Inshore 6/20 enterprise Crazy Shit

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
the far reaches of crazy
Name
Boat Name
toy
It's crazy shit that somebody would be holding 6 of those things for a picture.Is he going to eat that crap ?
A captain once chewed me out when I told the person who had chartered the boat, that "Sand Bass are not the best-tasting fish, toss it back" "Who are you to tell someone what tastes good and what doesn't. If they want to keep it and eat it, let them be. They caught it, and that's what they came out to do. To each his own."

I have eaten Cuda a few times. It's one of those fish that you need to take care of right away (bleed, ice and filet, refrigerate) and eat fresh. Battered IMO was best but seasoned and grilled was also ok. But then again, I'm kind of like that will all my fish. Ice it, clean it asap, and eat it fresh. Halibut is about the only fish I can still enjoy after it's been frozen for more than a week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beerman1

Almost A Member
Jul 14, 2014
OC
Name
eric
Boat Name
triumph 17 CC
Last Saturday I caught and kept one. Put it in the livewell and came in shortly after catching. Filleted as soon as I got home. Wife baked it with mayo and Parmesan. It was excellent. Not fishy, not mushy. Wife told me to bring home more. It’s all in how you care for them. Don’t be dissin Barrie’s if you don’t take care of them.

Upvote 0

Bottom Dragger

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2021
San Dimas
Name
Bill
Boat Name
Yes
When my son caught his first one (over 20 hrs ago) he insisted we keep it. Cut off all the dark meat, soaked it in milk for a couple hours the marinate in Italian dressing. Grill it. Wasn’t bad at all! Of course, I have’t kept one since then!
I kept one once, I also stayed at a Holiday Inn once.
Neither one was a very good idea.

Upvote 0

Kh1983

May 5, 2017
Orange County
Name
Keith
Boat Name
N/A
Cut Cuda filets info 2-3" cuts. Whip 2-3 eggs in a bowl. Add Italian Bread Crumbs to 2nd Bowl.
Grill or Cook in some Canola or Olive Oil until brown on each side. I also have cooked Yellowtail, Rockfish this way often. Fast and Easy. Tasty! From retired cook Skip on Freelance years ago FYI
Barracuda nuggets! I remember him cooking them up this way in the galley during a wide open cuda bite on the freelance when I was a kid. Good stuff

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Barracuda nuggets! I remember him cooking them up this way in the galley during a wide open cuda bite on the freelance when I was a kid. Good stuff
    YEP then he'd walk around and let everyone sample it. I cook Yellowtail, Rockfish same way too.

Reactions: Kh1983
    Upvote 0
    Apr 2, 2021
    Eureka
    Name
    Aaron Walker
    Boat Name
    Lavro
    The small ones aren't bad, and I am very selective on the fish I kill and eat. You have to steak them, cook them with that bone in. Caught one down in Panama, the guide cut it into 2inch think steaks and they came out great.

Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat Name
    Reel rage
    The small ones aren't bad, and I am very selective on the fish I kill and eat. You have to steak them, cook them with that bone in. Caught one down in Panama, the guide cut it into 2inch think steaks and they came out great.
    Panama cuda' is different and not table fair.but you downed it and lived.

Upvote 0

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
    Homewood
    Name
    Peter D Womack
    Boat Name
    None
    I learned how to fish largely because of good barracuda bites. That season I began with a Ocean Star spinning reel and a Thrifty Drug Store 2 piece rod, fishing anchovies. I ended the season throwing iron with a Jig Master and a custom wrapped Roddy Power Master. Thank You, Gary Nordbye and Billy Miyagawa Sr. Each were my original mentors. May they RIP.

Barracuda are the perfect passenger fish. They pull just hard enough. Minimal amounts of live bait are needed. Passengers soon learn how to cast and follow their fish.
    The Spinner to Jig Master was a Rite of Passage.

Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat Name
    Reel rage
    The Spinner to Jig Master was a Rite of Passage.
    So true I had a cal store ben ray 8' rod 19 bucks big Garcia Mitchell 302 spinning reel.then got a penn squider reel and a Roddy 8' rod. Got real good on that thing had a jig master set up too.9 dollars for overnights to Catalina 11 for overnights to Clement. Lots of kelp back then..

Upvote 0

Nikki J

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
    #1 -Bleed and ice them as soon as they are in the boat.
    #2 - Once you get home, fillet as thin as possible.
    #3 - Marinate the fillets in your refrigerator overnight - in a mixture of olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and Himalayan pink salt.
    #4 - In the morning, throw the entire stinking pile of shit in the garbage :D

Honestly though, the best way I've ever had them is smoked - pretty good
    How do you prepare those for the table?
    They make GREAT ceviche!

Reactions: javierlopez123
    Upvote 0

Nikki J

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
    Barracuda makes the best ceviche I’ve ever made! This is a very good recipe IMO. The key is draining the lime juice after marinating the fish.

Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
    Apr 3, 2007
    Lane Vicky
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat Name
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    Ciguatera time..
    Completely different barracuda.

Reactions: fish_talker_walker
    Upvote 0

Professionull1

San Diego, CA
  • Jun 17, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Alex
    Boat Name
    Barfy
    They aren't the preferred fish to keep but cuda doesn't taste bad.. then again I haven't had any in about 15 years.

Still doesn't mean they aren't at least fun to catch on the surface iron.

Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
    Apr 3, 2007
    Lane Vicky
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat Name
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    When we were kids, dad took us camping at Catalina Island. My 5 brothers and I carried all our gear from the Catalina King (before the express days) to Hermit Gulch because dad would never have paid the 8 bucks for a cab van lift up the hill. Anyone who knows how far Hermit Gulch is from the Harbor knows its up hill and far! We spent the better part of that trip fishing from the Mole for dinner. Fishing was slooow and each night we would eat bologna sandwiches due to nothing to show for the days efforts except an opaleye which of course was fileted and iced awaiting more fish for a meal. This was even when bass limit was 10 per person and 12 inches. I remember the second to last night of our trip that summer the air smelled of anchovy oil the water made noise. Baitfish sprayed out of the surface and as a kid the sound was like throwing a handful of gravel into a lake. I threw out a chrome and blue Point Wilson Dart (dad wouldn't have spent 6 bucks on a Tady or a Salas at the time) on my Diawa Millionaire and Kencore Combo loaded with 12 lb test. A few cranks and that orange yellow blank bent over and my beat up reel sang.. I fought that fish through the kelp and somehow brought it close enough for my dad to bounce it (on 12 lb mind you) the 10 feet up onto the Mole and just in time for the line to snap and lay out the biggest barracuda I had ever seen smashing around the old Mole with the dart still burried in his toothy smile. The flurry lasted for a few minutes and amongst our continued efforts, the barracuda I caught was the one and only hook up or caught fish. My brothers and I watched in amazement as dad fileted the beast threw the carcass over the rail and the gulls fight over the long strips of silver and black skin. There were zero complaints carrying the small Coleman ice chest back up the hill with 6 to seven pounds of fresh fish flesh inside. Dad pulled out his damn ancient cast iron skillet, all 18 lbs of it. He fried up that Cuda in oil and butter until the edges were crispy and caramelized. A smear of best foods mayonnaise across a slice of whitebread and a spatula worth of Cuda laid atop like an open faced sandwich. Now I don't know if it's because we walked so far, I don't know if it's because we were super hungry, I don't even know if it's because we didn't know any better but let me tell you, sitting around that campsite and waving the Yellowjackets away from our plates, with greasy smiles of accomplishment, that was the best tasting fucking barracuda I've ever had!

Upvote 0