backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
I was at the Fred Hall and thought I'd give it a try on the knot tying at the Izorline booth. (60#)
I tied 3 knots. A double San Diego that broke at the knot at 93.2 lb's (I thought that was pretty good, however, it did break at the knot.
Then I tried another knot I've played with for a few years, it doesn't have a name, I'd have to call it a "modified reverse trilene on steroids", ( I tie it like a regular reverse trilene, however I go through the eye 3 times. This knot did not break. The line broke, and it broke at 88 lbs. & at 82.5 lbs. WTF!
I thought that maybe it was a section of the line that pulled through the knot and got kinda kinked, but where broke was much lower than the knot in the line at the spot where it broke. They both held way more pressure than 60# (100% connection right?), but did not break as high as the double SanD.
Any ideas as to why I broke the line twice at a lower pressure and the knot at a higher pressure? I'm guessing just the line, but there was like a ten pound difference between the highest and lowest. Weird huh??

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Tying your second knot possibly generated a small amount of friction heat.

I was consistently between 93-94lbs and breaking mid length of the line not near the knot with a double SD Jam.

BTW one of those knots was beer influenced and 1 leg of the knot didn't seat as the knot was tightening, still same outcome which to me means the 2nd pass of line doesn't really help at all.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
That is strange. I also tied a DSDJ and got 88lbs out of it. Maybe that first DSDJ was just a really perfect tie? I remember the guy telling me about your knot, it was the one to beat.

How many turns on your DSDJ?

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
wraps
I was at the Fred Hall and thought I'd give it a try on the knot tying at the Izorline booth. (60#)
I tied 3 knots. A double San Diego that broke at the knot at 93.2 lb's (I thought that was pretty good, however, it did break at the knot.
Then I tried another knot I've played with for a few years, it doesn't have a name, I'd have to call it a "modified reverse trilene on steroids", ( I tie it like a regular reverse trilene, however I go through the eye 3 times. This knot did not break. The line broke, and it broke at 88 lbs. & at 82.5 lbs. WTF!
I thought that maybe it was a section of the line that pulled through the knot and got kinda kinked, but where broke was much lower than the knot in the line at the spot where it broke. They both held way more pressure than 60# (100% connection right?), but did not break as high as the double SanD.
Any ideas as to why I broke the line twice at a lower pressure and the knot at a higher pressure? I'm guessing just the line, but there was like a ten pound difference between the highest and lowest. Weird huh??

Hello Jackson,

Yes, line diameter varies on a spool. Did you test the breaking strength of just the line? Typically Izor First String 6o breaks at over 95 lbs.

Sometimes tying a knot damages the line creating a weak spot. Some knots are more prone to this and therefore break at a lower amount of force compared to others. The breaking spot may have been part of the knot wraps before tightening. You can mark the line with a sharpie while tying to verify.

Regardless of the knot used, over 80 lbs. of knot strength on 60 lbs. line should be more than enough to get it done!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I did a 5 turn double uni a few years ago that won 3rd. The line did not break at the knot. I was told to come back every once in a while to test again. Said line will test different with each batch. I think it was just above 94#...

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    If you tested the same knot 10 times you'd probably get at least 5-7 different breaking strengths, all ,of which were within a couple/few pounds of each other. It's just natural variation of everything from line to your knot-tying. The fact that all your numbers are close is really encouraging and gives you a good idea of izor 60# breaking strength.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    If you can tie a knot that does not break at the knot, that is an absolute verification of the line strength... I am curious how a crimped connection compares...

Reactions: Rodless_Jim
    Upvote 0