Offshore 6/26 - Chased bluefin, caught yellowtail...kind of a long read for just one yellowtail...and no pics

PENN

Rauterki

The worst fisherman on the boat
Oct 8, 2009
San Clemente, CA
www.crossfittothecore.com
Name
Jon
Boat
I'm in the market. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Got a text a few days ago from my buddy, Brian - "You want to go out on Sunday and go after those big bluefin?"

How could I resist? I know we haven't seen much in the way of biting bluefin, much less big ones in the last few days but, screw it, it's fishing and I had the day off. So, the plan was to meet up at 6:00 and launch from the South Shores ramp (kind of a late start but I was appreciative due to one too many IPAs on Saturday night) when I got another text at about 6:05, "My alarm didn't go off. I'll be there in 20-30..." No big deal, it's fishing and I had the day off...

Get the boat in the drink by 7:00 and, as luck would have it, I needed to poop. Ran up to the bathrooms and...son of a bitch, they're all locked. Another poor bastard was there and told me that he had been waiting for 20 minutes and nobody had come out of any of them so they must be locked and not just occupied. No big deal, it's fishing, I had the day off and...I'm sure that Brian had a couple of buckets in the boat. I was wrong. There's nothing more I like than a good challenge so I figured, "Screw it, I'll just tough it out." I'm not so sure I'll take that challenge again.

So, headed out of the bay, stopped off and picked up a scoop of clydesdale 'dines (to simply call them horses would be selling them short; these things were gigantic) and one lone mackerel (more about him later). Did a radio check (on both the house radio and the handheld) and...nobody was receiving us. Took a look at all the connections, wires etc. and...couldn't figure out what was wrong. My vast knowledge of electrical engineering finally kicked in and I said, "Maybe the bluetooth speaker is interfering with the transmission." Nope, that couldn't be it, never had a problem with it before, there's no way that thing is interfering....And, I was right. So, turned off the speaker, did another check and voila, everything was functional.

The plan was to head out to the 182, and head to the Corner if needed. On the way out we heard some chatter that things were pretty good earlier in the morning but had tapered off. No big deal, it's fishing and I had the day off. Hit the 182, put the trollers out (One green/yellow daisy chain, one black/purple daisy chain, a spreader bar with...damn, I forgot what was on there, and a cedar plug). Followed temp breaks, looked for paddies, diving birds, random boils, huge schools of 200# bluefin....and didn't see much. Trolled around the 182 for awhile then decided to check the Corner....performed the same drill once we got there and had the same results (even tried slow-trolling our little mackerel buddy and a couple of the sardines). The mackerel was too good to just let go so we put him back in the tank to see if we might be able to use him later in the day.

Decided to backtrack, look for paddies, birds etc. and slowly make our way in. Found 5-6 nice sized paddies and didn't have any luck with bait, surface irons, poppers, flat falls, yo-yos.....until we finally hit one last paddy on the way in. On the way we saw several areas with diving birds and each one of them had jumping tuna (I would guesstimate them to be in the 20-30 pound range) below them. Unfortunately, they didn't want to play so...no tuna for you!!!

Set up a drift on that last paddy and threw everything we had at it. Didn't meter any fish but....decided to hang out and see if anything would pop up. Brian decided to pin on the mack and, after about 15 minutes, put his rod in the rack and his reel in gear while he put some things away. We all know what happens next: Sure enough, his reel goes off and he doesn't hear it (IN GEAR and no clicker). I said, "I think you're bit," and he looks at me like I'm speaking Latin. Grabs the rod and is instantly convinced that he's just hooked to the paddy...until the "paddy" gives him a couple head shakes. Sure enough, it's a 15 pound yellow. Gets it to the side of the boat and...I swing and miss with the gaff. In my defense, I'm a shitty gaffer (even though I played a little ball about a million years ago and was a really good hitter) and, I still hadn't pooped. Anyway, I hit him on the second shot and all was well. Well...except for the location of the gaff. Nowhere near the head....and one of MY filets has a nice hole in the middle of it. It was a team effort.

All in all, it was a good day. Nice weather, not too much of a bump on the water, good bait...and I had the day off.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Dude I read all that and you didn't lose me at all. Nice job and I'm still looking for my first yellowtail (only gone out once).

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Finally used the Porta potty on our boat after 6 months or more of owning it. Glad we had it lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Rauterki

Oct 8, 2009
    San Clemente, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Nice read and 10 point for the effort. I never leave the dock until I take a crap

Made the same mistake a couple weeks ago. Never again.

Finally used the Porta potty on our boat after 6 months or more of owning it. Glad we had it lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Normally I'm pretty regular but I've been working a midnight shift lately so my entire schedule is backwards. I'm usually good until 7:00 p.m. or so...this early morning surprise was kind of an anomaly.
    In any event, I pushed the envelope a little and have set a new limit for myself. A man's got to know his limitations....

Last edited:
    Reactions: yellowfish26
    Upvote 0

stanky1

Sep 11, 2009
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Squid Mark
    Boat
    Scout 175 Sportfish
    I make an effort to take care of business before leaving the dock, but I have no issues with dropping a fudge dragon overboard if need be. There are no facilities on a 17 ft craft.

Have any of you ever had to go #2 while scuba diving in a 5 mm full suit in the winter? Now that's nature at her cruelest.

Upvote 0

fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 10, 2009
    hemet ca USA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    Funny read.... Couples weeks ago I seen a guy dropping a duece off of LA Jolla . funny shit metering around look over pale white ass over the side :Emoticon_Potty_Time and clinging to the rails...

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I make an effort to take care of business before leaving the dock, but I have no issues with dropping a fudge dragon overboard if need be. There are no facilities on a 17 ft craft.

Have any of you ever had to go #2 while scuba diving in a 5 mm full suit in the winter? Now that's nature at her cruelest.

My 17' has a porta potti, but my fat ass is to big. Worse case scenario I pull it out on the deck, or go for a circular swim.

Dropping a stink pickle while diving in the winter though.... Uh.... Fuck that!

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Hey it's fishing... and you had the day off.
    You know what the heaviest thing in the world is?? Shit... even an elephant can't hold it.
    Jon, if I didn't know better I would think you were just letting us know that you are full of shit. lol

I am assuming that "Brian" is our friend that you work with? Does he still have the Invader? If your looking for a boat those are great boats, mine is a foot bigger than his but I am sure his works as well as mine... everyone who goes out with me and has their own boat are blown away how dry it is and how well it rides.

Was out with one of my buds in his 22' pilot house and he said he had to go in but would come right back out... he had to take a dump. I walked over to my stuff and handed him a bucket, a trash bad and a roll of TP... I said, dude you got a pilot house... man up.. and hope you never have to go to jail. :rofl::rofl:

Sorry you didn't get any Tuna, but at least you didn't get skunked. I am surprised you went back to L.J instead of hitting the 43, 302 and the 226... I know, you guys don't have passports and/or don't know what you have to have to leave the country and fish in foreign waters. LOL I have been trying to get Brian out and buddy boat for years. Have you and your son been out shooting the 22?

Reactions: Rauterki
    Upvote 0

Rauterki

Oct 8, 2009
    San Clemente, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Hey it's fishing... and you had the day off.
    You know what the heaviest thing in the world is?? Shit... even an elephant can't hold it.
    Jon, if I didn't know better I would think you were just letting us know that you are full of shit. lol

I am assuming that "Brian" is our friend that you work with? Does he still have the Invader? If your looking for a boat those are great boats, mine is a foot bigger than his but I am sure his works as well as mine... everyone who goes out with me and has their own boat are blown away how dry it is and how well it rides.

Was out with one of my buds in his 22' pilot house and he said he had to go in but would come right back out... he had to take a dump. I walked over to my stuff and handed him a bucket, a trash bad and a roll of TP... I said, dude you got a pilot house... man up.. and hope you never have to go to jail. :rofl::rofl:

Sorry you didn't get any Tuna, but at least you didn't get skunked. I am surprised you went back to L.J instead of hitting the 43, 302 and the 226... I know, you guys don't have passports and/or don't know what you have to have to leave the country and fish in foreign waters. LOL I have been trying to get Brian out and buddy boat for years. Have you and your son been out shooting the 22?
    Hey George,
    Yep, same Brian and he still has the Invader. One of these days my wife is gonna break down and let me get another boat and if his is still available, I'll hit him up and see if he'll give me the buddy discount. I was pretty damn close to jumping into the water to take care of business but the combo of a 4' swell and Brian's boat-handling capabilities scared the shit right back into me.

In fact, your name came up during our little excursion (I know how much you like your boat and I asked him if he still had his). You know, every time I pass that Costco where me met up makes me remember how cool it was for you to do what you did.

We've been out shooting quite a bit and my son was lucky enough to get a Wyoming antelope tag for this year (I struck out). So, it looks like we'll be making at least one trip to for him to put all of his practice into play. He's pretty good with his .22 and I don't think he'll have any problem with my 6.8 - and he outfishes me on a regular basis too.

Upvote 0