T-Bass

Jul 26, 2015
Socal
Name
Trevor
Boat
225 Aquasport Explorer
Long story short, got the skunk.

Went solo Sunday morning after my friends bailed the day prior and one didn’t wake up on time Sunday morning.

Left DP at 4:30am and hit the 267, 209, 181 and glassed around until I hit the 43. I didn’t see any signs of fish on the way down but the water looked great at least. Started skipping the yummy up the ridge until 8 miles or so short of SCI then turned back to down to the southwest of the 43 where I marked most of the bait. Sent up the dead flyer and slow trolled around for a couple hours. I didn’t mark any fish but I did see one fish break the surface in the distance (couldn’t tell what it was) and I marked a good bit of bait. Left the grounds around 2:30 pm and worked my way back. Hit a few dry paddies for nada. Most of the life I saw all day was 7-8 miles off DP with birds, dolphins, whales, bait balls, and a few jumbo flying fish. I wouldn’t be surprised if some fish moved in close with all the bait around.

Though I do enjoy fishing solo most of the time, I’m looking for a couple reliable crew members or buddy boats with experience fishing for big BFT to join me this summer chasing tuna. Let me know if anyone’s interested.

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
I'm in DP and interested in fishing offshore. Willing to chip in and clean. Our 18.5 ft Cobalt open bow i/o doesn't have the range to chase tuna, just local kelp etc. Although have caught a 20 lb yellowfin 5 miles off of Dana.

Upvote 0

T-Bass

Jul 26, 2015
Socal
Name
Trevor
Boat
225 Aquasport Explorer
Skipping the yummy solo. What kind of kite do you use? I like fishing solo myself.
SFE All Purpose Kite, it was my first time using it and pretty easy to get the hang of.

Not sure how you will bring the BTF on the boat if caught one. What was the water temp at the 43? Thanks for the report.
I think it was right around 63.5 if I remember correctly but my temp gauge may be a little off.

Reactions: Mannyd1990
Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
Great effort. Hope you get rewarded next time.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    You need to find some new friends... have the same problem and end up going alone most of the time. Got a big tuna, alone, long, long fight... got it to the boat and couldn't get it in the boat, almost pulled me over the rail and I ended up watching it swim away with my gaff in it.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Damn all these solo fishermen and here I am dying to get out. I'm on vacation for the next six weeks anyone have room for one let me know. I have all the gear (minus the kite itself), gas money, beer money, lunch, you name it.

Upvote 0

Latest posts