6/6/15-target yellowtail

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by jaw1970, Jun 7, 2015.

1. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    Short version, got skunked.
    Long version, launched at Davies Friday night with the wife. Got up early to hit the bait barge at 5:00. Had a couple boats in front of us, and a line behind us. Knew then, it was gonna be crowded out there. Saw MobileHomey in line. Bait wasn't that great, a little beat up, but half of it was useable. Probably 40-50 boats already there, within 3 hours, 200 boats there. Luckily it's a big area. We soaked sardines for a few hours. I tied a blue/white 544 Lures surface iron on my new Torium 16hg and made casts. Bird nested a few times till I got the hang of it. What a sweet reel. Heard yellows were taken at Avalon Bank on the radio, and after 3 hours of nothing at the 150, decided to go. Beautiful ocean conditions. Made the run with 2 other boats doing the same. Found nothing, but gave it a shot. Looking back to LB, I saw birds in a frenzy. Another boat saw it also, and they were already on their way. I picked up and headed over. It was a small paddy, bird going nuts on it. We slid up slow and held back, tossed out some baits, and waited in inticipation of a big hook up. Didn't happen, for us or the other boat. There was a sea lion under the paddy going nuts with the birds. The other boat and I drifted off and went to reset on it again. Out of nowhere a cattle boat comes barreling in. Makes a turn towards us, mows right over the paddy, then turns straight back toward Catalina. Asshole!!! The boat was Aggressor. Never seen it before. Maybe out of Newport? What a dick. We picked up and headed back to the 150, slowly. Wife napped, I searched for paddies. Got back and fished till 2:30, wind was up and still nada for us. Saw MobileHomey again, he had a nice yellow. Saw the Rubber Ducky. All said, was a good day on the water, not a good day fishing (for us). Still learning a lot. Someday we'll get 'em.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. PacificPredator

PacificPredator Captain

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Nice try, Thx for the info

3. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report, John! Dues definitely paid. Always disappointing to hear about bad character on the water.

4. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    The effort was there....keep at it!

jaw1970 likes this.
  5. andrewtp

andrewtp Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    "Embarq"
    Thanks for the report.

Wow I thought it was just me . Lots of the sport boats were being dicks last friday. Coming way close to me and other boats too fast. Victory and Patriot stand out as class A assholes.

I'm sure a lot of us on here had the same experience w these fuckers. Chime in

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    I bought a megaphone to verbally insult any asshole who pulls that kind of crap this season. PB and sporties. It also has a super loud siren, and when I say super loud I mean it. Along with that annoyance, I got some buddies who are professional shit talkers haha.
    Thx for the report.

7. alex morataya

alex morataya Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    that sucks! at least you got out and have your own boat to do it in the middle of the week whit out the traffic.
    But this kind of issue/situation/problem goes both ways.
    I was on a party boat and the private boat went right through our chum line right as we started hooking up which of course pushed the fish down and that was that. either way, its all fucked up! the good thing is that you got out and gave it try!