOLE like this.
  17. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    For the record I did no ask them to bring the fish on board. I figured they would cut the fish loose and that would be that. The deckhand on his own initiative grabbed a gaff and the captain assisted him in bringing the fish on board. At this point I was so physically exhausted I did not really comprehend what was going on. Then I see them removing the hook and hoisting him up for a photo, so of course I jumped in... In addition, it was the cook who took the photo of the fish. This all happened extremely fast and the fish was back in the water and swimming away in no time.

Best case scenario is the boat would have had a "planned" way to properly handle the fish with as much care as possible. Although I think they did use a "good amount" of care I understand that there was probably a better way to handle the fish (although the DFW website does not have this posted). The fish was an amazing catch which is why I took the opportunity to be shot in the photograph (especially considering they were already taking its picture without me). Moral of the story is if you do not like how this fish was handled then do not fish this boat...

18. socaldieseltech

socaldieseltech Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Clyde
    Boat:
    25' Wellcraft Coastal "No Reason"
    Nice backpedal ^^^^

So what you're saying is, if you were fishing with me (never happen) but "if".....You brought a bsb up and were exhausted (wuss) and I gaffed it and my buddy took a picture of me and you with the fish with you holding your rod, even though you didn't tell us to bring it aboard it would be solely our fault and not yours?

So you did not ask them to bring it aboard. You saw them right in front of you doing it didn't you? Oh yea you were exhausted. Couldnt speak?

Let me give you some advice. If your buddies ever rob a bank, don't pose in pictures with them with the loot and then later say you weren't involved. It just looks bad ya know.

Pretty much everyone here knows you're a fool for posing with a bsb. Then posted it on the internet. I don't know if I should laugh at you or feel sad for you that you're that ignorant and foolish. Someday you will have to learn that you are accountable for all of your own actions. No one forced you to get in the photo and brag about it on the internet.

Personally I would have said wtf are you guys doing cut him loose now!
    I was on the seahorse years ago and I got a big bsb. As soon as it was at deep color and I could see it was a bsb, I said to a crew member it's a bsb. The crew member grabbed my line and snapped it off. Line came up with a curly a broken at the knot. Fish swam down immediately.

19. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    moral of the story?

upload_2015-7-13_13-12-31.jpeg

20. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    "I did not really comprehend what was going on or why I posted about it on BD." Fixed it for you!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.