Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Those are some serious allegations,Are you sure YOU weren't sleeping. Great way to screw up somebody's business. I assume you reported this to the Coast Guard.
David Dumb Ass. The Coast Guard has reports on both. The Conquest was a famous boat and my friend Doug owned and operated it. We chartered the boat two times every year.The second captain fell asleep and it hit Pyramid head and sunk. The owner lost everything. Do you want to know anything else David ?

Last edited:

Bajadan62

Apr 1, 2015
Baja Asunción, BCS, Mexico
www.sandiegoreader.com
Name
Daniel Powell
Boat
Kayak
When we ran that same boat numerous times down to Cabo, we would only have about 9 guys on board, and we would always do 2 man watches. This sort of thing happens to even some of the best guys (getting tired is what I mean). It happens nearly every year, when someone falls asleep on AP and hits an island/boat or jetty.

Two man watches aren't guaranteed, but they sure can help this ongoing problem!

The unknown fisherman:p:
My thought exactly. Especially charters, one on deck and one in the house. Charters can be unruly and hard-drinking. I'm not saying this one was, but I like to see two crew up, sober and awake. MOB can be an issue with wobblers heading for the john in the wee hours and you really don't want to leave the wheelhouse unattended.

Reactions: BajaGringo

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Most operations on this type of trip run with a crew of five: Day captain, night driver, two deckhands and the cook. No testing before departure is going to prevent a crew member from drinking after the boat casts off. Night driver probably at the helm. His job is to get the boat to the fishing grounds and at sunup, turn things over to the day captain. He almost made it.

Sad that he had the drinking problem that resulted in his demise, putting other lives in jeopardy and destroying the boat. Word is he blew a .18, that'll get you hauled away. Thank God no lives were lost.

On another note, I saw what looked like Kevin Cleary in a life jacket in the video. I guess he was working the deck? Finer crew member you'll never find.

Reactions: freegaff2

40Grit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
David Dumb Ass. The Coast Guard has reports on both. The Conquest was a famous boat and my friend owned and operated it. We chartered the boat two times every year.The second caption fell asleep and it hit Pyramid head and sunk. The owner lost everything. Do you want to know anything else David ?
Core, excellent response. The loss of any vessel is tantamount to losing a family member
I lost a race boat to an idiot delivery captain who lied about his crew attempted a solo delivery back from Ensenada.
These losses are complete, nothing but sit back and wait for the guys with badges and clipboards.
Unless you've gone through this, it's really hard to know how devastating it is. I feel for their loss, no matter the circumstances

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
Glad nobody lost their lives...
Really curious if they will try to float the Invicta as being tight to the island would imagine it's in somewhat shallow water & do-able...
It's in so many pieces that even superglue couldn't fix it. It broke up on the rocks and there is literally nothing left but debris. Someone may try and salvage the heavier items that sank but everything else is drifting junk and getting smaller from impact with Los Coronados.

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
The second capt blew a 1.9 five hours after the incident

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
It's in so many pieces that even superglue couldn't fix it. It broke up on the rocks and there is literally nothing left but debris. Someone may try and salvage the heavier items that sank but everything else is drifting junk and getting smaller from impact with Los Coronados.
Here's another look at the Coast Guard video for those who missed it, since it's now deeply buried in the thread.
If this isn't a "wake up" call (pun intended), I don't know what is.
[

Wow!!! Wasnt aware it turned into kindling...
Figured they pulled it away from the Island & cuz of the hole / impact she went down but intact. Appears from repeat impact she turned to sawdust.
That sucks!

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
And Rich does not own the Invicta or ever did or had his captains licence he was a boat manager for a elderly man who is now royaly screwed

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
The second capt blew a 1.9 five hours after the incident
He can kiss his career and his ass goodbye. The owners insurance is likely going to drop the hammer also. Sad all around; everybody loses. The one bright spot in all this is no loss of life.

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
I don't know about that...

The Owner wasn't the one who was negligent. He wasn't the one who cause the loss.
-I do agree the Captain- if found to be under the influence is screwed and would be personally liable and face criminal charges.

That should not let the insurance company off the hook for a claim from the vessel owner. The owner and passengers are the victims here.

If the Owner was at the wheel things would be much different, they definitely would not pay the claim if he was under the influence.

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
Happy everyone is ok, sad to see the boat go down, lives put in danger, monetary loss for the boat owner, all the personal gear that was lost, ETC due to something so avoidable.

Just a note regarding the .19,,,

The body burns off alcohol at a rate of .015 an hour. IE if you are a .10 when you 'stop' drinking it will take 6 hours for your body to return to .00

'stop' drinking actually should be the time it takes for the body to absorb the alcohol and then start the clock.

At least this is what we learned in class - was sometime ago so maybe it has changed a bit but probably still close.

If you do the math backwards - .19 + 5 hours of alcohol burn off his BAC (blood alcohol level) could have been as high as .26

Incredible for someone at the helm with so much at stake

Reactions: Ratshirt

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
A Facebook friend was walking IB, is that Imperial Beach? Anyway, some debris and wreckage had washed ashore there. I'll try to copy and paste some pics later.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
:hali_ruahahaha: Fer reals???? Geeeeez

You think he just made that all up!?!??

So just what do you think happened then??

Maybe the boat was abducted by aliens and the wheel watch guygal was held hostage and forced to ram the island??

Or maybe the person suddenly went blind for some unknown reason literally right before hitting a huge chunk of land??

It's pretty obvious to most what happens when a vessel such as a large charter boat hits an island....... somebody wasn't paying attention and was almost surely sleeping at the wheel. You can put money on that.

Maybe you should read this.....
Skipper Gary Norby, 56, with 30 years' experience in local waters, told Wachsmuth he "must have dozed momentarily" just before the incident.
The full article is below.....
http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-23/sports/sp-460_1_crew-member

And when you're done with that, read this....
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/outdoors/20050925-9999-1s25outdoors.html

Thank you for that Mike. I left Norby name out because of his recent passing. I don't trust myself, that is why I set all the alarms every time we go out. Even with all the safe guards bad things can still happen.

Last edited:

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Most operations on this type of trip run with a crew of five: Day captain, night driver, two deckhands and the cook. No testing before departure is going to prevent a crew member from drinking after the boat casts off. Night driver probably at the helm. His job is to get the boat to the fishing grounds and at sunup, turn things over to the day captain. He almost made it.

Sad that he had the drinking problem that resulted in his demise, putting other lives in jeopardy and destroying the boat. Word is he blew a .18, that'll get you hauled away. Thank God no lives were lost.

On another note, I saw what looked like Kevin Cleary in a life jacket in the video. I guess he was working the deck? Finer crew member you'll never find.
spot on about Kevin Steve...knows his stuff :)

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
A Facebook friend was walking IB, is that Imperial Beach? Anyway, some debris and wreckage had washed ashore there. I'll try to copy and paste some pics later.
Yep, Imperial Beach. Wind is straight out of the south today so IB is right where the debris would go.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I was on the boat. The scariest morning of my life. ! I lost all of my fishing gear and we almost lost our lives. Got off the boat with wallet and phone. Very avoidable and very negligent. The cuffs were on for a reason. All of us were violently thrown from our bunks and the ship took on water quickly. There were some injuries that were not reported on the news. Concussions, back, wrecked knee, etc. it was chartered out by many family and friends of the "plumbing company". Took 40 minutes to get the dang lifeboats off. Crew was chaotic at best during the emergency.
Thank the Lord for how and where we hit the island (straight on a slope and not into rock wall) and I am very thankful that the Sweet Marie was so close. They almost lost their boat saving us. It was bad news that close to the rocks. Thank you Sweet Marie and the Coast Guard! Amazing people for sure and we owe you big! As for the guy driving....your reckless, careless, irresponsible, and negligent actions nearly killed 25 other people and almost took many moms and dads away from their young children. How dare you do what you did when you had people that trusted you with their lives. I am holding my wife and kids quite a bit closer tonight. Fishing season is over for us, it may be over for good for me, but we are alive. By the way, most of the news stories are WAY OFF! I am sure many more accurate details will be coming.
Thank you for reporting this to us and please keep us up to date. I'm glad you and every person on that boat made it out safe. When your ready to get back on the horse give me a PM.
Corey

Reactions: Microbait

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
I was on the boat. The scariest morning of my life. ! I lost all of my fishing gear and we almost lost our lives. Got off the boat with wallet and phone. Very avoidable and very negligent. The cuffs were on for a reason. All of us were violently thrown from our bunks and the ship took on water quickly. There were some injuries that were not reported on the news. Concussions, back, wrecked knee, etc. it was chartered out by many family and friends of the "plumbing company". Took 40 minutes to get the dang lifeboats off. Crew was chaotic at best during the emergency.
Thank the Lord for how and where we hit the island (straight on a slope and not into rock wall) and I am very thankful that the Sweet Marie was so close. They almost lost their boat saving us. It was bad news that close to the rocks. Thank you Sweet Marie and the Coast Guard! Amazing people for sure and we owe you big! As for the guy driving....your reckless, careless, irresponsible, and negligent actions nearly killed 25 other people and almost took many moms and dads away from their young children. How dare you do what you did when you had people that trusted you with their lives. I am holding my wife and kids quite a bit closer tonight. Fishing season is over for us, it may be over for good for me, but we are alive. By the way, most of the news stories are WAY OFF! I am sure many more accurate details will be coming.
The news only reported what the Coast Guard reported . One back injury and the person refused treatment. Are you saying the Coast Guard didn't report the whole truth

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Thank you for that Mike. I left Norby name out because of his resent passing
I can really appreciate this because Gary (Nordbye)was my friend but one thing about him was he always told it like he saw it and respected others who did also...
It was a different time back then (kinda like the Wild West) and we did a lot to excess because we felt indestructible..hell Gary and Conklin worked together which would have killed a normal human
We fished hard and partied hard and always felt like we would know when it was time to back off for safety's sake...(which of course we didn't)..
A lot of close calls back then and since testing became mandatory Gary was able to change his ways and still was near the top of the fishing world...things are much safer for today's sport fisherman but after what allegedly has happened there certainly are no guarantees ..

Opaeater

Sep 4, 2016
inland
Name
Tom W
Boat
Procat 28
I no longer drink on boats, even as a passenger. I am not as tough as I once was, I figure I need the sober me if something happens. My first trip, 40 or so years ago, went out around 11 p.m. in rough weather and nearly capsized the following morning. The very seasick captain did not see the rogue wave in time. The boat nearly rolled over, the port rail was under water, according to others. 2 or 3 old guys, up early, broke ribs against the port side tables, they literally hung on, then fell across the cabin. I missed the action, sleeping up against the port side in the stern bunks of the Indian, it just kind of rolled me up the hull and woke me up. It has always been at the back of my mind, what would it take to get out if you are capsized in your bunk ? I guess I can add what if we hit an island and break up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.