PENN

Frijolez

Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach, ca, u.s.a.
Name
Dan
Boat
Mako 192 cc
Hooped arrow point West End last night and I have never seen anything like it… I think I have my hoops set up pretty well, ambush and nuke hoops with weight on the hoops, 150 to 200 feet of rope, buoys covered in high reflective white tape... before we could pull one full set five hoops and buoys set ups had been sucked underneath the water... I have never seen that happen and it was literally happening in front of our eyes as we could see the glow sticks glowing 10, 20, 30 feet down even when the traps have 40 extra feet from depths where we dropped. Does anybody have any information on why this happened or is this common knowledge that I have just not been privy to? There were plenty of boats both north of us and east of us and I just hooped this area opening night and many other nights and had no such problem ... weird :( The traps we did get back at least had some red gold in it...

IMG_5865.JPG IMG_5861.JPG

Upvote 0

no bananas01

Mar 22, 2015
Name
Brian Noh
Boat
Kencraft Challenger 220WA
I experienced that last weekend. I think it's the super moon thing. It's causing extreme current.

This is what I experienced last weekend. Two hours before the low tide, current picked up. It was extremely strong and dunked few our buoys. I helplessly saw the glow underwater. Similar to you, I had 50 additional feet.

When the tide shifted, so did the current. All the buoys popped back up to the surface. Got all my traps back.

Reactions: Frijolez
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Always drop one net,let it settle in for 5 or 10 minutes to see what happens.I usually do a drift test first and see how fast my gps says I'm moving to get an idea what to expect.

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Hooped arrow point West End last night and I have never seen anything like it… I think I have my hoops set up pretty well, ambush and nuke hoops with weight on the hoops, 150 to 200 feet of rope, buoys covered in high reflective white tape... before we could pull one full set five hoops and buoys set ups had been sucked underneath the water... I have never seen that happen and it was literally happening in front of our eyes as we could see the glow sticks glowing 10, 20, 30 feet down even when the traps have 40 extra feet from depths where we dropped. Does anybody have any information on why this happened or is this common knowledge that I have just not been privy to? There were plenty of boats both north of us and east of us and I just hooped this area opening night and many other nights and had no such problem ... weird :( The traps we did get back at least had some red gold in it...

View attachment 804988 View attachment 804989
Its the Current down deep, we were out and set nets in 200 ft with 100ft of scope we are weighted and all that good stuff with double buoys when current takes hoop on an Angle it will bottom you out. You should watch the HOOP sink out and you would realize the current feel it hit bottom. If you don't wait for it to hit bottom then you are screwed. 5lb min weights up to 10 lb I have still seen them sink out lesson learned the hard way. I feel your pain we lost 6 last month just need to watch the currents

Upvote 0

striper30

Nov 23, 2011
Brea, ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Precision 28
Dan- I moustache you a question...... did you lose them on your first set? That sucks bro. Tony lost 3 of them on our last trip- haha and we were only fishing in 50 -60 feet.

Let's give em hell soon- I should be ready after next week!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
It's happened to me also at Arrow Point and the 2 hoopnets were found floating in 60 feet just before Stoney Point. If you spend/spent the night you can roll down the front of the island and they're everywhere, a bi-product of hooping deeper. Those look like a couple of nice Lobsters! Have not been out deeper than 31 feet this season and that's about to change. . . . . . agree with mullet, drop one and analyze the situation quickly.

Upvote 0

weedwacker

Oct 2, 2006
san juan capistrano
Name
Franklin Jones
Boat
226 gradywhite
I commercial fished lobsters for several years. This is a common occurrence. Wait for slack tide and they will pop back up. Do not add an extra bouy. The rig will "walk" into deeper water and you will never recover it. Commercial guys weight traps around 100# so the tandem bouy won't "walk off".

Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
Temecula
Name
Robin Boyer
Boat
Patients Boat!
what happens to the traps do all the lobsters get caught and die? Seems like there should be a easier way to do this i have not got traps yet but dont want to if i will just loose them.......

Upvote 0

K.W.

Almost A Member
Apr 23, 2005
L.A.
Name
KW
Boat
S.S. Minnow
They can crawl out, it's a net not a trap. Losing a net here and there is part of the game.

what happens to the traps do all the lobsters get caught and die? Seems like there should be a easier way to do this i have not got traps yet but dont want to if i will just loose them.......

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Yup, the current rips up there during big tide swings. The first net was a tester net to gauge the current. If it started to go under, we pulled it and then we would move our nets farther down the island and into shallower water. Once the current slacked, we would move the nets back out or west if we did not have limits yet.

Wasn't much of a problem moving around where ever you wanted since there was hardly anybody hooping that end yet.

j

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
we lost 4 hoop setups between stoney point and the west end about 2 weeks back. we were dropping at 80' with 160' of rope and they were getting dragged away. also saw another boat nearby that had 4 buoys drifting away. we let them know and they hopefully got them back.

didnt really get anything in our saved nets either. maybe because our nets kept moving and they scared the bugs.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
It sucks when the current starts ripping or fields of kelp start coming by on the surface dragging your floats under.

Make sure you have enough buoyancy to float your net, meaning if you weight the shit out of them use a bigger float.

This way they will float back up, I have found my nets floating out in 400 ft of water before. Reflective tape and a spotlight works for finding nets out in open water.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
NO There is nothing to keep um in the net.They hang for a while find no food and they split that's why I pull every half hour always.

Upvote 0