Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Jumped on pac queen this past Sunday night. Had second thoughts due to weather, but the grade seemed to be worth it. Skipper initially indicated the conditions were tough the past trip (usually not a great sign).

Got on the grounds around 3:30a. First stop around 4a. First fish (25#) came up on 250g glow flatfall, deep (300ft). Got real quiet after that. Around 9a found some kelp with some micro yellows on them (5-10#). Around 11a got a couple nice jig strikes, one 30# in, other farmed. Spent the rest of the day paddy hoppin for YT.

It's now 5p and everyone is bummed that we couldn't get on the BFT, but thankful that at least we got some YT. We start heading back toward home. With the Coronados in sight, we get the announcement that we need to start packing it up, and this will be our last stop. Everyone starts to accept that it just wasn't going to come together on this trip.

Deckhand starts throwing heavy bait...BOIL!! BOIL!! Mad scramble to bait tank, guys get in the water quick. One guy hooks up right away on the right kind, everyone else soaking bait. Single fish hooked busts off. We keep soaking for another 15 mins, then another hookup. Steadily within the next hour, half the boat is bent just as the sun goes down. Fucking mayhem everywhere, thankfully most passengers kept calm, and crew was legit helping everyone work through the tangles. After seeing another fish boil, I could tell they were reasonable grade. Kept soaking the 50# with no takers. Switched over to 40# and got picked up right away. Was lucky enough to land a nice one on light gear (sx raptor/875H).

This was the ending that you always hope for when it's slow. Overall, we landed 23 60-80# in the dark. First time on the Pac Queen, definitely lived up to rep, and can't wait to get back aboard.

IMG_1836.jpg IMG_1840.jpg IMG_1842.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Way to take advantage of the opportunity.
Always like it when it happens during the 11th inning stretch. Everyone appreciates it way more since they had to work for it.

Pisses me off when fishing is good and folks complain about limiting quickly.

Reactions: Allen858
Upvote 0

C Train

C Train
Jan 24, 2017
Name
Chris
Boat
Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
I was using 1/0 circle, and most guys that landed fish were also using 1/0 or 2/0. Since bait was on smaller side, a few tried size 1 & 2 but didn't work out well (i.e. pulled hooks).
Thanks man! Heading out this weekend on the Tribute and hope they're biting!

Upvote 0

stripedbizzle

Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles ca
Name
JTM
Boat
No
I was using 1/0 circle, and most guys that landed fish were also using 1/0 or 2/0. Since bait was on smaller side, a few tried size 1 & 2 but didn't work out well (i.e. pulled hooks).
cant imagine size 1 or 2 hooks dragging these fish in. I dont think ill get myself to go below 1/0 this weekend unless all else completely fails.

Upvote 0

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
cant imagine size 1 or 2 hooks dragging these fish in. I dont think ill get myself to go below 1/0 this weekend unless all else completely fails.
Agreed, you will get bit better w/size 1 or 2 hook, but tradeoff is you can't put a lot of pressure/drag on fish = longer fight = less chance of landing

Upvote 0