Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Launched sheltered, got ok bait, headed for the 226 area. Heard fish were moving more towards the corner so split the difference. Not much going on there, so headed up to the corner along the ridge lots more boats! Lots of looking all around for most. Lots of whales in the area between 43 and 182 be careful had one come up right next to the boat trolling scared the crap out of us !!Metered most fish in that area. Everyone and their moms are spread out in those areas. Only saw the Old Glory and Oceanside 95 boat 1 fish wonder how they did over all. Tried all kinds of flatfalls, colt snipers, sinker rigs, flylined, in 50lbs, 30lbs, hell even went 20lbs. Even tried my fresh dead squid nothing but a few small blue sharks...nothing nothing nothing for us! Had a massive Mako swim around my boat a few times was at least 7’ long not sure weight wise but had some girth on it too thought about trying for it since nothing else was happening but said nope too big to deal with that at sun down. Headed back to Point Loma and 15 miles out full foamer of 25lb tuna ..my buddy and I are like are you f’in shitting me right now !! Was able to get a couple casts on one good one but no takers but they sink out super fast !! Run and gunned for about an hour on these fish for nada !! Frustrated tired we called it ...did 150 miles burned 40 gallons and had nothing oh well....We’ll get them next time!! Good luck, stay safe, and tight lines !!!

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I was out there very early se of the corner 6-30. Saw a big tuna landed by the Tribute and nothing more until everybody left. Then the bluefin puddled a couple times and then stumbled on a paddy with a seagull for a single 15 pound yellowtail. Only bite of the day and felt lucky to get anything. Bluefin are tough to figure.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Had a massive Mako swim around my boat a few times was at least 7’ long not sure weight wise but had some girth on it too thought about trying for it since nothing else was happening but said nope too big to deal with that at sun down.
On Wednesday we saw a huge Mako. The wake around the fin was massive.

There are some big ones around. This Photo was from last month in oside harbor

14CFBDE7-A51A-4301-886A-B3703D0E113C.jpeg

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Had a charter on the San Diego on Sunday. We had limits. With 30 people on the boat, you get to see what works and what does not. DEFINITELY-- 20 lb test and a small j hook (#1) made the difference in getting a bite. Jumping to 25 or 30 lb could get you a bite, but the guys using 20 were bit all the time. The fish were all 25 lbs so they were very catchable.

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Had a charter on the San Diego on Sunday. We had limits. With 30 people on the boat, you get to see what works and what does not. DEFINITELY-- 20 lb test and a small j hook (#1) made the difference in getting a bite. Jumping to 25 or 30 lb could get you a bite, but the guys using 20 were bit all the time. The fish were all 25 lbs so they were very catchable.
#4 owner mutus! As small as a j hook, but always a corner hookup.

Upvote 0