7/11 tribute overnight Elvis has left....

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by spongehead, Jul 12, 2018.

1. spongehead

spongehead "ONE FISH AT A TIME"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    Yikes with all the big boys blowin up at the 43 on mon/tues my buddy Mike an i jumped on the tribute with C. Shane, dh tyler, mark, and cook Seth and 17 other fellow anglers. Left at 10pm 7/10 already baited headed to the 43 by 345am anchored and let the flat falls fly. Capt. Says fish didnt come in till grey light the day before so we stuck it out grinding. By 6, capt says the biomass they saw last few days was gone. All the other sporties were leaving already. So anchors up and went north for a bit for nada, then south where the other sporties went. Started seeing foamers after foamers no bites for awhile. Past lunch couple of guys and I are down to 20lb fluoro with a number 2 hook. Finally we hit a school that hit all 5 jigs(2 halcos on the end, 2 feathers, and a plug). 4 came over plus one flylined. Wow relief and excitement over 8-10lb yft. On to the next few foamers nada till shane said throw some iron into the foamers my buddy get bit on scrambled egg screams drag on his tranx500 pop goes his spectra. I suspect weak spectra, he says its new 65lb. Someone else hooks and lands forgot what he used but saw colt snippers and other salas/tadys go flyin. Now for me, im flylining my 20lb/#2 hook feelin sorry for my self, the time keeps clicking away, many times just bait goes every other place except the right direction. Last few stops i tried throwing a small metal black/silver jig from charkbait during my back swing someone runs up with bait in hand into my path behind me and i had to stop birdnest city just winded over the mess and racked it. Went back to my fathom 15 star flyline and clutch lever decides to pop out so cant throw into free spool anymore, Great! Was just bout to break down my gear and call it a day. Decided to rerig my trini 20 birdnest with 40lb seaguear premier and 1/0 circle. Threw it out just for fun bam 30lb bft swallows it, wanted to horse it in then reminded myself it was my first bite all day! Tyler already convinced me to back down the drag and left to help others, C shane comes by and gaffs the fish a bit later. Thats it straight up Gods blessing. Was happy to just get out, it was a lake at the 43, rest of day little wind and 1/2 foot swells maybe handful of white caps. 19 anglers 6yft, 5 bft from my 30lber to bout 60lbs. Great crew worked hard all day, capt shane went the extra mile we didnt stop fishing till 630pm. The boys repainted last offseason and she looks great! Good fishin! Oh that green cholula was great on the morning burrito.

20180711_070939_Film3.jpg 20180711_071001_Film3.jpg 20180711_180700_Film3.jpg 20180711_063620_Film3.jpg 20180711_180706_Film3.jpg 20180711_182814_Film3.jpg

tommyc, Iceberg, fish&snow and 15 others like this.
  2. Bradleyjbush

Bradleyjbush Newbie

Name:
    bradley
    Boat:
    n/a
    At least you got one! I hate those days where everything seems to be going wrong. That was my last trip as well. Thank for the report!

spongehead likes this.
  3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good job, a little better than we did on the Prowler 1.5 day.

spongehead likes this.
  4. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Nice trip but damn who else came here for a swordfish report?

Cole_cos20, Mtnfshr, DPevin and 8 others like this.
  5. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Nice job grinding it out. If there is anything I have learned it's that persistent time at the rail pays off.

6. Pokilover

Pokilover Pokilover

Name:
    Kevin Valencia
    Boat:
    overnight party boats
    Damn David. Just saw you on Sunday and asked you if you got a bluefin this year and then you go out and get one! 30 pounder will make some nice sashimi, good job buddy! -Kevin

7. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Thanks for the report.

8. Spearo4Life

Spearo4Life Member

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"

Soon as I saw the word Elvis........

TUNAGUY664 likes this.
  9. SD Fish Guy

SD Fish Guy -Patrick the aquarium pro

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Triumph 17' CC, Seapro 190wa
    Yeah I thought we were going to hear something about elvis as well.