plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Unless someone has something factual to add like they witnessed prior situations that were similar on this boat or they know the general practices for boats at the landings regarding safety equipment, drills or insobriety while on duty, the rest of this is probably doing no good for anyone.

If you do have this information you can DM Nick so it isn't put out there in public.

This is a possible criminal matter with the most serious possible consequences for the men involved. If the captain was intoxicated he will lose everything he owns and go to prison. That's as heavy as it gets and it is very real when 20 passengers were put in life or death jeopardy.

The witnesses should be kept quiet so they can't be cross examined as to every nuance of the way they recited their recollection while they were arguing with people here.

And the injured don't need to suffer the insults of BD Trolls while they're trying to get their head straight after a life and death situation.

Learn from others' mistakes, I think that point was made by someone already.

Ali- This thread should be closed.

X2 lock it
bieberbieber

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Where is the confirmation of the 0.18-0.19 blow?

And how does that really matter in the long run?

Speculations are made all day everyday on nearly everything you can think of. The news does this as well. So someone said it...... so what! The good here is that people are talking and discussing boater safety, and mainly right now about night shifts and both staying awake and the crews being sober.

This subject and discussion Is a good sobering wake-up call for not only private boaters, but also those who are in the Charter fishing industry. Threads like this make people think and discuss the problems and possible solutions. This isn't a subject that should just be swept under the rug and forgot about.

I have already read a bunch of thought provoking and interesting things in this thread, and the truth is, BD and it's members have a pretty solid record of actually spilling out most of the truth in many of these threads........ it often takes a little sifting through to figure what's what, but there is often alot of good solid knowledge coming from this place.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the boats length (does it really matter at this point?), but I can probably clear some of it up.

It's not going to be uncommon to sometimes get different specs on a certain boat..... it's often par for the course.

I have the old International Star brochure right in front of me (I'm even in it :D). On the back of this brochure it lists the boats length at 80' and beam at 21'. Now here is part of why there is such a big difference on some places holding the info.

When I was on the boat, she had a HUGE bow pulpit.... which honestly was more like a mini plank..... it was long!! In addition to that, the boat also had a large full rack on the back. Both the plank and the rack were removed years ago. Those are some of the reasons for the different numbers given regarding its size.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
And how does that really matter in the long run
In my opinion the facts are very important in this matter..
If he wasn't drunk and simply fell asleep from fatigue as has nearly happened to most people behind the wheel at some point in their life than even though still negligent and is still a black eye on the industry it is relatable...
If he is confirmed drunk or high then such selfish endangerment of lives hopefully brings changes and awareness by both passengers and crews that rises to the level we are all looking for to prevent that from happening again...

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
In my opinion the facts are very important in this matter..
If he wasn't drunk and simply fell asleep from fatigue as has nearly happened to most people behind the wheel at some point in their life than even though still negligent and is still a black eye on the industry it is relatable...
If he is confirmed drunk or high then such selfish endangerment of lives hopefully brings changes and awareness by both passengers and crews that rises to the level we are all looking for to prevent that from happening again...

And I totally agree with that completely....... the facts do matter, and whether it's talked about here on BD, another site, on the news, at work or wherever, the facts will eventually come out.

There is no good reason to hush people when talking and discussing such an important topic. This brings things to light, it makes us talk, think, maybe come up with ideas, and along the way there will be some stupid stuff said as well (maybe by me, maybe by you, maybe by whomever), but that shouldn't be a reason to shut down something as important as this.

It's like watching a small pothole growing in front of your house, and everyday you bring it up to the city they shut you down and say "lets talk about it later. You keep bringing it up, and they keep saying later. Finally one day the thing has gotten so huge that some car hits it and blasts out of control and slams into your house killing someone. So I guess that's the time to finally talk about it????

The time to talk about it was before it turned into a bigger problem than it became. This was an extremely unfortunate incident, but maybe the little good that can come from it is bringing about discussion and awareness, and possibly some guys making changes and being more keyed in to how important night time shifts are while a boat is on Auto Pilot. Actually it's just as important during the day time.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I will start hereView attachment 788301
    So....now that a have established that the boat is 63'........I have not found a report,video or post from kusi or any news agency that has claimed the boat was 60 miles from San Diego. Next in the CG statement on their site they claimed 21 passengers and 5 crew. Now we know that they had to interview every listed crew member. I am pretty certain they ......got the number right.
    If your attitude with the CG....was even half of what you posted......they applied little credit to it.
    Glad you made it home safe. I'm also very happy the crew and all the passengers also are safe.
    See I started having flashbacks to a real bad day......The loss of 18 ....which included Kermit.
    When you post a rant that is inaccurate here stby for a corre
    I will start hereView attachment 788301
    So....now that a have established that the boat is 63'........I have not found a report,video or post from kusi or any news agency that has claimed the boat was 60 miles from San Diego. Next in the CG statement on their site they claimed 21 passengers and 5 crew. Now we know that they had to interview every listed crew member. I am pretty certain they ......got the number right.
    If your attitude with the CG....was even half of what you posted......they applied little credit to it.
    Glad you made it home safe. I'm also very happy the crew and all the passengers also are safe.
    See I started having flashbacks to a real bad day......The loss of 18 ....which included Kermit.
    When you post a rant that is inaccurate here stby for a correction.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    The invicta website says 70x22, there is another site that says 80x22 and that one says 63.4x20.
    I have the news report recorded on both phone and DVR.
    I can name and know the faces of all 6.
    Look at my original post and see the great credit I gave to the CG. They were simply amazing! I said that they made a preliminary report and the news stations reported on that report and that it had minimal details. Minimal details are to be expected at that point in time. Many details were not accurate. The details will come out eventually, as the investigation goes on, I am sure. In addition, I am very sorry for your loss and I am thankful once again to the Sweet Marie for stopping a similar tragedy. My last post was hardly a rant and this will be my last post on this thread and likely BD. Thank you once again to the Sweet Marie for doing all that you did for us.
    I seen the same news station saying it was some 60 miles south of San Diego on the rugged terrain of the cornado islands and it was anchored

Upvote 0
    Mar 5, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Spencer
    Boat
    this one
    Screenshot_20160903-234920.png

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    It's like watching a small pothole growing in front of your house, and everyday you bring it up to the city they shut you down and say "lets talk about it later. You keep bringing it up, and they keep saying later. Finally one day the thing has gotten so huge that some car hits it and blasts out of control and slams into your house killing someone. So I guess that's the time to finally talk about it????

as I recall, once a city has been notified about a pothole, they have 30(?) days or so to fix it. If an accident results after that time, the city (and your tax dollars) are liable. Damage to your vehicle from the pothole - after the city has been notified of the pothole - is also the cities' liability.

size, length and/or width dont matter. :D

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sep 22, 2003
    San Diego,Ca
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    complicated
    Can't believe a few if you are calling for This thread to be closed!! If People want To talk about it they should be able to...I do totally understand if the ones involved don't want to give Details

Covering for the boats maybe ?? Not sure your guys angle.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
    Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    boat had bad juju....

repoed then us marshall sale and buyer load tons of weed on it and get jail and boat sized

goes thru second us marshall sale with handfuls of weed still in the staterooms only to be purchased, operated and run into the island.....

the govt should have scuttled it when they had their chances...........

Upvote 0

BajaGringo

Say what???
    Jan 11, 2008
    San Quintin, Baja Mexico
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Dos Amigos
    boat had bad juju....

repoed then us marshall sale and buyer load tons of weed on it and get jail and boat sized

goes thru second us marshall sale with handfuls of weed still in the staterooms only to be purchased, operated and run into the island.....

the govt should have scuttled it when they had their chances...........

Another reason why I don't like buying vehicles (or boats) at auction. Often, you never know the REAL history...

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Wow....Wouldnt it be a bitch if this is the smoking gun on social media that helps nail somebody to a long time behind bars. Not even funny to joke about not knowing what your doing at the helm...This reminds me of so many other things on the internet. Who was that captain that got brought up on poaching charges in colorado?

Upvote 0

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    Fishead
    Boat
    cash carrying ho
    Wow....Wouldnt it be a bitch if this is the smoking gun on social media that helps nail somebody to a long time behind bars. Not even funny to joke about not knowing what your doing at the helm...This reminds me of so many other things on the internet. Who was that captain that got brought up on poaching charges in colorado?
    that was back in june 2014....

Upvote 0

BajaGringo

Say what???
    Jan 11, 2008
    San Quintin, Baja Mexico
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Dos Amigos
    Read the 2nd comment on this post. Pretty much sums it up as to what is likely coming to a San Diego Superior courtroom at some point in the near future.

Unless of course they can negotiate something before it gets that far...

Invicta Post.png

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.