Wasitrytofish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
Well, made my first attempt at the bluefin in my boat this year. first trip where the kite and yummy were the plan. Launching from Los Alamitos puts me at 70 miles to the SC ridge, where I figured I would start my day.
got a scoop from San Pedro just in case, and were on our way at 7am.
hit the ridge at 9am and started rigging and flying. Our first try so about an hour later we feel confident on the flight, speed and presentation.
Lots of fish on the radar from 35-125’.
worked south about 8 miles and then out West across the basin, South of Clamente. a few small bird schools were showing so we felt good about location. as we nearer the high spot (pretty sure the “81”), we found the foamer we all dream about. about 5 miles East of the high spot to be exact. decided to drag the yummy right over them. no takers. and as soon as they quickly sunk out, the wind and swell grew!
stayed on the troll for another couple
hours and then headed for the barn at 230pm.
shitty shitty ride for us 3 in a 24’ center counsel. i mean, 15, 20 or 30 knots produced fantastic spray from the west, some of which would have taken your eye out if you didn’t close them! well, we charged home and a total of 85 miles back on (including some tacking) and we hit the harbor entrance at 530pm.
Being my first kite trip and only one of my buddies did the kite deal on a 6 pack last summer, we felt good about our efforts.
water was 69ish the whole
time out there. as high as 70.5 Westof the 14 upon returning home.weather pending i may do it again Friday, if not sooner. that was fun out there.
Note: Props to”el Tortuga” skipper name Tom. if he reads this, he knows! hope he found them out there.

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Can't catch them from the couch - way to take a swing - a fast swing at that

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
Can't catch them from the couch - way to take a swing - a fast swing at that
yeah, it was my first center counsel trip down to the zone. done a handful over the past 20 years but always in an semi or fully enclosed cabin, or flybridge. coming home is usually a bit slower but more comfortable :)

Reactions: Hooops