6 hoop nets lost at Catalina

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Frijolez, Nov 26, 2016.

1. zackattack1

zackattack1 Member

Name:
    zach musser
    Boat:
    more work
    Did they have double bouys and chain around the hoop nets and line that came out the end of bouy

Frijolez likes this.
  2. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Yup, the current rips up there during big tide swings. The first net was a tester net to gauge the current. If it started to go under, we pulled it and then we would move our nets farther down the island and into shallower water. Once the current slacked, we would move the nets back out or west if we did not have limits yet.

Wasn't much of a problem moving around where ever you wanted since there was hardly anybody hooping that end yet.

j

Frijolez likes this.
  3. vincentek9

vincentek9 halibut suck

Name:
    Vince
    Boat:
    AVparker
    we lost 4 hoop setups between stoney point and the west end about 2 weeks back. we were dropping at 80' with 160' of rope and they were getting dragged away. also saw another boat nearby that had 4 buoys drifting away. we let them know and they hopefully got them back.

didnt really get anything in our saved nets either. maybe because our nets kept moving and they scared the bugs.

4. ISLAND BOUND

ISLAND BOUND Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26 striper White Knuckles
    It sucks when the current starts ripping or fields of kelp start coming by on the surface dragging your floats under.

Make sure you have enough buoyancy to float your net, meaning if you weight the shit out of them use a bigger float.

This way they will float back up, I have found my nets floating out in 400 ft of water before. Reflective tape and a spotlight works for finding nets out in open water.

Frijolez likes this.
  5. Dave Hansen

Dave Hansen Yoursaltwaterguide.com Advertiser

Name:
    Dave Hansen
    Boat:
    WILD IN SAC
    NO There is nothing to keep um in the net.They hang for a while find no food and they split that's why I pull every half hour always.

ISLAND BOUND, Frijolez and makairaa like this.
  6. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    There are several videos on youtube where the guy put a video camera above the net and watched the lobsters come and go. Even with bait in the net some did not stick around more than a minute or two. I usually have someone else onboard and we fish 10 nets. By the time we go through check, rebait, and reset all 10 nets it usually has been 30 minutes so it is time to go back to the first one.

Frijolez likes this.
  7. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Bummer on the lost hoops.

Question: are there any bonito or mackerel still over at Catalina for lob bait?

Frijolez likes this.
  8. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Tried looking for these videos but couldn't find em. What's the title?