Bay / Harbor 6/4/2021 IZOR , Sunset Marina / Anaheim Bay charts wrong/outdated, launch lessons

PENN

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    Launched out of Sunset Aquatic Marina in Huntington with son in tow. First time in this area and becoming more amazed as to how different waters just from the different locations. Headed out to the IZORs, not that windy but really short wave periods made for a choppy and damp ride. Water temp was 63 degrees and managed one 16 inch barred bass and a bunch of mackerel. We used a rod of a double dropper with squid, and a second jigging a 4" hammer. Bass bit the hammer.

I messed up going back to ramp. I read the charts, looked at google map satellite view, thought I did my homework, and on the way back ended up in the restricted water. Didn't follow my original lessons in following other boaters since there were none when we came in. We came in from a more north direction and I could not see the GIGANTIC LIT UP SIGN that said stay in channel. Channel is right adjacent to the south east break wall, clearly marked. The charts and satellite views

The boat launch is great, people I met were really friendly and offered to help - either they saw someone that needed help as soon as I stepped off onto the dock and/or they are just really friendly. Hopefully it was the latter.

We saw our first boat that slid off the trailer. Thankfully, it was a smaller skiff with a a 25hp Mercury and it didn't fall completely off since the motor was trimmed down and kept the skiff on the trailer. We help stabilize while the owner winched it back on. Lesson learned - this ramp is steeper than the one in Dana Point or South Shores in Mission Bay so I won't unhook my bow hook until the trailer is in the water.

Hope this is helpful to those that are checking out this launch area. I searched for any other threads with similar information, I couldn't find any - if this is a redundant post I apologize.

1623084630509.png

Fisha

skipper
    Aug 3, 2006
    Orange
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    It's been awhile since I've been out, they were working on the new channel the past few trips. Good to see it's open now.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    [Many moons ago...] I've turned early and driven right up to that bar that no longer exists, coming back on a dark nite.
    Get inside the breakwater and point it at the green light hanging under the bridge.
    oops.

Upvote 0

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
    Orange
    Name
    L Train
    Boat
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    Thanks for the posts everyone! Been a while but at least now I know what to expect next time I launch there ...

Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    I messed up, I was going to add this to the original post. I took this image on the North East buoy on the mussel farm:
    1623099259110.png

Any idea what I am looking at? We dropped a hammer and a flat fall and got nada.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    I messed up, I was going to add this to the original post. I took this image on the North East buoy on the mussel farm:
    View attachment 1287513

Any idea what I am looking at? We dropped a hammer and a flat fall and got nada.
    For starters, turn off the damn little fish symbols and their depths. Also your sensitivity is a bit high. Try and clean up your image

Upvote 0