Offshore 7/11/21 Sent it solo and scored a trophy Bluefin!

Brett Wells

Almost A Member
May 3, 2015
Los Alamitos
Name
Brett
Boat
NA
Here’s the full story. Was working all last week and was dying seeing all the big bluefin being caught. The plan all week was to fish Sunday, 7/11 on my 21 foot Grady White. Saturday night comes and I reconfirm with my fishing buddy of our departure. He has a new girlfriend that runs his life so I was happy to hear that he could go.

I had a prior commitment Sunday morning, a coffee date w/ a girl I’m dating haha. Went well but I didn’t hear a word she said because I was just thinking about breezers and blow ups. I got out of the coffee shop and beeline it to my house where my buddy was supposed to be getting the boat ready to go. I get home and garage is closed, no rods out or anything. I was pissed. Called him and he gave me some bs excuse that later he apologized and told me his girl was right next to him. What a doormat!

So the time was 11am and I had a choice. After some thought I decided to go. Took me a while to get everything ready and I launch it by myself and push off the dock at 12:30. I’ve heard it’s been a late bite so time wasn’t as big of a concern.

I know the dangers of fishing solo, and I tried to be as safe as possible. Wore my PFD all day, attached the kill switch to my jacket. Stayed off the bow so I wouldn’t fall in. I also had 3 buddies in the zone that I was talking with on the radio.

So I send it out of Huntington, straight for the mackerel bank. I start seeing fish about a few miles inside, and then proper it was pretty amazing the amount of fish. Few foam spots, breezers, and streaky marks of ones and twos. Threw everything at em, even the kite( which solo is a shitshow) but couldn’t connect. It was 4:00pm at this time and had a feeling it wasn’t going to happen in this zone so made the last second decision to shoot over to the 289 area, which was my desired destination. Got there at 4:30, and I set an alarm on my phone a drop dead 6pm departure time because I did not want to travel back in the dark. Moved a round a bit then found some life and started marking.

Start skipping around with the kite and around 5:25 run over the mother of all schools. It wasn’t a good school, I’ve seen those plenty of those. It was a banger school, 50ft-250ft and marked it while I was moving for a good 3-4 minutes. Right when my lure was in the zone I was waiting for the bite. Half of me didn’t want to hook one because I knew they were jumbos and solo would be crazy stressful. I’m talking with my buddy on the radio and I start to hear my 50wide sing!! Game on and by the looks of it it’s a real one. I keep it in the rod holder and wide to come tight and keep winding. I fight it for a few minutes, the start to clear the deck. Another few minutes and I get the gaffs. I’m pulling hard on this thing, and get it to color in a little under 20 minutes. I see how big it is and I’m pretty nervous, knowing being solo he could easily pull me in. I choose my shot carefully til I get him broadside, quickly throw my rod in the holder, grad the liter and stick him in the dome. Grab another gaff and get him in the gills. he’s gaffed but not mine yet. He’s big.

I put each gaff in one hand, grab my tuna spike, and put him to sleep. Did NOT want to bring him in hot on the boat. Takes about 5 minutes for me to figure out how to get him in the boat but I do. Pure stoke. 21footer, 50 miles offshore, big ass bluefin

stoked! I caught a nice 120lber the other day and this one was much bigger. I’d guess 160ish. Solo baby!! Was a fun and stressful experience, glad I did it but will not be going solo again hopefully.
6712094D-DD10-4007-945B-6E02FECF4BB1.jpeg
55914B95-C998-471D-852B-7878762F2FBB.jpeg

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Here’s the full story. Was working all last week and was dying seeing all the big bluefin being caught. The plan all week was to fish Sunday, 7/11 on my 21 foot Grady White. Saturday night comes and I reconfirm with my fishing buddy of our departure. He has a new girlfriend that runs his life so I was happy to hear that he could go.

I had a prior commitment Sunday morning, a coffee date w/ a girl I’m dating haha. Went well but I didn’t hear a word she said because I was just thinking about breezers and blow ups. I got out of the coffee shop and beeline it to my house where my buddy was supposed to be getting the boat ready to go. I get home and garage is closed, no rods out or anything. I was pissed. Called him and he gave me some bs excuse that later he apologized and told me his girl was right next to him. What a doormat!

So the time was 11am and I had a choice. After some thought I decided to go. Took me a while to get everything ready and I launch it by myself and push off the dock at 12:30. I’ve heard it’s been a late bite so time wasn’t as big of a concern.

I know the dangers of fishing solo, and I tried to be as safe as possible. Wore my PFD all day, attached the kill switch to my jacket. Stayed off the bow so I wouldn’t fall in. I also had 3 buddies in the zone that I was talking with on the radio.

So I send it out of Huntington, straight for the mackerel bank. I start seeing fish about a few miles inside, and then proper it was pretty amazing the amount of fish. Few foam spots, breezers, and streaky marks of ones and twos. Threw everything at em, even the kite( which solo is a shitshow) but couldn’t connect. It was 4:00pm at this time and had a feeling it wasn’t going to happen in this zone so made the last second decision to shoot over to the 289 area, which was my desired destination. Got there at 4:30, and I set an alarm on my phone a drop dead 6pm departure time because I did not want to travel back in the dark. Moved a round a bit then found some life and started marking.

Start skipping around with the kite and around 5:25 run over the mother of all schools. It wasn’t a good school, I’ve seen those plenty of those. It was a banger school, 50ft-250ft and marked it while I was moving for a good 3-4 minutes. Right when my lure was in the zone I was waiting for the bite. Half of me didn’t want to hook one because I knew they were jumbos and solo would be crazy stressful. I’m talking with my buddy on the radio and I start to hear my 50wide sing!! Game on and by the looks of it it’s a real one. I keep it in the rod holder and wide to come tight and keep winding. I fight it for a few minutes, the start to clear the deck. Another few minutes and I get the gaffs. I’m pulling hard on this thing, and get it to color in a little under 20 minutes. I see how big it is and I’m pretty nervous, knowing being solo he could easily pull me in. I choose my shot carefully til I get him broadside, quickly throw my rod in the holder, grad the liter and stick him in the dome. Grab another gaff and get him in the gills. he’s gaffed but not mine yet. He’s big.

I put each gaff in one hand, grab my tuna spike, and put him to sleep. Did NOT want to bring him in hot on the boat. Takes about 5 minutes for me to figure out how to get him in the boat but I do. Pure stoke. 21footer, 50 miles offshore, big ass bluefin

stoked! I caught a nice 120lber the other day and this one was much bigger. I’d guess 160ish. Solo baby!! Was a fun and stressful experience, glad I did it but will not be going solo again hopefully.
    View attachment 1298502View attachment 1298503
    Hell of a job all by yourself. That's one you'll never forget, GREAT JOB :cheers: .

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother...that was a GREAT story and read. Your BD Brothers want to award you "Stud of the week" for sure. Use to fish "solo" allot. Had some great memories....but usually released anything larger than say #50. Mostly striped marlin. Your gaffing skills...and ability to pull that beast over the rail.... wins great respect from me. Your heart must have been pounding out of your chest.....lol. Thanks for sharing! Great picts.

dave weiser

KRAZY KIRRA
    Aug 23, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    GRADY WHITE MARLIN 30
    Hey Brett Well done!! Was hoping to hear about your successful trip. We met at the ramp. I have your big brother Grady. Great read and congrats on your solo hunt. We worked the same areas. Saw lots of fish but no takers. Very frustrating but what a great day on the water!! You picked a beautiful weather day. Boat ride each way 28 knots. Let's hook up and fish one day. I'm here in HB

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Wow you got BRASS my friend! I definitely don't think id be trying that solo! That said if you ever need a +1

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Old man of the sea. LOL Nice job. I was fishing YFT solo several years ago, got three. 30-35 lbs. I can't imagine trying to land that beast solo.

So when does your buddy comes over with his balls in in girl girlfriends purse, asking for some fresh BFT slabs......?

Upvote 0