7/11/13 Tuna

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Missgen, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Since there has been a lot of action lately, my brother who was in town wanted to try his luck fishing. So the day and time was set, plan to leave house at 3:00am. One crew member no show so at 3:30 decide its time to roll. In water at 4:45 and head out to spot where action was day earlier. Set the spread just before sun rise and the wait begins. At 6:40 short rigger goes hard, down to less than half spool I get my bro on the pole. After an hour into battle my bro starts telling me drag is failing WTF he's having a hard time to gain an inch. About half hour later were finally seeing color and fish circling under boat. Seeing its a good size fish we take it easy, then it happens again. The big familiar splash and dorsal fin about 30 yds behind boat, 10 seconds later line is peeling off like the first run. Thinking damn not again and second hoping I don't get spooled the reel stops screaming at about 1/3 spool. DAMN AGAIN! He starts reeling up dead weight. About 20 mins later with about less than 100 yds out we start seeing life on end of pole. Thinking WTH tax man came back to finish collecting, right about same time I start seeing big splashes in front of boat. As he's gaining line we finally see some color, thinking wow that's a lot of fish they left behind. As we're both wondering what the heck the fish shoots up to the surface and circles. All happy we still have a fish we decide to not let fish stay in water any longer, we finally bloody the deck on second circle at 8:40am. I guess it's a good thing my drag was failing cause it gave fish a chance to dive when they came to collect taxes. Happy I could be there for my bros first Ahi, he came in at 191lbs. Happy with fish in box we decide to play till lunch time and head in, 1 strike 1 fish. Anybody know a good reel guy, guess its time to service the reels. To cousin Bree next time wake up on time! You were with us in our minds, ha yeah buddy!

Attached Files:

2. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Good going, nice ahi!

3. pastdue

pastdue Member

Name:
    Don Cale
    Boat:
    18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
    Great looking fish. What kind of reel had the failing drag? cool problem when the tax man is in town.

4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Max and Brother,
    Way to go on the fish, from the sounds of it lucky from a couple perspective. As far as the reel. "da reel man" Robert is good w/ reels, he was a regular on BD. He may be too busy killin' fish lately, haven't heard from him in a couple weeks. Glad your brother got some action.

Cheers
    Pat

5. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Max, good going on the Tax REFUND!

6. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    That's a nice 1st ahi for your brother. Glad things worked out the way it did.

7. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    At least the reel never locked up

8. Hij

Hij Newbie

Name:
    Jason Hijirida
    Boat:
    25 Force, PAIGE H
    Nice Ahi and lucky to get it on board with all the obstacles. Wasn't sure if that was you next to us first thing in the morning at the harbor. Glad to see you found the fish we went all day with no knock downs but heard guys were still picking them up. We only found the Otaru. Corwin guys been doing real good too! Congrats.

9. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Thanks Jimmy

10. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Don I got me some older penn 80stw which needed service last year, but when the fish are biting you know how that goes. Glad I didn't but then again could have been opposite.

11. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Pat
    Thanks and again thanks for info. I'll try and find the reel man, I've heard good stuff about him.

12. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Brian
    thanks yep it sure does feel good to have a refund especially for my bro.

Darren
    thanks worked out just fine, wish it always ended that way.

Poidog
    i was worried about that, after that second run that 80 was HOT!

Jason
    thanks we were just lucky. Yep Corwin guys was lucky that day they got 3. Last one was on the way in and in same area we got ours, their fish was 193#. Once we saw tax man we figured area would be dead so we moved on, oh well that's fishing.