60-80 LBS. SPEED jigging / convential reel recommendations and WHY. (Paired with UC Zeus 4 or 5.)

What 60-80 LBS. speed jigging reel recommendations and why?

• Shimano Talica II

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Shimano Ocea

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Penn Torque Lever Drag Two Speed

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Daiwa Saltiga Two Speed Lever Drag

• Other?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Up for consideration are the leading manufacturers. Feel free to add your own if you don't choose to favor those below. Please include your own critical factors such weight, spool N/W, handle length, durability, gear ratio, drag system, etc, etc, etc... Since BD is the home of some of the most incredibly experienced anglers on the planet I look forward to your reasoning and input. Thanks to all participants, in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
In my opinion, the best speed jigging reel in the 60-80# range is the Maxel Ocean Max OM10. It is a single speed, but true speed jigging reels often are. On a two speed, high is often too high, and low is too low, especially when working jigs over 250 grams. 4:1 to 4.5:1 is often just right. Combine that gearing with the typically long handle of these reels and you can pull stumps with them.
Considering the fact that gears and bearings are the same and most parts are interchangeable, a Maxel Ocean Max is simply a Jigging Master reel at half price.
While I use my Ocea 4000PG in this same range, I prefer the Maxel reels for tuna due to the considerably larger drag surface area and the dual drag assembly. It stays much cooler under heavy drag loads.

Last edited:

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Avet HXJ, JX or MXJ Raptors. Caught big halibut, #140, and many big lingcod over 45” with MXJ Raptor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Accurate Valliant 600N is waaaay lighter than anything else in its class and you can even upgrade the handle to their SPJ Handle for a jigging machine!
You’re absolutely right. With the single speed 4:1 and the jigging handle, this just might the one to rule them all in the 60lb class.
I absolutely hate when someone posts good information, it means I’m going to have to buy one and see how it stacks up against the current stable.

Reactions: JBFriesen
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
In my opinion, the larger fish you go after, the need for a 2-speed goes up. Fu$k single speeds for fish over 100#'s. I ONLY speed jig, so here's my opinion(s):
Fish to 75 pounds: Penn Fathom 25N Star drag single speed- 42 IPT, 6.1:1 ratio, 30#'s of drag, 410 yards of 65# braid. Bullet proof, fast, casts great. I've caught 100 + tuna on the 25N star drag, my personal favorite for speed jigging smaller fish. I have 4 of these reels, a few go on every trip.
Fish to 125#: Penn Fathom or Torque 25NLD2, 2-speed. 5.5:1/2.7:1 , 38"/19" IPT, 33#'s drag, 410 yards of 65# braid. A little slower than the 25N star drag, but you get the low gear for larger grade fish. IMHO and experience, BFT don't respond to well to a REALLY FAST speed jigging presentation, but respond well to moderately fast presentation, hence a 2-speed gear ratio works fine. I have the Torque, it goes on every trip. Relatively new to me, fish to 30#'s on it, it's a joke bringing in 30# fish with this reel when it's capable of 100# plus fish. You can fish this reel all day.
Fish to 225 Pounds - Penn Fathom or Torque 40NLD2, 2-speed, 5.0:1/2.5:1 gear ratio, 42"21" IPT, 40#'s of drag, 550 yards of 80# braid. Fast and a bit heavier, probably won't want to speed jig this all day, but when the 150's and bigger show up, you'll want to pull this bad boy out and own the fight. I have QTY 1 Torque, and QTY 2 Fathoms. Love them for jigging bigger fish.
Honorable mention Penn Fathom or Torque 15XNLD2 -(basically a 25NLD2 NARROW) 5.5:1/2.7:1 gear ratio, 38"/19" IPT, 33#'s drag, 310 yards of 50#. I have QTY 2 Torques, and qty 2 Fathoms. 1 or 2 of these will go on every trip. :

Proof: Caught QTY 2 BFT back-to-back in less than 10 drops with the 40NLD2 on a 140 gram speed jig. 30# topshot on one fish, 60# topshot on the next. The 40N owned them.
BFT.jpg

BFT 2.jpg

Montaukmaniac
Montaukmaniac
Very much agree the 2 speed is an advantage as the LBS go up!

Many thanks for the detailed reply & story with the photo confirming proof of concept!

SO appreciated!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
In my opinion, the larger fish you go after, the need for a 2-speed goes up. Fu$k single speeds for fish over 100#'s. I ONLY speed jig, so here's my opinion(s):
Fish to 75 pounds: Penn Fathom 25N Star drag single speed- 42 IPT, 6.1:1 ratio, 30#'s of drag, 410 yards of 65# braid. Bullet proof, fast, casts great. I've caught 100 + tuna on the 25N star drag, my personal favorite for speed jigging smaller fish. I have 4 of these reels, a few go on every trip.
Fish to 125#: Penn Fathom or Torque 25NLD2, 2-speed. 5.5:1/2.7:1 , 38"/19" IPT, 33#'s drag, 410 yards of 65# braid. A little slower than the 25N star drag, but you get the low gear for larger grade fish. IMHO and experience, BFT don't respond to well to a REALLY FAST speed jigging presentation, but respond well to moderately fast presentation, hence a 2-speed gear ratio works fine. I have the Torque, it goes on every trip. Relatively new to me, fish to 30#'s on it, it's a joke bringing in 30# fish with this reel when it's capable of 100# plus fish. You can fish this reel all day.
Fish to 225 Pounds - Penn Fathom or Torque 40NLD2, 2-speed, 5.0:1/2.5:1 gear ratio, 42"21" IPT, 40#'s of drag, 550 yards of 80# braid. Fast and a bit heavier, probably won't want to speed jig this all day, but when the 150's and bigger show up, you'll want to pull this bad boy out and own the fight. I have QTY 1 Torque, and QTY 2 Fathoms. Love them for jigging bigger fish.
Honorable mention Penn Fathom or Torque 15XNLD2 -(basically a 25NLD2 NARROW) 5.5:1/2.7:1 gear ratio, 38"/19" IPT, 33#'s drag, 310 yards of 50#. I have QTY 2 Torques, and qty 2 Fathoms. 1 or 2 of these will go on every trip. :

Proof: Caught QTY 2 BFT back-to-back in less than 10 drops with the 40NLD2 on a 140 gram speed jig. 30# topshot on one fish, 60# topshot on the next. The 40N owned them.
View attachment 1314007
View attachment 1314008
Question: How much do you want to spend, and how much capacity do you think you'll need? Answering those two questions will narrow down your focus. You do not clarify of you want to use 60 or 80lb braid, or 60-80lb topshot. (assuming topshot) Either way, you're likely targeting fish over 100#'s. For me, a single speed is immediately out of the question. You'll be "that guy" that spends way too much time at the rail to bring in an average-sized fish. Check the capacities of reels you consider. Single speeds are fine for going deep with light/small diameter line for bottom fish, or medium weigtht/diameter line for small/medium pelagics. Trust me, if you're after larger fish don't consider a high-speed single, go 2-speed. I don't personally care what brand you get, get the right tool for the job you intend to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montaukmaniac
Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
Anders:

Great questions! First cost is not an overwhelming issue, as “quality” will always be price sensitive. With capacity, I habitually go with as much as I can get. Quite likely, I would prefer to go lighter with the 60 pounds, but with the BFT's currently available, it skews me towards heavier line in the event a larger model.

You have responded generously as I'm highly likely go towards the two speed Torque 25NLD2 or Torque 40NLD2 and then modifying either unit with the International T style handle.

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful, logical, & knowledgeable input!

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat

View attachment 1314007
View attachment 1314008

Dear Ron / Anders1,

I happen to notice in the photograph above that your jig had the stinger hooks heat shrink wrapped, from your figure 8 ring, over the knot to the hook shank. I'm wondering if this was a customization job, or did the jig come that way. The reason I'm asking is I have a really nice 300 gr. OT yellow and white Knife Jig, that had the stinger hooks cord "fuzzed up" after a couple of usages. Some of the jigs I've got, have only been heat shrink sealed from the shank to over the knot, while some others were almost all covered. The free swinging stingers hooks seem likely to contact another part of a hooked fish... Alternatively it seems like the total heat shrink wrapped could be a great durability / fail-safe measure or possibility, if it doesn't impair function! (Worked well for you!) ....I'm fabricating stingers presently from 300 lbs kevlar cord & use the figure 8 rings as well.

What say you?

Be well!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
Dear Ron / Anders1,

I happen to notice in the photograph above that your jig had the stinger hooks heat shrink wrapped, from your figure 8 ring, over the knot to the hook shank. I'm wondering if this was a customization job, or did the jig come that way. The reason I'm asking is I have a really nice 300 gr. OT yellow and white Knife Jig, that had the stinger hooks cord "fuzzed up" after a couple of usages. Some of the jigs I've got, have only been heat shrink sealed from the shank to over the knot, while some others were almost all covered. The free swinging stingers hooks seem likely to contact another part of a hooked fish... Alternatively it seems like the total heat shrink wrapped could be a great durability / fail-safe measure or possibility, if it doesn't impair function! (Worked well for you!) ....I'm fabricating stingers presently from 300 lbs kevlar cord & use the figure 8 rings as well.

What say you?

Be well!
Hey Montauk,
Interesting catch on the use of heat shrink. Yeah, I make all my own stingers. On one hand, stingers are pretty simple, but on the other I put a lot of thought into it and have come up with a "solution" that is pretty simple (for me) and is pretty bulletproof. People from the aircraft industry mentioned kevlar has poor (poorer?) knot strength resistance, and after some research and phone calls came up with using hollow core Technora from these guys https://estore.twinline-usa.com/collections/technora. (I have no affiliation) I use Da-Ho latch needles to utilize the hollow core to make a loop around the "figure 8", tie my knot on the hook, wrap the tag end with thread, dab some glue on it, then 3/8" heat shrink wrap the knot and the tag end to make sure it never comes loose. You can PM me for more details (and pics?) if interested.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
Hey Montauk,
Interesting catch on the use of heat shrink. Yeah, I make all my own stingers. On one hand, stingers are pretty simple, but on the other I put a lot of thought into it and have come up with a "solution" that is pretty simple (for me) and is pretty bulletproof. People from the aircraft industry mentioned kevlar has poor (poorer?) knot strength resistance, and after some research and phone calls came up with using hollow core Technora from these guys https://estore.twinline-usa.com/collections/technora. (I have no affiliation) I use Da-Ho latch needles to utilize the hollow core to make a loop around the "figure 8", tie my knot on the hook, wrap the tag end with thread, dab some glue on it, then 3/8" heat shrink wrap the knot and the tag end to make sure it never comes loose. You can PM me for more details (and pics?) if interested.
Good evening Anders,

Once again thanks for the prompt reply! I appreciate your comment on the "catch". (What could be better for an angler?) Unfortunately I got 100 feet of that 300 LBS Kevlar and have already done six jigs. ...that probably leaves me with about 96 feet. On the bright side, I have employed your full-length shrink wrap technique! I double the Kevlar, wrap my Uni like knot around the shank of the hook two times and then reverse it over itself. Then pull the loop through the eye & finishing by tightening with a pliers's handle through the loop pulling the knot quite hard! Seems "fairly" bulletproof and doubled would give aprox. 600 pound test. You're technique certainly sounds well researched, more high-tech and stealthy! The heat shrink definitely stiffens the connection and I was concerned about that aspect. I'll be testing mine out on a fall10 day and then 15 day in 2022.

Really appreciate your knowledge and generosity, Ron!

Be well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anders1
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
Hey, after reading your earlier reply, I noticed that you mentioned that I shrink wrap from figure 8 to shank of hook. I do not. Just the knot and down the shank of hook to cover tag end. The picture shows 400# Technora looped over itself, which is theoretically 800#'s thick - making it look so thick that it's shrink wrapped. It's not, but it is stiff, it's short (1/4th to 1/3rd of the jig's body) and does not wrap around the main line. That's why I stay away from longer stingers, because they wrap the main line.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
Hey, after reading your earlier reply, I noticed that you mentioned that I shrink wrap from figure 8 to shank of hook. I do not. Just the knot and down the shank of hook to cover tag end. The picture shows 400# Technora looped over itself, which is theoretically 800#'s thick - making it look so thick that it's shrink wrapped. It's not, but it is stiff, it's short (1/4th to 1/3rd of the jig's body) and does not wrap around the main line. That's why I stay away from longer stingers, because they wrap the main line.
THANKS for the clarification!

( I can now see it is the black Technora & the shrink is a tad thicker over the shank & knot!)

... well now mine are... Heat shrink from the figure 8 ring, to past the knot & down the shank, to seal the tag!

Best regards.

Reactions: Anders1
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
THANKS for the clarification!

( I can now see it is the black Technora & the shrink is a tad thicker over the shank & knot!)

... well now mine are... Heat shrink from the figure 8 ring, to past the knot & down the shank, to seal the tag!

Best regards.
Is your kevlar hollow core?

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
Other rod options that you considered besides the Zeus? Temple Reef?
I favor the UC product as Randy Penny is likely the most innovative and experienced fabricator in the USA.

Other considerations are the UC Xtream Composite line US 60XOS & US 60XXOS.

Tight lines, Booo!

Upvote 0

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
charkbait.com
Name
Sergey Smith
Boat
Imaginary
I favor the UC product as Randy Penny is likely the most innovative and experienced fabricator in the USA.

Other considerations are the UC Xtream Composite line US 60XOS & US 60XXOS.

Tight lines, Booo!
The Zeus and CXJ 00's are nice for that, the US 60XOS might not be exactly what you are expecting for jigging. Best reel would be a BV-600NN, you get a choice of 4:1, 6:1, 5/2 or 6/3 depending on what gear ratios you prefer and it requires pretty much no guiding of the line when jigging. Holds about 600m of PE4.

Upvote 0