Tranquility

Tranquility
Mar 13, 2004
Calif
Name
Bryan
Boat
Century 3200WA
I’m thinking about taking a course for a 6 pack license. Anyone with recommendations for a course that you liked?

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Getting the verified time on the water is the hard part. I believe it is 360 days signed off.

Reactions: t-ho

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Make sure you are well prepared. I started studying 6 months before the class.

Make sure you know the rules of the road like the back of your hand before you go in. It sounds simple until they start throwing both inland and international signals at you.

Then you get to learn day shapes and light patterns.

4L2NA

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
Marine Institute in SD is a good one. Back in the day, Chapmans in Stuart, FL was the go to. I spent 3 months there to get the my first license at the turn of the century. Great program but I think it is no more. I have taken several renewal courses at Marine Institute and they have been pretty good. Usually the biggest hurdle is getting the required 360 verified days at sea for the size class you are after. Get yourself (if you haven't already) a copy of Gonders (The CG License 6 Pac to Master 100 Tons), Chapman Piloting, and Dutton's Navigation and Piloting (which may be dated, but still good info). Getting the license is good even if you don't work it, just for the knowledge when sh*t happens....as many of you know already.

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

split172

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
The above posts are spot on with Maritime Institute. Another good resource believe it or not is YouTube. There is a guy that goes over every question and answer. That helped me as well.
It’s a good course to get whether you wanna charter or not. Just because you have a captains license though doesn’t mean you are good to start charging people just FYI. A lot more money And regs involved for that.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
If your going to do it, Don't waste your time on a six lic, It's a joke. Wait and just get the masters license. it is well worth it. You'll be sorry if you don't. I got mine 30 years ago and it's 100X better than a six pack.

Last edited: