Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
It may not matter to the passengers but the difference between falling asleep from exhaustion and being high or drunk is enormous!!!

the guy who falls asleep and causes the accident, will still be wide awake and able to help in the aftermath, getting the passengers to safety. The drunk, stoned or loaded guy is still going to be impaired after the accident, and may actually impede passenger safety...

Oh that is just such unadulterated horseshit!

You NEVER fall asleep on watch - regardless of reason.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
reading comprehension...
Oh that is just such unadulterated horseshit!

You NEVER fall asleep on watch - regardless of reason.[/QUOTE
reading comprehension...life is so much easier when you understand what is being said...

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
You NEVER fall asleep on watch - regardless
Nobody ever consciously falls asleep at the wheel.. It's not a choice that they make..but getting high or drunk is a choice that someone makes to impair themselves which makes falling asleep much more likely....
I spend up to 200 days a year as a passenger on many different vessels (while also doing wheel watches)so don't think I don't believe falling asleep Is incredibly serious and a fire able offense but making a conscious choice to put lives at risk should and does put you behind bars whether you crash or not..
Falling asleep on watch DOES happen ...i have seen it happen in fact deadliest catch has showed the whole world it happen several times with cameras in their face...
In situations where wheel watches are taking place I believe it is the skippers responsibility to make sure proper alarms are used 100% of the time and that still wouldn't prevent a disaster if someone was impaired to the point of collision without falling asleep ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
Anybody on board recognize this hat? Washed up north IB..

IMG_20160908_100939_866.jpg

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
I comprehended you just fine frendo.

You were justifying falling asleep on watch due to exhaustion.

There's NO justification.

Comprehend that?
Actually Randy, no you did not. No where in my post did I justify falling asleep, regardless of reason. I did say that the guy who caused the accident...caused, Randy(means at fault, negligent)...would still be able to assist in getting passengers off the boat IF he was not impaired by drugs or alcohol. How you got that I justified it was the reason for the "comprehension." Let me know if you need further clarification, Pal ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
The owner of the Invicta died the day after the incident I guess it pushed the old man over the edge

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
K enough bs, I'm looking for information from anyone interested in making sure something like this can never happen again.

1. Richard Allen - was Mr. Allen a licensed master?

2. Ryan McNichol - does anyone know if Mr. McNichol has a history of drug or alcohol problems?

3. Did this vessel or any other at H&M have a history of drug or alcohol abuse?

4. These vessels for hire are required to conduct periodic checks of all safety gear as well as man overboard and abandon ship drills. They are also required to maintain written logs of these activities for USCG inspection on demand. Does anyone have knowledge as to whether it is common practice for these drills not to be conducted or for these logs to be forged?

5. There are rumors that this vessel's auto pilot was down. Anyone know whether this is accurate?

6. This master allegedly turned off the radar, gps, sounder and alarms. Is this common practice?

7. I am aware of the Conquest but can you guys start listing all the times these vessels have hit the islands due to neglect of the master including being asleep at the wheel.

Any person with information related to the safety record of this vessel or this landing please PM me and we'll switch to a secure channel. Deckhands, captains, managers, charter agents, passengers - Firsthand knowledge or information leading to firsthand knowledge is all worthwhile. If you knew or heard something you think might be worthwhile use a PM. Don't hold back now is the time for this industry to reform.

Boats run by professional captains hitting islands is inexcusable.

Larry

Reactions: Mickdick
Upvote 0

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic (sold) Pursuit 2350 FreeSwimmer
Non confidential recent results............

April 8, 2016:
Post Verdict attorney fees in the amout of $173,570 were awarded along with costs in the amout of $8,344 bringing the total judgment to $275,105 when added to the underlying verdict in the DeNuccion v. Invicta Sportfishing LLC and Brian Inamura, SDSC Case No. 37-2014-00018885-CU-CO-CTL described below.

November 10, 2015:
Verdict For $93,191 Plus Cost & Attorneys Fees TBD: After a two day bench trial, Attorney Thom Diachenko obtained a verdict in the amount of $93, 191 in the case of Denuccio v. Invicta Sportfishing LLC and Brian Inamura, SDSC Case No. 37-2-14-00018885-CU-CO-CTL for various wage and hour violations for his client which included failure to pay minimum wages, overtime, meal and rest period premiums along with various penalties and record violations. The verdict was well in excess of any amount offered by the Defendants. The amount of the award will increase after costs and fees are determined by the court.

Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
K enough bs, I'm looking for information from anyone interested in making sure something like this can never happen again.

1. Richard Allen - was Mr. Allen a licensed master?

2. Ryan McNichol - does anyone know if Mr. McNichol has a history of drug or alcohol problems?

3. Did this vessel or any other at H&M have a history of drug or alcohol abuse?

4. These vessels for hire are required to conduct periodic checks of all safety gear as well as man overboard and abandon ship drills. They are also required to maintain written logs of these activities for USCG inspection on demand. Does anyone have knowledge as to whether it is common practice for these drills not to be conducted or for these logs to be forged?

5. There are rumors that this vessel's auto pilot was down. Anyone know whether this is accurate?

6. This master allegedly turned off the radar, gps, sounder and alarms. Is this common practice?

7. I am aware of the Conquest but can you guys start listing all the times these vessels have hit the islands due to neglect of the master including being asleep at the wheel.

Any person with information related to the safety record of this vessel or this landing please PM me and we'll switch to a secure channel. Deckhands, captains, managers, charter agents, passengers - Firsthand knowledge or information leading to firsthand knowledge is all worthwhile. If you knew or heard something you think might be worthwhile use a PM. Don't hold back now is the time for this industry to reform.

Boats run by professional captains hitting islands is inexcusable.

Larry

Larry.... I'm with your thinking and thought, but truth be known, as long as these boats and crews keep the hours they do during a full blown busy season, as much as I hate to say this, these issues of a collision while a boat is on Auto Pilot and just one man on watch....... well, they will continue to happen on occasion.

Maybe we can lessen them a whole bunch, but to completely make them disappear is highly unlikely.

Here is my though on the subject though.

1. 2 man watches whenever possible!!
2. Have safety alarms set and put the captain in charge of making sure they are used always during night time travel.
3. Have ring range safety alarm set to go off one mile or more from and landmark.
4. Any passengers that even remotely think the captain or any crew is under the influence should report it and inform others right away. I suppose some may say this could cause a stir, but this is serious shit we are talking about..... the lives of many people in someones hands while they are asleep, and anyone (crew, capt or whomever), that would have an issue with this would be pretty suspect right off the bat.

Nobody who knows they stay clean will ever have an issue with this, because there is no reason too.

Like I said earlier, unfortunately this sort of thing happens way more often then some would like to think, only more times than not, the person who has dozed off finally wakes up before anything bad has happened. Almost every year or so, there seems to be a report of a large vessel hitting land due to someone falling asleep at the wheel.

One last thing I would like to add to maybe help other guys who have large yachts and at times due night watches. To the owners and captains, I would say this......

When I would do trips down to Cabo with my buddy who at the time was captain on this very boat that sank, my buddy would always tell every single one of us some very important things. One being, NEVER EVER go on the back deck while on your watch by yourself and to the rail to piss or whatever. He would tell us, if you have to piss or puke, then open the back salon door and piss right on the deck, or puke to for that matter..... it will all wash down and out the scuppers come morning.

Second thing he would make clear to us, was that if any of us felt tired to the point that they just felt they could not stay awake, then NEVER ever be afraid to come wake him up. He made sure we all knew he was very serious about this, and he also made sure we understood that should we do so, there was no ill will or hard feelings (which I think is the important part here!). The guy that fears getting sleepy because of what his captain will do to him is the one you have to worry about, because these guys will try to fight the fatigue for fear of being harshly reprimanded, and eventually the fatigue will likely win and they will doze off for a spell.

Here was the coolest thing that my buddy did as captain. He had an area that he would sleep that was right up in the pilothouse area, and right behind where the guys on watch were. He would sleep right there, and let me tell you, he would hear in his sleep the slightest changes in the noise of the engine or anything else, and we would be up in a flash.

Plus whoever was on watch always knew he was right behind them sleeping, and they knew that should they doze off he might just catch them. He was cool about a guy coming to him and needing rest, but it was not cool at all to doze off.

Gotta run..... hope just a little might help.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Larmo and freegaff2
Upvote 0

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Larry.... I'm with your thinking and thought, but truth be known, as long as these boats and crews keep the hours they do during a full blown busy season, as much as I hate to say this, these issues of a collision while a boat is on Auto Pilot and just one man on watch....... well, they will continue to happen on occasion.

Maybe we can lessen them a whole bunch, but to completely make them disappear is highly unlikely.

Here is my though on the subject though.

1. 2 man watches whenever possible!!
2. Have safety alarms set and put the captain in charge of making sure they are used always during night time travel.
3. Have ring range safety alarm set to go off one mile or more from and landmark.
4. Any passengers that even remotely think the captain or any crew is under the influence should report it and inform others right away. I suppose some may say this could cause a stir, but this is serious shit we are talking about..... the lives of many people in someones hands while they are asleep, and anyone (crew, capt or whomever), that would have an issue with this would be pretty suspect right off the bat.

Nobody who knows they stay clean will ever have an issue with this, because there is no reason too.

Like I said earlier, unfortunately this sort of thing happens way more often then some would like to think, only more times than not, the person who has dozed off finally wakes up before anything bad has happened. Almost every year or so, there seems to be a report of a large vessel hitting land due to someone falling asleep at the wheel.

One last thing I would like to add to maybe help other guys who have large yachts and at times due night watches. To the owners and captains, I would say this......

When I would do trips down to Cabo with my buddy who at the time was captain on this very boat that sank, my buddy would always tell every single one of us some very important things. One being, NEVER EVER go on the back deck while on your watch by yourself and to the rail to piss or whatever. He would tell us, if you have to piss or puke, then open the back salon door and piss right on the deck, or puke to for that matter..... it will all wash down and out the scuppers come morning.

Second thing he would make clear to us, was that if any of us felt tired to the point that they just felt they could not stay awake, then NEVER ever be afraid to come wake him up. He made sure we all knew he was very serious about this, and he also made sure we understood that should we do so, there was no ill will or hard feelings (which I think is the important part here!). The guy that fears getting sleepy because of what his captain will do to him is the one you have to worry about, because these guys will try to fight the fatigue for fear of being harshly reprimanded, and eventually the fatigue will likely win and they will doze off for a spell.

Here was the coolest thing that my buddy did as captain. He had an area that he would sleep that was right up in the pilothouse area, and right behind where the guys on watch were. He would sleep right there, and let me tell you, he would hear in his sleep the slightest changes in the noise of the engine or anything else, and we would be up in a flash.

Plus whoever was on watch always knew he was right behind them sleeping, and they knew that should they doze off he might just catch them. He was cool about a guy coming to him and needing rest, but it was not cool at all to doze off.

Gotta run..... hope just a little might help.

In this case the private boats aren't the problem. SMH

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC

I hear ya, but I also wasn't referencing just private boats. Buuut, the problem does not discriminate and does exist for all boats, whether a small private trailer boat, a large yacht, or a sport fishing Charter boat.

It's just the larger boats (Yachts and Charter operations) that you are more likely to hear about.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes

But private boaters who venture offshore overnight would be wise to use it as a learning opportunity.

In addition to the thoughts above, I suggest two men (people) at the helm on staggered shifts through the night. In that regard, we require that everyone begin and end his shift on schedule. It is not good when I guy says he is too tired to get out of bed, or just another 10 minutes or whatever, even if the guy who is to be relieved is happy to keep the watch longer. If someone is too tired to take their shift, it is my responsibility to take the helm for them, which I will happily do with no (immediate) repression. I don't like it when someone tries to push his watch onto someone else, which

Upvote 0

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Word on the street is the safety briefings are a bit more intense, safety gear is being inspected and crews are doing their drills at the landings now. Captains are pissed off at Invicta for being such imbeciles. Landings are riding herd. Any truth?

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.