Iceberg

Jeff
Apr 13, 2007
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
My roommies twin-V catamaran
We left Dana Landing and loaded up with bait at 4:30am. Great scoop of dines, large size. The plan was to paddy hop around the 425, 371 area. Got a report from a buddy the night before that the WSB bite was hot right our of Pacific Beach. Since there was still a heavy fog we headed over there with the rest of the crowd. Anchored up in 70 feet and started catching squid for bait. Quickly put out two flylined squid and one on the dropper. For the next 3 hours we waited, while catching wfo squid and lizard fish on an assortment of jigs. We did see one guy hooked up and another boat shouting for joy. Congrads to them!

At 8:30 we picked up and went to the nados. On the way down we see birds going nuts so we throw out some flylined dines and toss some iron. By buddy gets picked up on the dine and he set the hook. Eff yeah! Might be a little yellow... but no. Cuda. Back on track to the nados, and slow trolled dines through the middle grounds. Back and forth back and forth, nothing. Decided to drift for awhile. Nothing. Back to slow trolling and get picked up for a second, but immediately dropped.

The wind picked up and I was a little green, headed back up the line around 4pm. Just a note, there is a TON of bait out there. You could see squid in the water by La Jolla, endless schools of what looked like chovies outside of the big bay, and the meter marks were blacked out with bait in spots at the Nados. We saw many dolphin, a whale and a large mola. Tons of life out there, and although we had a shitty day yesterday, I think it will be a great year.

Roon

Harvester of Sorrow
Mar 4, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat
Reel Busy - My Pops' 25' Seafox
Great report, thanks for posting. We also fished the islands and it was not happening for us either. I knew it was not good for most but your post makes me feel a little better. I hope something changes by Sat.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fiskfinder

Aug 20, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
chris
Boat
Yak/28ftGW
We were at the islands and the south kelp. Couldn't get anything worthwhile to bite. Just barracudas which we promptly threw back. Slimy bastards.

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
That's why all the boats off PB/south corner of kelp! I was wondering.

jubben

I like fishing but love c
Feb 6, 2007
VC CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
215 Triumph
DID YOU TRY ANY SQUID AS BAIT AT THE ISLANDS? THANKS