Not open for further replies.

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Rum Runner
The number of the long-range boats have an alarm system that has to be reset every 15 minutes when running the helm at night. Why is this type of system not mandatory on every overnight boat?

Reactions: SoCalAvet
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Damn. Glad everyone made it out safe and great job on the rescue boat getting all those guys aboard. That video with everyone packed on there is scary that guy did an amazing job. I hope this ends up being an accident and not a drunk captain.
Unfortunately things did not look good for this crew member. If anyone in charge was intoxicated, lock'm up.
11708348_G.jpg

Reactions: BajaGringo
Upvote 0

badgerbacker

Jun 30, 2009
Silverado, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler, Hobie, Kaboat
The breathalyzer is not a big issue for the crew... standard practice but hours after the incident.

It is the piss tests that they will probably have to worry about.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

He was already back on land and they do this for all commercial accidents. Even if he was drunk he had plenty of time to sober up.
Not necessarily. The boat went down at approximately 4-5am. They were rescued and in port at 8am. That is not a lot of time for an undisclosed amount of alcohol to clear your system. Too many factors to claim he had time to sober up, if indeed he was drunk or on drugs.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
As said, the breathalyzer test is just standard procedure, so it really means nothing just yet.

On the subject of breathalyzers itself, I would think the coast guard boat would have one on board just for this reason, and to give immediate tests.

As crazy as it sounds, maybe it wouldn't be a bad practice for charter boats to carry breathalyzers on board the boats, and before leaving the dock, they do a test to all crew members which is visual to all passengers of the test to see.

Crazy, silly, yeah maybe, but when peoples lives are on the line while they are asleep and someone is driving, it's at the very least a little more comforting knowing that the person who is driving isn't intoxicated.

It would seem to me, no one should have any problem with this (I surely wouldn't if I were a crew member), and if someone does, then that right there would seem pretty suspect.

Problem is, even if not intoxicated, this still can't combat the problem of serious fatigue and keep someone from falling the sleep at the wheel.

They should all carry one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00K4IG51Q/ezvidtrack119-20

714qio4WpjL._SX522_.jpg

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: BajaGringo
Upvote 0

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
Just read this on the news, didn't mention the under the influence at that time, but that would explain it.. Glad everyone is safe.

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
These accidents are happening too frequently if they happen at all, let alone annually. We need to start regulating things on charter boats like crew training, including safety drills, and maximum hours on the wheel/watch/24 hr periods. The safety drills must be frequent and include the checking of every life preserver for readiness. The safety systems on the vessel have to include fail safe technology for collision avoidance. There is absolutely no reason for a vessel to go aground when it has gps and radar. All that is necessary is for those existing technologies to be integrated with steering, throttle and alarms so that an imminent collision can be avoided even if the operator is asleep.

If the captain's intoxication was a contributing cause, he should go to prison let alone lose his vessel. If any of the crew was intoxicated, same result because even off duty the crew is on call for emergencies.

If the landings are chartering boats that do not have this basic level of safety in place, including limitations for hours on duty, then they are going to need to be held partially responsible as well. There is no reason for an accident like this and it should not be tolerated.

We have many more private vessels on the water every day. The percentage of those boats hitting islands is much lower than on charter boats which is outrageous. The charter boats should be the safest option because of professional captains and crew.

Just my $0.02...

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
My very short and little stint at working on charter boats was years back on this very vessel that just sunk. I worked some Albacore trips back to back, as my buddy was running the boat and at the time fishing was red hot and he could use the hand, so I offered and did some trips.

Those trips were grueling as shit, as you would be up nearly non stop as the group would board up, you would go get bait and head out. The crew would give the safety speech and then tidy up and deal with things on the way out.

At that point there might be a very small window of time for a brief nap, and often it was hardly that. You would get up, take a watch and then be relieved for the next guys watch. Morning would come before you knew it, and the crew would get the early morning trollers out while passengers would slowly filter on deck.

The bite would begin, and it would go into full crazy mode, as fish would be hitting the deck, and the crew would be bouncing from gaffing, untangling lines, instructing others what to do, shuffling decked fish to their proper places, and a million other things.

Once the day was done ( it was NEVER done), the boat would start heading back while the process of shuffling fish around, checking for who won the jackpot, hosing down the deck and cleaning up, bagging and filleting fish and more took place. Once you got to the dock and the passengers got off....... guess what, in no time the new group was boarding and ready to go! The whole process repeats almost immediately once again. It's a true ball buster, mental draining deal when you do it over and over and over.

I'm not making no excuses here guys, just rather spelling it all out. I did it for a spell and told myself Screw this!!! I love fishing like no other, but if I did that every day I realized I would soon grow to hate and despise it, and I didn't want that so I soon realized, that wasn't my cup of tea.

Somehow, someway, these crew guys need to get some much needed rest! Just keep that in mind next time you are on a charter. If a crew or two says they need to get some rest, maybe be cool and encourage it, as most of those guys on a busy season are running on fumes. It's the nature of the business I know, but the body can only take so much.

Don't really know what the answer is, but somehow a little more sleep (power naps or something) would probably help these guys.

Studies show sleep deprivation is the same as being drunk.

Americans just can't sleep. Fifty to 70 million U.S. adults have a chronic sleep disorder and one in three adults get less than seven hours of sleep a night according to the CDC. Now, a new extensive sleep study conducted in the UK by the University of Oxford and the Royal Society for Public Health is bringing to light more health risks associated with skimping on Zs. It covers what groups of people are most prone to sleep disorders, how losing sleep connects with cancer, cardiovascular disease, mental health, and how sleep ties to obesity.

One standout finding is that a lack of sleep affects the body the same way drinking alcohol does. Research found that after 17 hours without sleep, our alertness is similar to the effects of a blood alcohol concentration of 0.05%, which according to U.S. law is considered "impaired" on the legally drunk scale. After 24 hours without sleeping, the body is in the same state it'd be in at a BAC of 0.1%–well beyond the 0.08% BAC that identifies someone as legally drunk.

Basically, pulling all-nighters are just as bad for you as downing a couple of beers. Pick your poison. Or, you know, actually get some sleep.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fleet

Thepowderblues.com
May 17, 2015
Solana Beach
Name
Fishing Jedi
Boat
BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
But wouldnt the handcuffs sort of suggest there is more to it than just the breathalyzer. I saw video of this guy in handcuffs being walked off the boat in front of the customers.

Upvote 0

PD41

Jul 15, 2014
Redondo
Name
Butch
Boat
20' Bertram
See if any reports of divers salvaging gear come in later ?
Who would get the salvage rights ? Mexican waters.
You know some SD divers were thinking about it last night.
Maybe even some Ensenada divers ?

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
I remember back in the day on boats I worked on if you fell asleep on your watch you would get a slap in the face and then replaced ASAP, and one old school skipper would burn you with a lit cigarette. He was paranoid about that and checked all the time. Everyone knew it would happen, so regular crew never fell asleep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Upvote 0

desertbonito

Jul 15, 2009
Redlands, CA
Name
Allen
Boat
Triumph 170CC
Just......DAMN. So glad that all were rescued. The photos are unsettling as hell.

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat
Homeless
Simrad radar has an option to set a zone alarm. Anything coming into your radius sets off the alarm. You set how big of an area you want it to cover. Technology like that can save lives. He could have set it to 1/2 mile while in AP.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    I

I have yet to see any official story or news link that states there was an arrest...do you have a link to one? Breathalyzer(and a later pee or blood test) is standard for any commercial operator and crew, but I have yet to see a news report that states arrest...

The video shows a crew member being led away in cuffs AFTER the breathalyzer.

Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Kayak
    i worked in the business as well for a number of years. With all of the regulations set forth by the government on pay and hours worked, how is the fishing industry not more regulated. How do boat owners legally get away with it?

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    i worked in the business as well for a number of years. With all of the regulations set forth by the government on pay and hours worked, how is the fishing industry not more regulated. How do boat owners legally get away with it?

Boat crew are independent contractors (in most cases) and not employees - different rules for contractors.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.