Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Glad no lives were lost. I remember the Q105 had a timer up in the helm that had to be pressed every 15 minutes or so or it would sound an alarm in the captains quarters. But accidents can happen FAST...
SOA was 7. Barely could run down for a cup of coffee and a poop lol

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Yup, learned the lesson hard. About 15 years ago, my buddy and i trailered my boat on a Friday night after work to Shelter Island and launched at 10:00pm at night. We picked up bait and left the harbor and set the GPS to points south. The night was moonless and it was pitched black. I told my buddy to keep watch on the right side and I'll keep watch on the left. But with the long day of working and boredom, my buddy falls asleep.

About 12 miles outside of the harbor, I noticed that the water was turning foamy and immediately cut the power and turned hard left and woke my friend up. We looked ahead and didn't see anything as it was pitch black, but then we looked straight up and saw the light on top of the north island. Learned a real hard lesson.

Plot away from the island and then replot to where you are going.

Obvious to most, but in case it helps someone, never set an AP way point in line with an island -- instead, set so that if everyone is asleep, the boat goes straight past the island.

Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

s//m_cinco

Jun 25, 2009
CA
Name
X
Boat
X
If all of you they say more government regulations that are expensive and need to be mandatory are you also willing to pay the difference? The is no government regulation that doesn't go ignored and when ignored unpunished....just ask hillary.....you may still be at risk but probably a lot less then driving on a mountain road on a holiday evening.

Well played.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
i have a current license on its 4th renewal and have NEVER pulled a random screening. Granted I don't work as much as before but never a random???
For that matter, it's been over 10 years since I pull a random screening on my class A drivers license as well. There does not seem to be much checking going on (land or water). A watch alarm is a good thing for all involved.
Thank God no one died.

Reactions: yellowklr
Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Since this happened in Mexican waters , I don't see where US rules on alcohol would apply. Even if the boat is US flagged. Im I missing something.

Upvote 0

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
Since this happened in Mexican waters , I don't see where US rules on alcohol would apply. Even if the boat is US flagged. Im I missing something.
US Boat, US Crew: US Rules. regardless of where it happened the USCG will take the lead in investigation from here on. Mexico will assist if asked but by the time they arrived; if they ever did, the USCG had things in hand.

Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
The number of the long-range boats have an alarm system that has to be reset every 15 minutes when running the helm at night. Why is this type of system not mandatory on every overnight boat?

Quite possible they did have one. Lots of commercial boats do.

The boat I'm sitting on now has a timer function on an Autonav AP. Turn the function on and set the timer interval.

Good thing is everyone walked away. Could have certainly ended MUCH worse.

Reactions: BajaGringo
Upvote 0

egilli3797

Dec 19, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
None any more...
This is crazy, I was just on this for an overnight charter 2 weeks ago. Spent a lot of time talking to the Captain (Rich) and his crew. All seemed on top of their game and the boat was very well run. We (Rich and I as well as one of his crew) actually got into a lengthy conversation about running into the islands (and tuna pens) and he mentioned, as many of you have, that you always set nav a couple degrees off so as not to run into the islands. He works his crew hard but no harder than any other boat. Tough loss, I know he put so much work into his boat. Hopefully initial reports of crew being arrested are incorrect but sadly it appears likely. I'm not sure which guy it is in the video as there are 2 that look alike.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    That rock has claimed a lot of boats. More so with the gps.

Upvote 0

David Dunham

Jun 14, 2015
    Name
    David Dunham
    Boat
    David Dunham
    I fished the Outer Limits one day and the next day it hits Catalina Island
    I fished the Conquest one day and the next day it hits San Clemente Island
    Both times the watch man and watch women fell asleep.
    Those are some serious allegations,Are you sure YOU weren't sleeping. Great way to screw up somebody's business. I assume you reported this to the Coast Guard.

Upvote 0

David Dunham

Jun 14, 2015
    Name
    David Dunham
    Boat
    David Dunham
    This should be mandatory on all passenger vessels...but make it ten minutes.Make them have big digital numbers and a slowly increasing alarm for a minute before it really goes off.The fear of waking a captain that just got back to sleep would and should keep people awake.Night wheel watches on a balmy warm night and comfortable chair when dog ass tired is a accident waiting to happen and they do.
    If all of you that say more there should be more government regulations that are expensive and need to be mandatory are you also willing to pay the difference? The is no government regulation that doesn't go ignored and when ignored unpunished....just ask hillary.....you may still be at risk but probably a lot less then driving on a mountain road on a holiday evening.
    My experience with watch alarms is that a light on the dash illuminates, You then have 30 seconds to push the button that shuts it off. Sometime they are placed such that you actually have to get off your ass to hit the switch.If you let the alarm go off and the master comes out, More than likely it will be a very unpleasant experience.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Those are some serious allegations,Are you sure YOU weren't sleeping. Great way to screw up somebody's business. I assume you reported this to the Coast Guard.
    If the boats hit the island I'm sure somebody reported it to CG

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC

:hali_ruahahaha: Fer reals???? Geeeeez

You think he just made that all up!?!??

So just what do you think happened then??

Maybe the boat was abducted by aliens and the wheel watch guygal was held hostage and forced to ram the island??

Or maybe the person suddenly went blind for some unknown reason literally right before hitting a huge chunk of land??

It's pretty obvious to most what happens when a vessel such as a large charter boat hits an island....... somebody wasn't paying attention and was almost surely sleeping at the wheel. You can put money on that.

Maybe you should read this.....
    Skipper Gary Norby, 56, with 30 years' experience in local waters, told Wachsmuth he "must have dozed momentarily" just before the incident.
    The full article is below.....
    http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-23/sports/sp-460_1_crew-member

And when you're done with that, read this....
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/outdoors/20050925-9999-1s25outdoors.html

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

cj5orion

Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja
    Jun 21, 2007
    pacific beach/Gonzaga Bay
    Name
    Bert
    Boat
    gone baja
    really...all
    gettin to be like "dr phil"
    :rockin:

popcorn.jpg

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    Glad nobody lost their lives...
    Really curious if they will try to float the Invicta as being tight to the island would imagine it's in somewhat shallow water & do-able...

Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
    Name
    GW
    Boat
    Glastron Seafury
    True story...I was at the Long Beach Fred Hall show sitting next to Doug Reed, and this was probably 2 years after the Conquest hit Clemente and broke up, and he receives a phone call from the Coast Guard informing him that his EPIRB (on the Conquest) was going off and for him to check to see if it was where it was supposed to be and that no one had tampered with it. Needless to say Doug had quite an animated response to the CG, I just wonder if that EPIRB was recovered by someone and placed on a shelf somewhere and 2 years later someone picked it up and flipped it over activating the distress signal...I guess we will never know.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.