Inshore 6/5 Catching with a few surprises.

PENN

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    After last weeks trip on the Pacific Voyager I was a little bummed I’m not going to be able to fish tuna for a few months. I caught my first bluefin, at 55# and one that was 105# bled. It was definitely a blast and I’m glad I got to meet a lot of the guys on that trip.

We thought about going offshore today but stayed local in Point Loma and it was a good thing we did. One of my bait pumps was draining my starter battery really rapidly. I have two spare batteries for the trolling motor and a jumper box so we were fine to fish local kelp and troll for halibut.

Bait was good, first keeper butt in the box at 0630 and a surprise short white sea bass @ 20” that was safely released. We continued to pick away at short butts until 930 when we moved to the kelp.

Fished the kelp for some small rockfish, nonstop mackerel and some calicos. My buddy landed his Pb calico at 19” and it had a pretty good belly on it. We made our way back in after this to stay near the boat ramp because the battery kept dying.

This is where the day got really interesting. The short butts were wide open with the occasional slot fish. We ended up with about 30 total and four keepers. We only kept the one because I have so much dam bluefin, but the real surprise came when we thought we hooked into a massive butt. It wouldn’t come up from the bottom, large head shakes and solid runs straight down when it would come up. My friend pulled it to the surface and this fish was a little lost. I’ve heard of the very rare broomtail or gulf grouper being caught in San Diego, but never thought we would get one. It was safely released after a picture in the net and was a cool thing to add to a solid couple weeks of fishing. Im not sure if it’s a Broom tail or a gulf grouper but I am 99% sure it’s not a BSB.

We talked to another boat who caught about 30 butts as well with some nicer keepers. Our biggest was about 27-28” but it lives another day. It was a really good day with a mixed bag. Couldn’t have asked for a better day catching.

2B93FF80-4CD1-4A19-AEC6-5738E567E0F9.jpeg

6CE4D6EA-603E-4643-8A35-5A7C6C0F843F.jpeg

CD0E1EB9-414A-4C48-8E90-97E8793540BA.jpeg

CDCBDF21-92E4-43C6-8685-74104DE67BA8.jpeg

9CE68A98-F455-4208-A65C-068496C20AFD.jpeg

BB96DE54-79C7-423B-B7D9-FFD4FAD2BA14.jpeg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Nice tuna from last trip, and Great report/pics inshore now.
    YEAH I'd say that little Broomtail was a tad lost. LOL. Over years
    I've never caught a Grouper or Black Seabass in Mexico I could keep. Only 2 monster BSB behind Catalina years ago. Tasty fish.
    Just look ahead to fishing again, and start eating your bluefin. LOL

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
    Chatsworth
    Name
    Terry
    Boat
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Yeah Broomtail theres some in Redondo harbor also maybe they cruised up or found there way up in a bait tank. Hey thats me in the back ground at the rail in the tuna pic.

Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Broomtail. Nice job! They used to live here in abundance 60 plus years ago. I guess thats a good sign!

Upvote 0

kichigai1

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    There's a resident population in Redondo harbor and I hooked 2 of them at the jetties in Marina del rey while surffishing in Aug. 2016 as well as a striper

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    There are broomtail around. See them in LJ and Birdrock on occasion. Never seen a juvie though!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Nice run of fishing with 100lb BFT. Bay fishing is action packed. Stoked good luck next tuna trip

That is a broomtail for sure (not to be confused with a black grouper). Glad you released the fish, they are rare in SD. This small broomtail (not black grouper gotta look close) got released into the toilet. Costa Rica broomtail on vertical conventional jig whipping
    Screenshot_20210606_125448.jpg

There are also bonefish, jack crevalle, corvina, and other exotics in SD Bay. Some fish swam up in the strong 80s el nino and swam to the back, where the bay water is warm. When the fish try and leave they hit a cold water fence and turn back around

SD Bay: Targeted bonefish. Strong fish that will rip 6# line and get squirly. On live ghost shrimp. Even used a red hook :D
    IMG_20200526_195634.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Professionull1
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Nice run of fishing with 100lb BFT. Bay fishing is action packed. Stoked good luck next tuna trip

That is a broomtail for sure. Glad you released the fish, they are rare in SD. This small broomtail got released into the toilet. Costa Rica broomtail on vertical spinner jig whipping
    View attachment 1287195

There are also bonefish, jack crevalle, corvina, and other exotics in SD Bay. Some fish swam up in the strong 80s el nino and swam to the back, where the bay water is warm. When the fish try and leave they hit a cold water fence and turn back around

SD Bay: Targeted bonefish. Strong fish that will rip 6# line and get squirly. On live ghost shrimp. Even used a red hook :D
    View attachment 1287196
    I remembered reading somewhere in the regs that you can’t posses any grouper in California even if caught in Mexico. Figured I’d treat it like a BSB or a cow cod.

Are there still jacks in the bay? I’ve fished for big bones in Hawaii and caught the occasional one in Florida as bycatch(they’re not as prevalent where I’m from). This one wasn’t in the bay, which was why I was even more surprised.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    :appl:

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I remembered reading somewhere in the regs that you can’t posses any grouper in California even if caught in Mexico. Figured I’d treat it like a BSB or a cow cod.

Are there still jacks in the bay? I’ve fished for big bones in Hawaii and caught the occasional one in Florida as bycatch(they’re not as prevalent where I’m from). This one wasn’t in the bay, which was why I was even more surprised.

Smart move keeping the fish in the water in a net. Ok cool, was not sure if you C&R your leopard grouper in the bay. A few have been reported outside the bay. Adapting

Yes, Jack Crevalle live in a section of SD Bay and have reproduced. I think you can figure out the section if you think about it. Across the way from the bonefish water. Top water bucket mouth lures for the Jack Crevalle

Caught a small big eyed jack yesterday in the tropics. On gulp from the beach. Boiled fillets cat good

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    Did someone say broomtail? I concur. A few years ago I caught a 6-8 lb fish that I dismissed as a female sheephead in SD bay. It was barfing what looked like sludge and it was not pink but more of a green and probably bigger than most female sheep. After talking to some smart fish persons, we though it may be a hogfish. You never know what you may find in the bay.

MattFred1414
    MattFred1414
    You got a picture of that thing? I like seeing crazy fish that aren’t where they’re supposed to be.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    First time I ever saw a needlefish in SD. Was late 80s making smelt off a train bridge in SD. Mini needlefish

Soon after. Caught them in numerous north county warm water regions of the lagoon in SD lagoons. Then from the beach

Put time in 2 years ago for a giant sheephead at Alijos rocks. I caught hogfish wrasse. While others caught giant knot head sheephead and they did not even care.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    First time I ever saw a needlefish in SD. Was late 80s making smelt off a train bridge in SD. Mini needlefish

Soon after. Caught them in numerous north county warm water regions of the lagoon in SD lagoons. Then from the beach

Put time in 2 years ago for a giant sheephead at Alijos rocks. I caught hogfish wrasse. While others caught giant knot head sheephead and they did not even care.
    Hogfish are delicious. I’ve seen a few needlefish since I moved here. Never really thought much about them because I used to see thousands of them back home

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

Cheese Burt

Jun 8, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Charlie Cohen
    Boat
    n
    Might get yelled at for this. Are you aloud to keep broomtail. Have caught a couple on swimbaits in redondo but have always been curious if you are aloud to keep them.

Upvote 0