60-80lb rod options

Steiny64

Sep 3, 2017
Woodcrest CA
Name
Cory
Boat
-
Only interested in 7.5 length which will primarily be used for sinker rig/fly lining. These are the 4 that I narrowed it down to and need some input, thoughts?

Seeker 7660
Calstar GFGR-875XXH
Calstar GFGR-775H
UC RCX76 CENTAUR

Reactions: Bob Sands
Upvote 0

BrianBurchfield

Almost A Member
  • Apr 26, 2018
    Irvine
    Name
    Brian Burchfield
    Boat
    22’ Trophy CC
    The only non rail-rod is the Seeker, so I imagine it is the lightest, though the lowest rated. I fish a 875xxh for 80. It's a bit softer than the centaur, though not by much.

Upvote 0

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
    Feb 21, 2012
    Castro Valley
    Name
    Bui
    Boat
    Warfighter
    1614529684589.jpeg

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    These are 2 different beast, 60 and 80
    Raptor CX76 60#
    Centaur CX76 80#

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Not responsive to OP re 7'6", but I just picked up a 8'0" UC Premium Terminator for 60/80 sinker rig/fly line and I absolutely love it! Very light, tons of lifting power, and casts a 4" swim bait tail very nicely. Here is the link, similar conversation/recommendations to what you are getting on this thread. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Good evening Cory,

You have some great choices you have narrowed it down to but there is more to choosing a proper 60 - 80 pound rod than just the Manufacturer's noted line parameters.. The platform you are choosing to fish from, your fish fighting techniques, your personal tactile feel of a rod (Thicker grip or thinner grip. Longer or shorter fore-grip. Light weight stealth vs. heavier duty rod, faster taper, lighter or stiffer tip section), etc.. Even the length of the rod, at the line ratings noted, is up for discussion, though you did narrow your choices down to 7'6".

The job of a great tackle shop is to match the rod to the angler, not match the rod to what seems to be hot at the time.. The hot ticket will probably work but you have lots of choices as far as "The Hot Ticket".

You are welcome to PM me, I will reply with my cell phone number and I will be happy to chat about your question as there is more to discuss than what can be written on this thread..I take calls every day, many times a day.. As always, there is zero obligation to purchase from us.. I just enjoy trying to keep folks from purchasing a rod or rig that does not become their favorite regardless whom they purchase the item(s) from.. I look forward to chatting should you decide to do so.

Respectfully,

Jamie.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0