boxofrain

The lure of failure is irresistible
Jul 6, 2007
san Juan Capistrano
Name
Ed Schmitt
Boat
Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
Left Pedro with Secret Skipper Friday night at 11:30pm. Got a scoop of ‘dines from Mike and headed over to Catalina to find Carnage for squid and a short session of 2 am fishing at Silver Canyon. It produced a 25# yellowtail for Skipper, but we did not stick around. Water temp 70 plus. Weather was balmy and T-shirt worthy under a starlit sky. Made the night time crossing to San Nick in increasingly crummy weather, as that was our target destination for WSB. Sea temp dropped to 61. Heavy fog throughout a drippy, cold morning. Could not get the WSB to go, but got a decent halibut and assorted rock fish. Halibut barfed up stomach contents. Backed down and reeled on what we figure must have been a big black seabass. 40 minutes of reverse navigation and fighting a fish that did whatever it wanted to do before it finally broke the line just below the boat. We stopped over at Santa Barbara Island to do a little more groundfishing and cut fish. Perhaps a bridge too far at that point in the day. Conditions were windy and the drift was trolling speed. We slammed home to Pedro in cranky, windy conditions. Long trip. Sore this morning. We could have saved ourselves a bit of effort by just staying on that bite at Silver Canyon and Catalina, but we had a full tanks of both fuel and bait and we like to learn the hard way.
Larry's silver canyon yellow.jpg
Larry's San Nick halibut.jpgrockfish.jpgLarry on bsb.jpghalibut barf.jpg

alwaysbendo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft
I was that blue Parker anchored next to carnage. You guys charged it for sure Nic is far! Not to be mean but you should have stayed on anchor at that spot it went off

Reactions: boxofrain

boxofrain

Jul 6, 2007
san Juan Capistrano
Name
Ed Schmitt
Boat
I was that blue Parker anchored next to carnage. You guys charged it for sure Nic is far! Not to be mean but you should have stayed on anchor at that spot it went off
Good for you guys. That was a real nice grade of fish. We almost changed our plans and hated to leave, but we had a rendezvous with a buddy boat at San Nic and we were bringing the squid.

alwaysbendo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft
Good for you guys. That was a real nice grade of fish. We almost changed our plans and hated to leave, but we had a rendezvous with a buddy boat at San Nic and we were bringing the squid.
Right on. What time did you guys get there?

boxofrain

Jul 6, 2007
san Juan Capistrano
Name
Ed Schmitt
Boat
Right on. What time did you guys get there?
between 5 and 5:30 - picked our way through the fog and delivered bait to our friends. Obviously, in retrospect, all of us would have better spent that precious squid a lot closer to home as the bite was right in our lap without a 120 mile detour that did not pan out.