oishi

Socal
Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Name
crum
Boat
27ft mako
Left shelter island around 5am. Got a full scoop mixed with macs and deens. Headed towards ensenada. Saw many empty keeps on the way. Also saw lots of whales and boils. Not sure if they were bluefin but chased and threw poppers and snipers. They both get bit. Excited thinking they were tunas bit they were just 5-10lb bones. Not bad of a fight for my first firstime coworker fishing. Also dropped a sinker rig with live bait hoping some blues would hit since we saw lots of whales and dolphin. Metered some fish but no takers. Then we got lucky and found a paddy holding some yellows. Long ride searching for bluefin but only got yellows and bones for today. Made my buddy eat his first yellowtail heart too. Put the gps location on the video of the paddy holding yellows. Good luck out there.

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Left shelter island around 5am. Got a full scoop mixed with macs and deens. Headed towards ensenada. Saw many empty keeps on the way. Also saw lots of whales and boils. Not sure if they were bluefin but chased and threw poppers and snipers. They both get bit. Excited thinking they were tunas bit they were just 5-10lb bones. Not bad of a fight for my first firstime coworker fishing. Also dropped a sinker rig with live bait hoping some blues would hit since we saw lots of whales and dolphin. Metered some fish but no takers. Then we got lucky and found a paddy holding some yellows. Long ride searching for bluefin but only got yellows and bones for today. Made my buddy eat his first yellowtail heart too. Put the gps location on the video of the paddy holding yellows. Good luck out there.
    Somebody needs Gaff lessons!!! It looks like your trying to beat it to death with the gaff.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sitonmyface
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Cool report. FYI Bonita are part of the Tuna family and make
    excellent POKE if bled and iced immediately after catch. LOL
    Keep at it. Many of us all grew up fishing bones and yellows.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    You need more ice next time. Those bonitos will turn to mush by the time you get back. Best way to bleed them is to bring a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with water and put the fish head first into bucket after you cut its gills. You can also gill and gut them to make them last longer. Nice catch.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Eating the heart is a myth reserved for newbs and the gullible.
    Yeeeee-uck! barf

Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun trip!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Bonita-bleed,ice,smoke.
    Mash up smoked bonita with cream cheese and spread that shit on a triscuit....Delicious.
    This doesnt work with any other smoked fish.

Upvote 0

Bad-Rap

Sep 22, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    25' Farallon Pilothouse
    Good job on getting some fish action, you did better than us on Friday. We fished many nice paddys at the S.9 for nada.

Reactions: oishi
    Upvote 0