PENN

Ricky Fish

Aug 2, 2017
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Ricky Fischel
Boat
2520 Parker
Got started early with Taylor, Cole, and the @tuna_twins. Pointed it out to our zone and got underway. As soon as we passed over the top of the 226 we started to see fish. Tried to fish it a little bit, but didn't spend too much time on it because we needed to make our way west. Looked like smaller yellowfin and possibly bluefin. Continued to see fish all the way to our zone, scattered every couple of miles.

Saw some real nice foam on the way out and once we got within 3 miles of our destination we stopped to glass and found a proper foamer within minutes. It was puddling and foaming real nice for the first hour we were in our zone and we run and gunned, throwing poppers and jigs. No love on the first few foamers as they sank out pretty quickly once we got on them.

Our fourth or fifth spot of foam was INSANE. This spot stayed up for a good 5 minutes and was all around the boat, easily a football field wide. We were all sorts of in the foam and finally Cole gets ripped on the nomad Chug Norris popper. All of this fish in the foam was probably between 70-120 pounds. While he was fighting this fish, the twins and I were able to get a crazy amount of casts straight in the foam but couldn't get it to bite. Cole's fish ended up coming unbottoned about 20 feet from the boat. The nomad poppers have J hooks on them and they essentially have no barb, so Cole opted for the early morning catch and release. Definitely a bit demoralizing and we never came across another foamer as good.

After chasing these fish across this zone and realizing that 1) probably wouldn't be a good time to fight a 100+ lb class fish on the jig stick, and 2) it wasn't biting very well with the exception of the one, we decided that it was time to put out the flyer. Got it up and putted around for 10 minutes when we hailed another boat working that same zone with us and they told us that they moved a couple miles south to a zone with active puddling fish. We hadn't seen very good sign in our zone for a little while.

We pulled the kite in and made our way south. First flyer out was in the water for about 10 minutes and we could see in the binos that it wasn't sitting right so we went to pull it in. One of the twins was messing with us stripping line off the reel with the clicker on, and I see the flyer get exploded on as he was goofin with us, but we weren't really paying attention and somehow he slurped the fish off of the hooks. Saw a huge spot pop up behind us, so we flipped a 180, put the flyer right on top of it and were bit almost immediately. Ended up pulling the hook on that fish after about 15 minutes.

Saw another spot of birds with fish going pretty good underneath it, so we pushed a little upswell to set up on that. This fish was moving pretty quick so we had to reset a few times but once we got on top of them, another almost instant blowup. Come tight on this one and get another flyer out on the kite. After 10 or so minutes, the second flyer gets ripped, and we have doubles on the right kind. The next hour or so was hectic, fighting two big fish trying to maneuver around the outboards and not cross up the lines. We actually got the second fish to the boat first, and he was being a real pain in the ass, but we were able to stick him, and about 20 minutes later we stuck the original fish.

Everyone was stoked. We bled, gilled, and gutted the fish before putting them on ice and making our way home. The ride home sucked. If you care about your spine at all, get a catamaran. Like I said, we saw fish all the way from the 226 out to our zone, which was northwest of the 43. Good luck.

6:30.1.JPG

6:30.2.JPG

6:30.3.JPG

6:30.4.JPG

6:30.5.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Damn you guys killed it!

Reactions: Ricky Fish
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Bravo for you guys. Numerous shots ... and a few kite "big'uns"....makes a great day!

Although kite fishing is sometimes boring.... If your not paying consistent attention.... that phenomenal "blow out" always makes the heart start pounding. Good work.... informative post and great picts. Smiles all over... for sure!

How many of us have done the "clicker trick" ..... and got bit....lol? Good fun! Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    here's a hint.... Don't use dull hooks so early in your day! :D

Great write up and good job!

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Great Report and Congratulations on an Awesome Day! Nice to know somebody is putting the wood to them! That first pic is a Wallhanger get 4 copies made so years from now when you keep in touch with your buddies over the phone you can look at that pic and brighten your day with the memory!

Upvote 0

Ricky Fish

Aug 2, 2017
    Newport Beach, CA
    Name
    Ricky Fischel
    Boat
    2520 Parker
    Deep or modified V on that 2520? In the market for a deep V 2520, know they ride rough but heard deep rode better than the modified V. Do you have permatrim on you motors?
    it's a deep V, the wind was up pretty good and it was a pretty short interval. also we were 2 hours away from the point, but we had fish in the bag so it was alright

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    way to stick with it guys! thanks for the report

Upvote 0