I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Longest trip that I've done so far. Here's what could be written home about:

1st day: Trolled, chased kelp paddies and boils for YT and tuna until sundown. 1 YT landed.
2nd day: Fished the "shelf"/"rockfile" (???) for YT--end up with 1 YT and all the rockfish and lings one cared to shake a rod at.
3rd day: More of the same of 2nd day. Then headed back in the PM, trolling towards area of 1st day for tuna.
4th day: Trolled and chased boils for tuna until 3pm-ish. Were joined in the area by three overnight boats. 2 BF and 2 albies landed.

The majority of the tuna were obviously disinterested in the sardines and jigs thrown at them. 2 hookups were on sardines and 2 on jigs--fluke/outlier hookups IMHO given the number of baits and jigs sent out against 10+ boils.

The deck crew were helpful as expected. On the 2nd and 3rd day, we got a good dose of their "humor" as they randomly tapped on rod butts during drifts on the bottom. Those of us with more experience just turned around to see who was bumping into us. Those with less familiarity of what a strike really feels like reacted accordingly only to be rewarded with laughter and chuckles from crew and other anglers.

Got to dock after fireworks ended in time to fight traffic for an hour just to get out of Shelter Island/Harbor Island.

Talk around the boat on the ride home was "...shoulda spend the whole time doing what was done on the 1st and 4th day..."

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

We were certainly fed well...hats off to Nancy in the galley.

Last edited:

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
Wai no pictures ?

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
That's a good boat. When we went last year, it was the long run to San Martin where we put 178 YT on the deck. Dustin skippered that trip and it was a blast. Great crew!

Pacolypse

Sep 5, 2007
San D
Name
Paco
Boat
In my dreams
Too bad you guys didn't get a better crack at them but hopefully the 250 rockfish and 50+ lings helped morale. Look at it this way....def a possibility that you could have fished all 4 days offshore and finished with 4 or 5 fish between you. Grass is always greener when you're fishing and no catching. Thanks for the report...hopefully your next trip will be a slaughter.

bmtrout77

GO ILLINI
Feb 3, 2007
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
NADA
Great boat, great crew. I'm sure Dustin made the right call. Alot of boats came back with 4-12 tuna for 3 days worth of fishing.

Albieaholic

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2008
Riverside Ca
Name
Jordan
Boat
MOOOO
Great boat and crew! Like previously said, its better to come back with something than nothing. I have looked at these trips and I believe that the plan from the start was to hit an island on day two. While rockfish and lings may not be yellowtail fishing at San Martin Island, if the conditions at San Martin did not look promising at the time then the captain made the right call.

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
I took home 3 lings plus 12 assorted rockfish.

The lings were the first ones I've ever kept since all the one before this trip were short. So one more off the bucket list is a good thing.

Had one trip where I spent $1000 to fly from Hong Kong to Thailand, spent three days to catch one wahoo. Really proved the "It's called fishing and not catching." saying that trip.