fishincrazy

100 Ton
Jun 21, 2005
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
25' Mako "Get Hooked"
Headed out late Saturday night with some intel on the day before fishing just west of Ensenada. Not to mention I think I saw the entire fleet there on Marine Tracker. Anyway we left at 11:30 and headed that way to try and get the night bite which was supposed to be better than the day. Got to the grounds around 2:30 after leaving SI. Made great speed down to the spot with great sea conditions. No wind and small swell made for a perfect ride. The boys and I took shifts while others slept.

Made it to the zone and unfortunately there were only a couple of boats. We decided to stick around the area and work to see if we could find some fish on the meter. Around 3:30 after putting around a bit we did mark some fish and worked the flat falls hard. No love. We kept working the area until day break and found the water to be dirty green. Did not look like stellar conditions. Water temp was around 63 most of the day. Now that it was day light we started to search for signs of life and we found some...unfortunately what we thought were puddling BFT's turned out to be Bonito. Nice size Bonito. We had our fun with them and quickly left to search for others. We decided to turn our attention west and see if the conditions got any better. Put about 10 miles west in and water got colder and didn't turn any color. Turned the boat north, again tons of action with Bonitos. Under birds, boiling, jumping...we stopped on a couple and tried to see if any BFT's were under but got no love.

Decided that we would head north and try our luck at YT fishing instead. We were fortunate enough coming up the line to find many paddies. Most of them holding fish. We would scrape a 10lb YT off one then two off the next. Slow trolling deans seemed to work the best. Water color was improving as we went further north. We found one paddy which produced. Had our fun with the YT's but decided to keep heading north. Heard some chatter of some BFT's under another paddy so we left to possibly find our own with the same fortune. Unfortunately the rest of the day was a 1 or 2 YT off a paddy but again no love from the tuna category.

Seems like we were a day shy of getting into the action or missed the spot totally. Still fun day on the water with my son and two friends. Conditions on the way home were great so we made it back to PL in no time coming up hill.

Until next time BFT's - I will get mine this year...or at least I keep telling myself that so I keep going.

leocrazy
leocrazy
I was out saturday and you could count 40 plus boats almost all day. Water was some of the bluest i ever seen. Didnt see any bonito all day so i would say you were in the wrong area or things drastically changed on sunday
Upvote 0

fishincrazy

100 Ton
Jun 21, 2005
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
25' Mako "Get Hooked"
“ Made it to the zone and unfortunately there were only a couple of boats.”

Shouldn’t that be a good thing?

I would say no...when the day before I saw roughly 75 boats in that same area (Marine Traffic)...to only see a couple was a sign something had changed.

Upvote 0