Bay / Harbor 6/5 Sausalito Report

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I fished this morning with my dad. Our original plan was to go out along the Marin Headlands, but the wind was already going strong at 5:30 am, so we instead went looking for action in Richardson Bay. We ended up loading up on mixed bait (anchovies, smelt, and sardines) before heading to deeper water. Bait was holding at all levels in roughly 30 feet of water. I didn't see anything that made me get excited about halibut, so we instead targeted rockfish.

We picked up two lingcod and three brown rockfish off Cavallo Point before 9am. This was a minor milestone for me as I'm new to all this and have never caught legal lingcod. We released another small lingcod and several small rockfish. The fishing tailed off as the tide changed, so we headed in before the big winds picked up. Almost no one was out early, but by the time we came in it was a party off Angel Island.

All our strikes were on the lower of the two live bait. The sardines seemed to be most productive, but we got our fair share of strikes on the anchovies as well. I spent most of the morning running the boat and baiting my dad's line, so we essentially fished only one rod the entire day.

IMG_2759.jpeg

Last edited:

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I fished this morning with my dad. Our original plan was to go out along the Marin Headlands, but the wind was already going strong at 5:30 am, so we instead went looking for action in Richardson Bay. We ended up loading up on mixed bait (anchovies, smelt, and sardines) before heading to deeper water. Bait was holding at all levels in roughly 30 feet of water. I didn't see anything that made me get excited about halibut, so we instead targeted rockfish.

We picked up two lingcod and three brown rockfish off Cavallo Point before 9am. This was a minor milestone for me as I'm new to all this and have never caught legal lingcod. We released another small lingcod and several small rockfish. The fishing tailed off as the tide changed, so we headed in before the big winds picked up. Almost no one was out early, but by the time we came in it was a party of Angel Island.

All our strikes were on the lower of the two live bait. The sardines seemed to be most productive, but we got our fair share of strikes on the anchovies as well. I spent most of the morning running the boat and baiting my dad's line, so we essentially fished only one rod the entire day.

View attachment 1286898
    Great job keeping your Dad on the fish!

Last edited:
    Reactions: [email protected]
    Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I fished last night in the same area. We took 8 brown rockfish in a little over two hours of effort. Fish are out there.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I fished last night in the same area. We took 8 brown rockfish in a little over two hours of effort. Fish are out there.
    👌

Upvote 0