'60 Chevy out of DMV system

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
A friend bought a classic 60's Chevy with the original Pink slip. Car has the VIN tag and Black plates intact. Last registered back in 1995 so it's out of the DMV system. It need to be trailered so he asked if he need to bring the car to DMV office for verification of the VIN?
The friend is hearing impaired so calling DMV phone to ask is not an option. He's also asking if maybe if AAA can register it.
Hopefully someone actually knows first hand and has done it, not "I know a guy that has done this..." reply. Thx

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
Call the DMV for your friend? There are also phone services for the hearing impaired. I think the DMV is better equipped to answer your question than BD.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
HMM. Maybe call DMV or AAA for him.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Check with your local PD. The VIN verification form has a spot for the officer to sign and many departments used to let an officer come to your house and sign off a VIN verification as a courtesy for residents. I think it can be signed off by any police officer or any CHP officer. If you explain the situation to them they might send an officer by to help you out. Usually the person has the form that they got from DMV and the officer just fills in the VIN and signs it with their name and ID number.

Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
A friend bought a classic 60's Chevy with the original Pink slip. Car has the VIN tag and Black plates intact. Last registered back in 1995 so it's out of the DMV system. It need to be trailered so he asked if he need to bring the car to DMV office for verification of the VIN?
The friend is hearing impaired so calling DMV phone to ask is not an option. He's also asking if maybe if AAA can register it.
Hopefully someone actually knows first hand and has done it, not "I know a guy that has done this..." reply. Thx
All your answers right here.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
When I bought my F-250 in New Mexico, I went to AAA to register it here. The lady did go out to my truck to verify the VIN.

I think AAA can do it, but I’ve heard stories where they won’t. I suppose it’s up to them if they want to or not.

Upvote 0

poncherello

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 11, 2005
san Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
none
Either DMV will do the Vin verification or they may refer you to the CHP for a Vin Verification. Usually you have to fill out the DMV form 31. You will have to call your local CHP office for Vin verification appointment by the designated Vin Officer for the area.

If the DMV has any doubt of their inspection, they will refer you to the CHP.

Like stated, if you can go with your friend, that would probably help. It’s a pain, but after it’s all said and done, your friend can enjoy driving his cool 😎 truck!!

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
San Leandro
Name
Matt
Boat
BT 101
Either DMV will do the Vin verification or they may refer you to the CHP for a Vin Verification. Usually you have to fill out the DMV form 31. You will have to call your local CHP office for Vin verification appointment by the designated Vin Officer for the area.

If the DMV has any doubt of their inspection, they will refer you to the CHP.

Like stated, if you can go with your friend, that would probably help. It’s a pain, but after it’s all said and done, your friend can enjoy driving his cool 😎 truck!!
Exactly correct. DMV drive up lane for VIN verification here in NorCal no appt. required- just show up and a dude eventually comes out. If it’s simple and clear they do the paperwork- if not off to CHP they send you. I did this a year and a half ago. No problem.

Upvote 0