afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    thank you for the report. Excellent job with the sk jig.

Not to hijack, but what’s up with this drop shot sinker rig? Is the only benefit fewer tangles? It would seem the bait has less freedom of movement. It would also seem less likely to tangle itself on the way down, but that is also solved by dropping slowly.

Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    Kayak

Not to hijack, but what’s up with this drop shot sinker rig? Is the only benefit fewer tangles? It would seem the bait has less freedom of movement. It would also seem less likely to tangle itself on the way down, but that is also solved by dropping slowly.
    Yes, I think the main advantage is to get down quickly with no tangles. No tangles is good for obvious reasons. Down quickly is good if you are first in the zone and only one or two fish are in a biting mode. Also, thumbing your spool with a heavy weight can be a pain (literally). Finally, the drift and rocking of the boat should provide some movement for your bait.

I’m thinking that if you are fishing the slide it wouldn’t make much difference. Your line would be laid out behind the boat providing good movement with few tangles. Unfortunately, if everybody adopts this new technique it will be hard to do a side by side comparison to determine which way is better. As usual, I guess people should listen to the crew and make their own best decision.

Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none

Good question. As I mentioned, I have notice the advantages being: 1. No tangles, I was able to drop it down full speed and get into the zone w/out any tangles in the set up, as you know getting into the zone with picky fish who don't stick around too long is critical. 2. Sensitivity- I could really tell when the bait was still active or when it had gone lazy. In terms of presentation, I am going to keep using it and gather more data. I caught a fish on it during a scratchy bite midday. That's anecdotal, but that tuna had no hesitation in biting.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

afraser

• Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    Yes, I think the main advantage is to get down quickly with no tangles. No tangles is good for obvious reasons. Down quickly is good if you are first in the zone and only one or two fish are in a biting mode. Also, thumbing your spool with a heavy weight can be a pain (literally). Finally, the drift and rocking of the boat should provide some movement for your bait.

I’m thinking that if you are fishing the slide it wouldn’t make much difference. Your line would be laid out behind the boat providing good movement with few tangles. Unfortunately, if everybody adopts this new technique it will be hard to do a side by side comparison to determine which way is better. As usual, I guess people should listen to the crew and make their own best decision.
    Thanks. I’ve been using a swivel below my sinker, in a normal sinker rig. That seems to keep the bait and line in better condition and has worked well. Willing to try the new setup though.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    Thanks. I’ve been using a swivel below my sinker, in a normal sinker rig. That seems to keep the bait and line in better condition and has worked well. Willing to try the new setup though.
    Yeah, if the swivel method works great! I guess I do wonder about having too much "jewelry" around the bait, as well as the unfounded notion that more connection knots create more opportunities for knot failure.😂

Upvote 0

afraser

• Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    Yeah, if the swivel method works great! I guess I do wonder about having too much "jewelry" around the bait, as well as the unfounded notion that more connection knots create more opportunities for knot failure.😂
    I use the mighty mini or spro power swivels, break at like 400# and are tiny and black, so no reflection. I started using them under the bobber balloon and that worked great, so I tried under the weight and that seemed to work well too. I don't know about that knot thing either. I really haven't had a knot failure in big line ever. I will have 3-4 knots on 100#, sometimes even 60# line (fg knot, then 2 sd jam knots on swivel, and 1 more on hook. I've had the hooks bend or break, but not knot or line failure, unless you count being sawed off.

Upvote 0

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
    Aug 8, 2009
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    19' Glasstron
    I recently read on another post from someone that fished the San Diego that they also used what they called the “new improved sinker rig”. The Captain told them to hook the sardine under the mouth and up through the nose. Anybody else use or hear this?
    Yes, I heard the same thing. It's so when you send the bait down fast, and you can with this rig (no tngles), it does not take a ton of water in the mouth which can kill 'em....

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat Name
    Linda Vista
    I recently read on another post from someone that fished the San Diego that they also used what they called the “new improved sinker rig”. The Captain told them to hook the sardine under the mouth and up through the nose. Anybody else use or hear this?
    I believe it was The San Diego and the Pacific Queen that came up with the rigging idea.

Upvote 0